Breeder Unhappy With My Questions

ziggyboy

Maybe just phone the breeder. Communication break-downs & concerns can be worked thro', if people speak with each other.

There's more cues to what people are meaning & feeling.

As above. Best advice.

The more you post the worse its sounding & people are maybe seeing it the wrong way.

Its either their nature or cultural for some people to bargain, barter or make sure their money is well spent.

It doesn't mean they will be a bad owner, always go with the cheapest or skimp on the dogs care. Its just not appreciated by breeders naturally because a dog is not an object & it does not come across well seeming to devalue the baby they love.

Time to be quiet now & phone the breeder if you really want this puppy.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm... Well, this was my puppy buying experience:

1. Spend a year agonising over whether or not we could or should have two dogs (an increase on our beloved one). Decide yes, we can.

2. Spend the next year convincing the o/h that having two dogs is a great idea! Finally obtain agreement.

3. Another six months deciding on breed, and doing research applicable to that breed.

4. Finally, find a great breeder with a great litter.

5. Call breeder. Have lovely, long conversation about dogs/me/my other dog/ ect.

6. Plan 20 hr (round trip) drive to collect puppy.

7. Call and email breeder repeatedly; send breeder pictures of my mum knitting a coat for new puppy (poor lady has no grandchildren).

8. Ask breeder politely before I leave for puppy collection, how much money I need to bring with me?

:rofl: I am a bit hopeless with money/bargaining though. But just wanted to emphasise, from the puppy-buyer perspective, that price/cost is really the last thing on the list I thought about- and most breeders feel the same way. The worry is, that if the second vaccine is a concern cost-wise- what happens if the puppy becomes ill? Would you be reluctant to spend the money needed to take it to the vet?

I'm sure you wouldn't, but that is the impression your email may have given to the breeder. IMvho.

Given most puppies go home at 8 weeks the 2nd vac is up to the new owner. I wouldn't feel it appropriate to ask for a discount because you are able to take the pup a few weeks earlier.

In regards to reducing costs for transport by asking the breeder to drop the puppy off at the Airport, I know many breeders who will take their pups to the Airport but I guess it depends on distance.

I think the breeder is merely reading between the lines as I would too if you're questioning costs/asking for discounts...would make me wonder if you can actually afford all the expenses. The fact that you earn a 6 figure salary and are asking for a discount for the 2nd vaccination is a bit odd?

There is nothing wring with asking the price of a puppy. I don't have unlimited funds to buy a pup, same goes for most people. I am a good owner who spared no expense on her dogs but I do like to know what I'm paying. I have never actually had to ask as the one breeder who I did email gave me the cost details without prompting.

However, I can understand the breeder questioning you about your repeated requests For a discount/to save money. As others have said, what you earn is no indication of what you'll do for your dog. The breeder might be worried about you shopping around for the cheapest vet, the cheapest equipment, not taking the dog to an emergency vet because an overnight stay with nothing but a saline drip will cost you $1000 etc etc.

Call the breeder and talk the them direct. Think about whet you are prepared to spend and what you're not prepared to spend too. Then have an honest, frank conversation about this.

When i got my pup 5 years ago the RSPCA said that you should budget $800 per year for the care of an adult dog (more in the first year). That figure is very low IMO. as I said before, if something goes wrong on a weekend you could easily part with a few thousand dollars.

I kept every receipt for dog related stuff for a year for my two dogs. Turns out I spend about $5000 per year on them, and I certainly don't buy a lot of stuff for them, and they don't have any major health issues either.

The purchase price is like pocket change compared to what you'll spend on a dog in the 15 or so years it will live.

There has been alot of different views on here, so I will put in my 2 cents too. Lol I have 3 dogs, I bought my first girl when I was 15, newspaper add but I rang and put a deposit on her and picked her up at 8 weeks. This was 6 years ago. I bought my ssecond dog about 2 years ago now, now my boy had 'papers' and I bought him from interstate from a breeder.. nice lady who had him but the breeder was dodgy as and later down the track I wasnt really happy with the price etc. But my point was I didn't look around, I didn't know the average price for my breed but I assumed it was normal. I emailed the breeder and got into contact with the lady who had him.

My third dog, she is a show dog and trust me I rang and emailed many breeders to inform them what I was after. . I waited awhile but I can say I have a gorgeous girl and a fantastic breeder.

Best thing to do is give them a call, you might feel awkward but your both people and there are dodgy breeders and dodgy people out there. Talk it out and discuss how to figure out the best way to deal with it, most breeders will be more than happy to chat. Best of luck and as time goes on you get better :-)

Edited by JessicaM

I kept every receipt for dog related stuff for a year for my two dogs. Turns out I spend about $5000 per year on them, and I certainly don't buy a lot of stuff for them, and they don't have any major health issues either.

The purchase price is like pocket change compared to what you'll spend on a dog in the 15 or so years it will live.

To put those costs into perspective too ... I'm given a $10 voucher for every $500 I spend in Pet Barn. I get those vouchers nearly every 2 to 3 weeks! :eek:

To put those costs into perspective too ... I'm given a $10 voucher for every $500 I spend in Pet Barn. I get those vouchers nearly every 2 to 3 weeks! :eek:

Good lord! How many dogs is that for? I could never spend that much my dogs dont need that much stuff. Its taken me16 months to get my 10th free bag of food. Ive had two $10 vouchers.

What do you spend it on? I probably spend about $20 pw on dog food for 5 dogs. I might be a little bit more but not much. I'm curious as to how dogs can cost so much.

Oh it's not that the dogs cost a lot -- they're just very bloody spoiled st the moment.

I'm in a huge depressive spiral at the moment and my way of dealing is that I buy things. For the last year, it's been dog products. Toys, bowls, accessories, new lead and collar etc every shopping trip. I never just come out with a bag of food

If I was right of mind, I'd only be buying dry food about every 6 months and cat food.

I am decreasing my spending habits immensely though -- I'm up to a voucher every couple of months now.

My name is RSA and I'm a dog spoiler-a-holic. :(

I do get where the op is comming from, i would want to know the price of the dog and i get peed off that it seems to be a bit taboo i'm a single mum and i need to know if i can afford the purchase price, just like anything i buy too many breeders are too uptight about that one.

I too haggle over anything i can, and do lots of research before i buy anything, but a dog, no, that is based on matching the right dog for my family, i would never dream of haggling or asking for a discount on anything.If i can't afford it i don't buy it.

My last dog came from a breeder interstate, initially they didn't want me to have her without going to see them, with 2 kids and a business it just wasn't feasable, it looked like all was lost, until i called them, emails dont give you that

"feel", we spent hours chatting ( well, the husband was very chatty, the wife gave me yes ,no answers and it was like pulling hens teeth), but once they spoke to me they were fine with it all.

I arranged transport etc as i considered it my job.

i can see both sides to this, and its only from years being on here i now know how to approach it, newbies don't.

earning a big salary means nothing, and i wouldn't mention it.

Perhaps send another email saying you apologise if you sounded blunt, but you are new to it all,and ask if they would prefer to chat about it?

As a breeder, no problem at all with asking about price - in fact, if someone is asking about pups and doesn't ask about price in that first conversation, then I will tell them anyway. I want people to know how much we charge for pups. For me, it's the haggling that turns me off.

To be blunt, if you sounded in your emails the way you sound in your post, I would be concerned that you couldn't afford the puppy. Never mind that you earn a six figure salary. Unless you've said that to the breeder, she wouldn't know. Honestly, asking for a discount because of the second vaccination just makes you sound like a cheapskate. You may be, I don't know, but I certainly wouldn't want to sound like that to anyone let alone someone I'm getting a dog from. It would raise too many alarm bells where none are needed.

I agree with this. I always worry that new owners may not be in a position to give their new pup the best of care should an incident occur, and asking for reduced price on this and reduced price on that, it would indeed concern me that you can't afford the dog. Even if you were just "comparing prices"..... you chose a pup from THAT breeder and from THAT litter because THAT is exactly what you want, and if it's $50, $100 or even $500 dearer than some other pups in the breed it shouldn't matter.... you are getting exactly what you want. And to add, if figures such as these ARE a problem, then maybe you can't afford the puppy...

As a breeder, no problem at all with asking about price - in fact, if someone is asking about pups and doesn't ask about price in that first conversation, then I will tell them anyway. I want people to know how much we charge for pups. For me, it's the haggling that turns me off.

This.

Although I do confess that an initial email which simply asks "do you have puppies and how much are they" (or similar) tends to get my back up a tad. Makes it seem like the ONLY interest is price and that isn't good either. Emails like this will generally get a reply along the lines of "how did you find my details and what is it you are looking for in the breed/breeder etc".

IMO whether puppies are sold at 8 weeks, 10 weeks or however old, whichever vaccination comes "next" in the regime is the responsibility of the purchaser unless otherwise stated IF the puppy is in the hands of the purchaser at that time.

If however other agreements have been made then that is different. For example my Stafford litter 3 years ago saw one of the puppies stay with me until she was 13 weeks old (my puppies normally go to new homes at 10 weeks) because her "parents" were on an "early" honeymoon overseas. I was happy to keep her for the extra time and didn't charge them board and when the time came to take her brother and sister (who I retained) for their 12 week vaccinations, she went at the same time and I didn't ask for, or expect reimbursement.

Another example is that I am the sort of person who, if quoted $400 for 30 min plumbing job, would question the price or call around. I know of people who earn half my salary who wouldn't and just pay up... now I don't know if that's the average type of person. I may be abnormal or just too cautious I don't know... but it's not because I can't afford it. I just want to make an informed decision.

There are plenty of people like you out there. You are buying a puppy, not getting a plumbing job or a new car. You don't haggle with the price of a pet, it makes you sound like a scab.

Just pay the money and enjoy your puppy :thumbsup:

I'm not a breeder or a potential puppy buyer but I'll give my two cents anyway.

Say most of the puppies from the litter were going out at around 10 weeks with one vaccination. Due to that time frame not being good for you the breeder is happy to keep the pup with them for the extra two weeks at no extra charge to you and they will also get the second vacc done as well with out asking you for more money to cover the cost.

So, circumstances change, you are taking puppy two weeks earlier but you are now asking for a discount for something you were not being charged for in the first place.

Call the breeder (as others suggested) and get it sorted so then you can look forward to all your puppy cuddles and puppy naughtiness and hopefully a long, amicable and supportive relationship with the breeder. smile.gif

I can understand the breeder sending you that email.

From your post it really comes across as though money is a major concern for you and the driving force behind your decisions.

That may not at all be the case in reality; but that is definitely the way you are coming across.

The fact that you have researched a lot about price, yet don't know that a pup generally comes with one vaccination, also does not come across well because it seems evidence that you're more interested in saving money than learning about what you need to know to take care of your puppy. Again, I want to reiterate that you may not be like that at al, but it is the impression that comes across.

I know from your other thread that you are obviously quite considerate and concerned with choosing the right breed and the welfare of your gf's pet, so I am pretty sure that you are different to how you are coming across in your posts in this thread. So just talk to the breeder. As people have said getting a puppy is not a time to question every little cost and to try to find bargains. The money you pay for the pup and its transportation to you will be but a drop in the ocean to the ongoing costs of maintaining the puppy; so concentrate your efforts on making good value for money decisions about the everyday costs of puppy raising and having a dog and just pay the breeder the money she has asked for - it is obviously a reasonable amount or you wouldn't have gone with it in the first place.