Itching In Lactating Bitch

Ons

One of my housemate's dogs is extremely itchy with red raw patches. She has two pups, two weeks old. Anything that we can do to help Saphire. We don't believe that it is flea related, she has been frontlined.

The dog is a German Coolie, with impecable bloodlines and breeding.

thank you

Edited by Ons

Frontline DOES NOT work for fleas. I'm constantly being told about dogs having itching problems and the foster/owner always says "it isn't fleas" but in pretty much every case, it HAS been fleas.

If the patches are on her back/rear end, chances are that it is fleas.

Has she been to a vet?

Is she in the house or in a barn/kennel run? Most of the people who say it isn't fleas aren't living in the same area as the dog.

There has to be something in the environment I would have thought. Has she got access to an area with Wandering Jew?

Best to get it sorted asap as if it is fleas, puppies will perhaps become anaemic ...

Could be allergies or a hormone issue, but I wouldn't rule out fleas. They seem to be really bad this year for some reason. I'd try bathing her with Calendula Tea (naturally soothing and anti-inflammatory) and then treat her with Advantage.

thanks everyone

she was in a kennel run out front away from the other dogs (she was able to get out during the day and would often come inside and spend it with us but checking on her children regularly) but now we have moved her under the house where the floor is 100% concrete.

The reason we thought it wasn't fleas as we checked her very thoroughly.

Thanks for everyone's help, some good ideas there :)

thanks everyone

she was in a kennel run out front away from the other dogs (she was able to get out during the day and would often come inside and spend it with us but checking on her children regularly) but now we have moved her under the house where the floor is 100% concrete.

The reason we thought it wasn't fleas as we checked her very thoroughly.

Thanks for everyone's help, some good ideas there :)

MOSQUITOES/ They are prevalent Atm

thanks everyone

we did move her under the house - which is a well used area - fully concreted, and she seems less itchy than she did yesterday so fingers crossed.

The two pups are doing very well, they are just fat fat fat slugs, huge but Mum has plenty of milk and there are only two of them. They have just opened their eyes, excitement of coolie litters is what colour are they going to be born and then the next excitement what colour are their eyes going to be :) the little black girl, Minnie, has brown eyes but her sister Mousie a little chocolate girl has blue eyes :D

!

I'll post some later, when my housemate gets home from work and one of my older boy who is a solid black with a touch of white so Simply Grand can see some solid coolies :) .

Still all going well thank goodness :)

solid coolie pup - Esmeralda

URL=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/onslowanddaisy/media/Facebook/Untitled%20Album/603827_10151568989646591_527966204_n.jpg.html]603827_10151568989646591_527966204_n.jpg[/url]

thanks SG!

Uncle FlashBazil is not normally impressed with puppies :laugh:

Mum is a modern mum, she doesn't believe in demand feeding but feeds them when she thinks they need to be, imagine the size of them if she was demand feeding :laugh: :eek:

solid colour coolie pups are the best and so necessary, breeding merle to merle will often result in deaf pups so something that good breeders don't do