Looking For Dog Food Without...

Artemis now have a single source of protein food available called SOS.

Unfortunatey they all have chicken fat in them.

I actually thought you said he wasnt allergic to chicken though, also 99% of dogs that are allergic to a meat are allergic to the protein source, not the fat.

Having vast experience with an allergy dog myself I'd highly suggest you get your dog allergy tested to determine exactly what the triggers are, I did the SPOT blood test for my girl which can actually determine potential food allergies too. She is allergic to chicken meat ( protein) but is fine with chicken fat in the food. She reacts to many other things and has been on the desensitizing injections for the past 4 years,with great success I might add, it would be physically impossible to remove all the allergens from this dogs life, grasses, plants, etc etc. unless I locked her up in a sterile environment and that is no life for a dog.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not my dog, but the OP stated they wished to avoid chicken, including fat, as the dog already gets so much of it.

They also mentioned the vet supervised elimination diet they did to identify the allergic foods.

But now they have a fresh meat supplier who delivers and is affordable so the problem is solved.

Hi k9Katz..Diva is spot on. Because he doesn't react to chicken and it is readily available - he has been fed chicken and chicken based products nearly exclusively since he was about seven months old (now three and a half). He does beautifully on Nutro chicken and rice but I wanted to give his system a break from chicken for awhile.

As already mentioned... although we haven't had him tested for environmental allergens when we avoid couch and kykuyu grass and feed him chicken, beef or kangaroo his reactions disappear completely - so it is really very manageable. Our property is planted with indigenous species so the grass isn't a massive problem (so glad we don't have lawn!) and living by the beach we have lots of grass free exercise opportunities.

Yesterday I switched him over to kangaroo and VAN (never did hear back from any of the companies selling dry that I requested a sample from :o ) and I'll mix the kangaroo up with beef mince and beef and kangaroo bones - now that I have access to a reliable supplier :dancingelephant: . VAN is available at all the pet stores down this way so I don't need to be concerned about ever running out of that.

I plan to keep him chicken free for about eight weeks (to late June)- this new supplier gives me confidence this is achievable :cheer: .

Thanks to everyone for their ideas so far - Vulcan and I really do appreciate it :flower:

Edited by Polgara's Shadow

As mentioned by many, consider Artemis SOS range

http://www.artemispetfood.com.au/products/sos-duck-brown-rice/

It's designed for limited ingredient diet (Lesser stuff so you have a bit more control).

Currently on introductory sale in http://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au/ARTEMIS-DOG-S.O.S-DUCK-%26-BROWN-RICE-3.4KG-p-20564

Or as mentioned earlier by somebody here, the Canidae Pure Sky.

Edited by Jess the Lab

I haven't read the while thread, but just had a thought as I was going to exit.

Perhaps talk to your local butcher or one in Frankston about getting in beef, rabbit, kangaroo especially for you on, say, a monthly basis. Or to a wholesaler who may be prepared to send you smaller quantities.

It must be so hard managing pets with food allergies because you cannot rely 100% on prepared foods not to have at least come in contact with some of the food the animal is allergic to.

Rascal - I just read the D&D website and they DELIVER FREE to my area once a week!!! I'm gobsmacked!!! I had no idea this company existed :dancingelephant: :dancingelephant: :dancingelephant: :dancingelephant: :dancingelephant:

They seem to have plenty of raw beef and roo products so I could go back to mince and VAN with a few bones thrown in. Hopefully they area careful about cleaning the mincing equipment so we dont have a contamination problem again.

You've made my April :happydance2::rock:

Just red this post, Polgara, and I was wondering how it is working out.

Hi DD hes been on kangaroo and van complete mix for a week now. He also gets the van omega blend added and the odd egg. I dropped into a mornington pet shop yesterday and picked up some of the van skin and coat powder to add - when ive fed van before his coat hasnt been as lustrous as on Nutro chicken and rice so I'm hoping the powder will help with this. The pet shop also had some fresh kangaroo bones so he got one as a treat last night and ive frozan another for later in the week.

Ironically since starting this thread penninsula supermarkets and pet stores have had plenty of kangaroo mince and bones available so I havent had to rely on D&Ds yet. My local supermarket had 3kg bags of pet mince during the week which claims to be beef and kangaroo so ive bought one to try - never seen this before. But I know the supermarket and pet store supply can be fickle and I want to add more beef for its higher fat content so Im sure I'll be needing them over the next few weeks.

He is loving the change too. Hes jumping in the air and spinning around with excitement while I prepare his meals and doing 'speccies' off me while I take his filled bowl outside.

Thanks for asking.