Sign in to follow this  
Snook

Purchased Lightroom Presets Free To Good Home

17 posts in this topic

Snook   

I purchased this set of Lightroom presets from Totally RAD! ages ago but now that I do almost all of my editing in PS I haven't touched them for months. It's a huge collection and cost $89 so it just seems such a shame for it to go to waste so I thought I'd give them away to someone who will appreciate them more than I do. I'll be deleting them off of my computer once I've given them away so there is no ethical conflict in terms of sharing around presets to multiple people that have only been paid for once.

My only condition on giving them away is that I would love them to go to someone who is just starting out with Lightroom and doesn't already have a lot of presets as chances are, a lot of them will be similar to presets developed by other people and I'd rather someone had them who won't be duplicating what they already own. The set also includes a few adjustment brushes and comes in two zip files - one for LR3 and one for LR4. Please also have a look at the link I posted and make sure you want this particular set instead of just putting your hand up for them because they're free.

If you think they'd be perfect for you then post in this thread and let me know. :)

tlc   

Hope they go to a good home Snook great idea.

Just curious you don't use LR any more? Do you find PS better?

Snook   

I've still got all of my Pretty Presets LR sets but I rarely ever use them. Since I started learning how to do clean edits in PS last year I much prefer editing that way and I'm happier with the results. I'm sure I'll still go back to LR now and then when I want a different look but even if I did return to using LR more heavily, I wouldn't use it for any of the stuff I used the Totally RAD! presets for.

Cougar   

Me, me, me!! Please :) I haven't used presets at all, I just use LR and do it all myself. I now haven't even scratched the surface as far as capability goes. So i'd be super keen.

I find the whole preset thing fascinating - some of the warmer looks I'm really keen to use but haven't figured out how to do that yet, without buying stuff. So some of the ones in the link look great for that :D

Edited by Cougar

tlc   

Gotcha, I'm a bit the same with presets now, ok if I'm after a certain look but will do clean edits 95% of the time. I find LR so much easier than PS. Probly because I never took the time to learn how to use it.

Snook   

Me, me, me!! Please :) I haven't used presets at all, I just use LR and do it all myself. I now haven't even scratched the surface as far as capability goes. So i'd be super keen.

I find the whole preset thing fascinating - some of the warmer looks I'm really keen to use but haven't figured out how to do that yet, without buying stuff. So some of the ones in the link look great for that :D

Then consider them yours!! PM me your email addy and I'll send them through to you. :)

Gotcha, I'm a bit the same with presets now, ok if I'm after a certain look but will do clean edits 95% of the time. I find LR so much easier than PS. Probly because I never took the time to learn how to use it.

I found LR much easier to learn without any training and just fumbling around and figuring it out than with PS. I was lost with PS to start with but now that I've done a couple of classes (by the same person) and am part of the facebook groups for those classes, where you get constant free help for 12 months, I feel much more confident with PS and also know exactly what steps I need to take from start to finish when I edit a photo. When I was mostly just using LR I just kind of played around until I got something I was reasonably happy with but had no real plan or structure to my editing.

Cougar   

Hooray! Thank you very much :)

I found LR much easier to learn without any training and just fumbling around and figuring it out than with PS. I was lost with PS to start with but now that I've done a couple of classes (by the same person) and am part of the facebook groups for those classes, where you get constant free help for 12 months, I feel much more confident with PS and also know exactly what steps I need to take from start to finish when I edit a photo. When I was mostly just using LR I just kind of played around until I got something I was reasonably happy with but had no real plan or structure to my editing.

What? You mean there's another way :laugh: That's pretty much what I do! So much to learn....

I think PS and some classes are in my future, once the time and dollars allow. Also read one article about the clean edit which interested me, so must read more on that too.

kja   

Great idea :)

Just to be clear for those who maybe don't know:

1 - there's more than one way to skin a cat so if you have the time/inclination exploring the various editing options is an excellent thing to do in your spare time

2 - you can certainly do "clean" edits in Lightroom, you don't have to use Photoshop for that style

Glad you've found an editing routine that works for you, Snook! It does take some time to get a rythm going :)

Snook   

Great idea :)

Just to be clear for those who maybe don't know:

1 - there's more than one way to skin a cat so if you have the time/inclination exploring the various editing options is an excellent thing to do in your spare time

2 - you can certainly do "clean" edits in Lightroom, you don't have to use Photoshop for that style

Glad you've found an editing routine that works for you, Snook! It does take some time to get a rythm going :)

Excellent points. You can definitely do a clean edit in LR. I just personally prefer doing it the PS way now that I've been shown how. :)

what's a clean edit?

There are a lot of different interpretations for what a clean edit is and how far you can take them with colour saturation etc.. but it's basically enhancing the natural tones in an image rather than doing a creative edit, which is what a lot of presets do (retro, matte, soft & dreamy tones etc..) although you can certainly do creative editing without presets/actions.

kja   

Pretty much a clean edit is no funky stuff - au natural with some tweaks :D

I'd say at least 80% of what I do is clean edit, I don't use washes or textures or alternative white balances or really low contrasts etc terribly often. The vast majority of the Lightroom presets I use are tailored for more natural/clean editing.

Edited by kja

huga   

I can't live without LR or PS! What a hussy :laugh:

I don't really edit very cleanly though.

Presets are super helpful for teaching you how much can actually be done in LR. They are quite fun and easy to adjust. Good for finding your editing groove. And of course PS opens up a whole new world. I mostly use LR for colour, tone, straightening (because I seriously cannot shoot straight) and PS for finer tweaks - cloning and sharpening mostly, skin and eyes if required. Maybe a curves adjustment or colour correction.

Cougar   

Nice comparison kja. Lovely photos too :)

I tend to a more natural style edit normally, but am looking forward to playing with the preset thing as experimentation, just to see what can be done. Hooray for new things :thumbsup:

Snook   

I can't live without LR or PS! What a hussy :laugh:

I don't really edit very cleanly though.

Presets are super helpful for teaching you how much can actually be done in LR. They are quite fun and easy to adjust. Good for finding your editing groove. And of course PS opens up a whole new world. I mostly use LR for colour, tone, straightening (because I seriously cannot shoot straight) and PS for finer tweaks - cloning and sharpening mostly, skin and eyes if required. Maybe a curves adjustment or colour correction.

I still definitely need a lot of practise and have heaps to learn but I love feeling more sure about what I'm doing and having a better understanding of how to do things, rather than just guessing. The biggest thing for me with using PS though is that I'm saving my images as psd files with all the layers still visible so if there's something I notice afterwards that needs to be adjusted slightly I can just go back and fix it. Because I didn't like the LR catalog and didn't use it, as soon as I exported my images from LR and then removed the RAW file, I had no way of going back and adjusting something I'd done without starting all over again.

Nice comparison kja. Lovely photos too :)

I tend to a more natural style edit normally, but am looking forward to playing with the preset thing as experimentation, just to see what can be done. Hooray for new things :thumbsup:

Yes, great examples kja. Love the first one though!

I sent the presets to you yesterday Cougar so let me know if you didn't get them for any reason. I haven't deleted them off of my computer yet as I wanted to make sure you had them first. :)

Cougar   

Yes, they arrived thanks Snook. Though i might have to get the other half to unzip them! Very excited :D

Snook   

Yay! You'll have to post some photos once you start playing with them. :D