Cold Melbourne: Fleas And Heart Worm

Hello people,

My 9-10 year old Lab has been on Sentinel and Interceptor for years now. However, it just dawn upon me that I maybe over preventing my lab from fleas and heartworm.

For all you Melbournians or ex-Mel, do you think it's being overly-pedantic to have flea prevention and heart worm prevention over the winter months in Victoria. Perhaps it's time to save some money and to lessen chemicals in the dog?! I figure our winter is so cold that why would a mosquitos be alive to carry any heart worms? And same with the fleas...they are probably dormant/hibernated at that season?

My dog is strictly outdoor. So she feels the cold. There are no warmth for her and so no warm for the fleas *hah* *hah*. She does interact with other dogs in the park, though.

Pls let me know what you guys do.

Edited by Jess the Lab

Heartworm need about two weeks to develop inside a mosquito and it's temperature dependent, the preferred temperature is around 27 degrees and if it drops below 14 development is halted. I very seldom have a flea problem in Melbourne even during summer and never in winter, if I do find a flea I treat with Advantage. So no, I don't treat for fleas or heartworm during winter and I'm certainly not a fan of the monthly 'all in one' treatments, makes no sense to give chemicals to a dog when they're not needed.

Edited by Miranda

I would just give a monthly heartowrm tablet every 6 weeks over the cooler months, it's what I do here in North East Victoria. I would do fleas only if I saw one. Intestinal worms 2 or 3 times a year. I do not believe in bombarding the system with chemicals that may not even be needed and certainly not all on the one day.

I personally use an all wormer tablet 3-4 times a year, and only use flea treatments over the warmer months.

Sounds about right! I've been reading about MILBEMAX, DRONTAL and CANIMAX dewormer. All are going for once in every 3 months and some every 6 weeks. This Sentinel crap of every month is really overkill.

I personally use an all wormer tablet 3-4 times a year, and only use flea treatments over the warmer months.

Sounds about right! I've been reading about MILBEMAX, DRONTAL and CANIMAX dewormer. All are going for once in every 3 months and some every 6 weeks. This Sentinel crap of every month is really overkill.

Drontal only treats intestinal worms and NOT heartworm. You'd be much better off only giving your dog a heartworm only treatment monthly or every 6 weeks.

My guys are given Advantix in the warmer months but haven't had it now for about a month. I worm every three months because Kirah likes to munch on all sorts of poo (rabbit, duck etc) when at the dog park and they're currently on their final year of the heartworm injection. They won't be getting it any more.

Drontal only treats intestinal worms and NOT heartworm. You'd be much better off only giving your dog a heartworm only treatment monthly or every 6 weeks.

My guys are given Advantix in the warmer months but haven't had it now for about a month. I worm every three months because Kirah likes to munch on all sorts of poo (rabbit, duck etc) when at the dog park and they're currently on their final year of the heartworm injection. They won't be getting it any more.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm actually feeling doubt about doing this heartworm during winter days. It's colder in Mel than NSW :)

"final year of the heartworm injection". Gee, what's that mean? I didn't know there's a medical vaccination for heartworm.

It's called a Pro-Heart injection which covers the dog all year for heartworm. I can't use Advocate on my dogs because it covers heartworm and because mine have had the injection, I'd be like triple dosing.

Since becoming a more active member her on DOL, I've decided against giving my two the heartworm injection any more. I'd rather not inject a yearly supply of heartworm medication into their bodies in one hit -- even more so since they have it done at the same time as their yearly vaccinations.

You could look into HeartGard tablets for treating heartworm, however, it also treats for hookworm and roundworm too.

I lived in Gippsland for many years and now in the Mallee for the last 20+. I use Drontal for worming about twice a year, flea killer when needed and haven't seen any for years, never 'heart wormed' a dog in all those years and haven't had a problem. The less is better IMO.