What Would Your Dog Do?

Blackdogs

This makes me think that the the loudest barkers are not necessarily the ones who would actually act. The dog is a mongrel, 30 kg tan bully type btw.

I do not take the dog into public but I suspect any aggression toward the person holding his leash would draw a similar reaction.

I don't think how loudly a dog barks is really relevant to whether they would bite someone, lots of dogs, in fact most, bark at people coming to the front door etc. Some people also seem to think that because the dog has stopped barking or isn't barking that means they aren't going to bite you.

If they became aggressive I think she would probably feel the need to act in one way or another but I suspect if they let themselves be driven off by barking then she would leave it at that. If they came at me I guess she would interfere and honestly, if she did not behave in this way then her breeders would have bred a very poor Weimaraner indeed... Guarding and actively protecting their master and his possessions are firmly anchored in the breed's purpose, even though many seem to have forgotten this.

Just being a specific breed doesn't guarantee the dog will act in a certain way, not every German Shepherd is capable of being a protection dog for example and even if the genetics are there training still plays a part in giving the dog experience and confidence so it knows what to do. If you really want to know rather than guess what your dog is capable of doing, get a professional to assess and test it. Then you know for sure!

Depends on whos testing and what for. A Personal Protection dog is not the same as a sports dog.It doesn't have to have high drives or even much prey at all.It can be a very soft dog that just wants to be loved by every one. It does not need to be on the offense.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely agree Moosmum that a PP dog isn't the same as a sports dog, and when testing if you know what to look for its there to find. However I disagree that a PP dog could be "very soft" - genetically it needs hard nerves to have confidence in confrontational situations. A weak or soft dog might bite out of fear but a PP dog needs to display some social dominance and confidence when pressured.

Definitely agree Moosmum that a PP dog isn't the same as a sports dog, and when testing if you know what to look for its there to find. However I disagree that a PP dog could be "very soft" - genetically it needs hard nerves to have confidence in confrontational situations. A weak or soft dog might bite out of fear but a PP dog needs to display some social dominance and confidence when pressured.

Confidence and nerves,yes. I can't agree social dominance is always needed though. Social confidence,definitely.

It depends on your definition of dominant I guess. I think confidence and dominance can be confused. A confident,social dog can be eager to please,affectionate and have excellent social skills.A dog who avoids confrontation on it own behalf,and with out encouragement may just be trusting its owners as leaders to handle a situation.Its not always weak nerved to defer.

A dog that displays social dominance or confidence or whatever you like to call it when pressured doesn't make it a dog that can't also be a friendly well mannered etc. It also doesn't mean it is soft just because it is friendly to people, is eager to please, can play with other dogs and so on. Maybe we have different ways of wording the same qualities. :)

Huski, that's what I'm thinking with mine, Quinn especially. She is super friendly normally but has definitely shown social dominance with other dogs, both in defense of herself and my other dogs. She hasn't actually gone over the top or caused physical harm but she has seriously 'warned' OTT dogs twice (both bull breeds so prob physically stronger than her) and has pinned a Fox Terrier who nipped her face with her mouth - his fur was wet but no injury.

Huski, what are your thoughts on that kind of dog to dog behaviour vs dog to human protective behaviour? (no pressure, just interested :) )

Edited by Simply Grand

I think that what your describing is generally more resource guarding than anything else and it can be fairly common. It's also pretty common to find dogs that don't tolerate rude behavior from other dogs and will respond accordingly. I don't think that behavior around other dogs will really tell you what your dog will do if threatened by a person, we wouldn't for example test how a dog responds to other dogs around the owner if we were assessing it.

Luckily it would be rare for someone to find themselves in a situation where they had an intruder in their house etc. in many cases the fact you have a dog is often a good deterrent on its own. I hope I never have a need to test my dogs training in a real life situation (as much as I know she's love it :laugh:).

Thanks huski :) I know, when you mentioned having a dog assessed for their reaction I thought ooh, that would be interesting, then realised hang on, I don't actually want her to physically try and protect me!

I do think the three of them barking, including Quinn's 'serious' bark, would help deter your average burglar. And I would definitely have a vocal warning if someone did try to break in, I'd grab the phone and run outside, like others have done.

When a dog is assessed you aren't looking for "protectiveness" of the owner, getting a dog to protect an object or person is something that is trained. Rather you are looking for the dog to display certain qualities through different tests. In real life though having a dog is a good deterrent and if your dog barks it is making noise that puts people off. And realistically, the type of dog that is suitable for protection work or similar isn't the kind of dog most people want as pets.

We have a 6 month old Ridgeback, and I did post on here about one of our friend's walking in when he was 4 months and he was alone in the house himself, He screamed blue murder lol my OH came running from the garden an seen his friend standing still at the front door like... 'I never touched him'. He's still a baby, though I have found he has two different reactions when strangers come over, If someone comes round and knocks on the door, we then open the door and they enter, he's never aggressive or noisy but he doesn't settle with them, won't go near them basically ignores them, typical ridgeback trait, but if someone come's round and we go outside as their coming up our driveway, he is excited and goes for a sniff and settles immediately with them,will go up for pat's and is very waggy?? even after they've then entered the house. Any ideas on the first door knocking encounters?, I thought it was probably because he's not invited them in to HIS house.

edit - My typings awful, Im on my phone! sorry

Edited by RidgieAmy

A dog that displays social dominance or confidence or whatever you like to call it when pressured doesn't make it a dog that can't also be a friendly well mannered etc. It also doesn't mean it is soft just because it is friendly to people, is eager to please, can play with other dogs and so on. Maybe we have different ways of wording the same qualities. :)

Very likely :D

But many untrained dogs who have stepped up to protect their owners ARE family pets. I just think a genuine protective instinct in a dog on its own, doesn't always come in a dog thats hard to live with,or so easily predictable.( I've seen a dog terrified of snakes bolt at 1st sign of one,but return just long enough to pull the snake off another dog who had grabbed it half way along its body.It was biting him on the shoulder).Its a quality that can be bred for independent of some of the other drives sought in a purely working dog.

Edited by moosmum

My heart dog (went to the Bridge in 2004) stood over me on my bed when she was 10 weeks old and told my flatmate there was no way he was entering my room while I was asleep... the poor guy was only trying to tell me there was a phonecall for me... lol!

She was the perfect dog in every respect - good with people, other animals, etc - but she wouldn't hesitate to stand between me and a threat and make it known that she wasn't allowing anything bad to happen to me. She proved this on a couple of occasions...

T.

Are they protecting their owners or being fear aggressive (in an appropriate way in the case of intruders) though? I think we often read things into our dog's behaviour that isn't there.

Lucy will stand up to someone entering the house when I'm there, but not when I'm out. I don't for one second believe that she is protecting me. Rather, she is still fearful but has more confidence to stand up to the "intruder" because I am there to back her up.

Willow snapped and growled at my BIL because he jumped to his feet, shouted and waved a fist at my DH. Willow jumped I front of my DH (he was sitting on the floor) and growl/barked, and air snapped. We were all taken aback - especially my BIL - he was just repeating a scene from the footy club :laugh: . Willow is most definitely a family dog, sleeps inside, LOVES kids, is gentle with all, but has big prey drive. She is stubborn, and hard in nature, but not aggressive.

I have no idea what my dogs would do. The only thing I can be 100% sure of is that the Samoyeds will bark if someone shows up at the house.

My Lab, in his youthful days would have alerted me to someone coming in the yard and act quick aggressively (he has some screws lose poor guy) but today he didn't make a peep when the gas guy showed up.

On the other hand though when someone tried to get into our yard by climbing the back fence one evening the dogs went wild and rushed the fence as a pack snarling and growling, standing their ground and snapping at the guy.

And one of the boys has jumped in front of me growling when I was threatened once.

I wouldn't count on mine to do a thing .

I count on my dallys very big bark if anyone comes near the house, and my BT'S looks :laugh:

But if push came to shove, doubt any of them would protect me, they would run and hide i'm sure!

I have Border collies. Have owned this breed since childhood. Have always found them to be very loyal/faithful. Some quite fiercely protective of me. Others not so much.

Sonny always lets me know if there is anybody about. Big bark, sounds cranky but in all honesty I doubt he would take it much further. Apart from put the kettle on for them :laugh:

Stella would be the one that would bail someone up if they went to enter the b/yard & she didn't know them. She growls when we walk of a night & someone might walk up a bit close to

us if she takes a dislike to them. I have to watch her as she does bare her teeth etc sometimes & I do think given the opportunity she may take it further. It is out of fear IMHO.

I had a rescue BC for almost 15 years, wonderful dog but hardly ever barked if there was anyone about. He would bail them up. Had a couple of instances with the meter reader. He would ring

me on his mobile & I'd have to go & call "Redman" off him so he could leave :o He would let them in but wouldn't allow them to leave. He gave no warning signals either & he was lightening fast.

Had some furniture delivered one day & as the guy was coming through the front door carrying the lounge suite, fine but when he went to walk out Redman grabbed him by his jeans leg & wouldn't

let go, growling etc :o Just certain people, always men, if he didn't like then.

We had a man come to do some work in our b/yard & he wouldn't let him get down off his tractor. Every time the poor man went to get down, he'd lunge at him teeth bared. I had to tie him

up until he was finished. Must say I can understand why as he was extremely abused both physically & mentally by his previous owners. He never once so much as growled at me though, ever.

He was natures gentleman with me. I adored him.

Edited by BC Crazy

Our Tibbie girls did the right thing again last night. We were out all day, to return late at night. Our neighbours check our girls & give them a meal in those circumstances (& we do the same for their dog).

The husband told us this morning how well the girls guarded their house. At 8 p.m he jumped the side fence to come over to check them. As soon as his feet touched the grass in our yard, the girls barked a warning from inside the house. 'Dogs in charge!'. And kept it up until he called to them... 'It's me, girls!' Then he got the biggest welcome at the back deck door.

He remarked what amazing hearing dogs must have.

Edited by mita

Are they protecting their owners or being fear aggressive (in an appropriate way in the case of intruders) though? I think we often read things into our dog's behaviour that isn't there.

Lucy will stand up to someone entering the house when I'm there, but not when I'm out. I don't for one second believe that she is protecting me. Rather, she is still fearful but has more confidence to stand up to the "intruder" because I am there to back her up.

No doubt there are times when its fear aggression,but in many cases it most definitely isn't.In a dog with out good nerves,theres going to be an element of fear anyway so it would be very hard to tell the difference.

Yes,we often read things that aren't there,but in the pursuit of science it can be too easy to explain away whats in front of us too. Why does a LSG protect his flock? Fear? Resource?

Out of general interest:

What breed do you have and what do you think they would do if a stranger entered your yard/house unnanounced while you were out? Would their behaviour be different if they were alone and not with your other dogs?

How do you think your dog/s would behave if an unwelcome visitor entered your home while you were home?

How do you think they would behave if this person became physically confrontational with you?

Of course, we can only guess unless the situation has arisen in the past, but I would be interested to know how people think their chosen breed would behave.

I have Bullmastiffs,

I believe my dogs would bark but they are not approach type of dogs. They would bark, keeping their distance but circling, basically trying to keep the person back, but without forcing the issue. I believe they would all be the same if alone except for maybe my old girl, she mightnt be so forceful.

My dogs do the same thing if I am home unless Im there with them (as in greet the person coming in) and then they relax a little but are still a bit wary except for Chase, who thinks since im there they must be ok, so he'll volunteer himself for pats. If it was night time or something or the person appeared dodgy then they wouldnt be ok with it, they'd be going off.

If someone got physically confrontational I think my dogs would be more forceful with their behavior and possibly "rush" the person, growling and snarling, trying to force them away. I dont think they would bite but you never know, they are not the sort of breed to bite now ask questions later, I think it would take a lot for a Bullmastiff to bite, they would rather use otherways to defend first before resorting to biting.