Need Ideas For Keeping My Girl Warm

Little Gifts

It is definately getting colder - over the past two nights our two little seniors have been getting under the blankets with me instead of sleeping on top of the bed.

Our three younger dogs sleep in their own room off our room, and we have a thermostatically controlled wall heater in their room. The heater was very cheap to buy, less than $100 delivered from 00.com.au. It is electric, so of course costs to run, but it's only on at night and has the added benefit of flowing through to our bedroom because of the way the two rooms are off each other. I'm happy to pay the few extra dollars in the power bill to make sure everyone's toasty warm overnight. Because it's thermostatically controlled it keeps the room at an even temperature.

Before the heater we put blankets over the dogs, of course they had shrugged them off well before morning, PJs were chewed off during play. The heater is a great solution.

The snuggle pads are very small so you will need to use 2. Wheat bags stay warm just as long & are no colder than a cold plastic snuggle pad, actually they are a bit warmer ending up like a pillow & normal temperature.

Be careful. I overheated mine & it blew up & the gel leaked out, so funny but it scared me when it popped.

The crate is all rugged up (pending the purchase of 2 snuggle safes) so we'll see how she does tonight. I could use a wheat bag in the interim as well. I think she will be ok once it gets cold enough for me to put the air con heater on at bed time as that takes the nip out of the air for all of us!

Ash I can't believe your dogs have their own room! Mind you it is actually very practical if you are a multi dog house! I have plans to build a large laundry off the back of my house so the dogs always have somewhere more comfy to hang out when I'm not home!

Snuggle safe Pet Safe discs. http://www.snugglesafe.co.uk/heatpad.htm

I use these for myself. They stay warm all night. They are not suitable for animals that cannot move away from the heat source if they get too hot.

Shop around because the price varies a lot.

+1 on these. I use them for the pugs because they are really safe when they decide to play with them.

Fortifying her crate last night didn't make a scrap of difference but I couldn't find my wheat bag (think I loaned it). I think she just has no idea how to warm herself. She curls up in a ball on top of my shins and buries her nose, which is hardly going to help spread body warmth around all that exposed back. I did manage to get a blanket over the top of part of her last night for a bit by rubbing her then adding the blanket and rubbing with that but of course she moved at some point and we were back to her shivering and shaking the bed. So I'll borrow a wheat bag until my snugglesafes arrive. I'll keep persisting with the blanket rub cause you never know, she might come to accept it. Not like it doesn't have her smell all over it already!

I am so glad that I read through this thread .... haven't been a DOL'er for very long and am doing a lot of reading while we wait for our furbaby to come home to us ..... never heard of a snugglesafe before but after reading here and a little research I bought one today .... :eek: at the variation in prices though!!! Got mine on ebay and hope that it arrives by Wednesday!