Dog Rooms

Podengo

Oh I love the converted fireplace(?) thingy. Ours are covered up due to space but one of them has a dog bed right in front of it and could be turned into a gorgeous cubby (without the crate door which kind of ruins the look for me :laugh: )

One reason I purchased this house was because of the 'dog room'!

It would have been just a veranda at one stage and has had walls added. The roof is still laser light. It is fairly large. The dogs slept out there all summer but I will have them inside during winter.

They have beds, a crate and their feed tins in there.

The room looks into the laundry and the family room, so they can see inside the house when in there.

I like having somewhere safe to lock them up too.

2i9nts1.jpg

My biggest regret when I bought this house was that I didn't stick with my desire to have a family/rumpus style room which would be the main "hang out" room.

I didn't want a dog room specifically, just a place where we could all be together. Mainly I wanted the dining and lounge room areas to be tidy, styled and with with minimum dog hair decorations. :laugh:

I've tried to wean Jeune off the couch and recently went for 3 days, but she was so miserable, hanging around with her tail tucked in and looking totally lost and forlorn. Evently I gave in, covered the couch with a large blanket and she is happy again. Talk about a Prima Donna. Now who can I blame :D :D

Some great & novel ideas.

Only viewed the first 4 pages as its dial up only here & slow.

Loved the dog wallpaper in one room so that set me off googling poodle wallpaper. Suprised that someone makes it & lots of fabric too.

I caught the tail end of an article about the "rise of dog rooms" and what it means for breeders. I'll try and find it, but basically it said that with the rise in "dog rooms" comes a drop in fertility and general hardiness of the dogs, because they spend all day laying around in their air con and heating and not out in the fresh and sunshine.

Our rental has a "sunroom" which is a room inbetween the lounge room and kitchen, the floor is lino and it's got access to the backyard, so it became the "dog room". If we owned the house I would do it properly and awesomely decorate it for them, but for now it's just baby gated off from the rest off the house (they only get locked in there when we are out).

There is an old desk which holds all their stuff, and some shelves. Under the desk is Bostons man cave, with his crate and beanbag bed, although Max is most often found asleep in his crate and his moves his beanbag bed out to other places lol

The kitchen has also become part of the dog room, slowly and gradually and under the kitchen bench is Max's girlcave, which Boston has taken over as his Mancave too :laugh:

Not a dog room but on our recent holiday we saw a very clever " kennel" - it was an old huge TV set/cabinet. All the workings had been pulled out and lined with carpet. the legs were taken off. the dog just lay in it looking out through the "screen". It was a British Bulldog and looked very regal.

I caught the tail end of an article about the "rise of dog rooms" and what it means for breeders. I'll try and find it, but basically it said that with the rise in "dog rooms" comes a drop in fertility and general hardiness of the dogs, because they spend all day laying around in their air con and heating and not out in the fresh and sunshine.

Myra Savant discusses this in her books etc. The fact that dogs are inside in 'dog rooms' more and not getting out into the sunshine as much can affect their general health as well as fertility. She recommends getting them outside more (of course) and also full spectrum lighting inside. Must admit some of those designs are pretty funky though! Quite a few good ideas.

Edited by espinay2

It would have been just a veranda at one stage and has had walls added. The roof is still laser light. It is fairly large. The dogs slept out there all summer but I will have them inside during winter.

The room looks into the laundry and the family room, so they can see inside the house when in there.

2i9nts1.jpg

I love that chair Jules.

We have a dog room for our three youngest dogs, who are all under 18 months old and still in the crazy loony stage.

I work from home so our dogs have access to both outside and the house all day long (and spend most of the day outside, by choice), but if I go out, then our older dogs have the run of the house, but the three madcaps have their own bedroom. They also sleep in there at night. It is a room directly off our bedroom (weird house layout) and is totally bare apart from their crates/beds and toys. There is a wooden slat gate separating their room from our room, so they can see and hear us at night.

In the evenings we're all in the lounge together (we bought a ginormous lounge suite just so everyone could all fit on it), but if the pups won't settle then they get put into their room. It also means that the older dogs can get a rest from the puppy energy.

A lot of those dog rooms upset me, they seem so far removed from the main part of the house and if it's a single dog it's being excluded from the "pack" and doesn't know why.

Myra Savant discusses this in her books etc. The fact that dogs are inside in 'dog rooms' more and not getting out into the sunshine as much can affect their general health as well as fertility. She recommends getting them outside more (of course) and also full spectrum lighting inside. Must admit some of those designs are pretty funky though! Quite a few good ideas.

I like the designs and the ideas too. I've seen some great ideas for beds using old cabinets and desks.

In our current house we don't really have a proper dog room, Elsie's crate is in the laundry which is part of an open plan laundry, kitchen and lounge. If everyone goes out we put an ex-pen up so she is confined to the laundry. The burglar alarm doesn't have a sensor in there, and the floor is tiled so she can't set the alarm off and it doesn't matter if she was to have an accident. She is only left alone for an hour or two a week at the most.

My parents have a spare bedroom with a sliding door opening onto a little porch and a large deer fenced area, the dogs have access to that when no one is home.

Love the chair too, where is it from?

A shop called The Complete Garden.

I need to work out an indoors dog room as the dogs have now kept me awake for 2 nights now as I have them sleeping in the laundry room as their room isn't heated. They are making noise on the wooden floorboards in there.

2i9nts1.jpg

Jules, looks lovely! Lucky doggies!

We had a dog room, it was the laundry/ storage/ dog room, with the back door going out onto the deck.

Now, that room has been enclosed and turned into a 4th bedroom, so the dog has been booted out onto the back deck along with the washing machine and dryer. He is not impressed. The deck does have a roof on it now and doesn't get wet when it rains, so he is perfectly fine out there during the day. He sleeps on a couch in the loungeroom at night.