Airline Approved Crates For Staffordshire Bull Terriers

Hi,

ive been looking into possibly purchasing airline approved crates to save me hiring them in the future if i were to travel interstate for shows.

i know from flying dogs recently that staffords after 14 weeks old MUST fly in a wire crate - because apparently they are able to chew through the plastic ones. (even though i sent my 16 week old puppy in a plastic crate only a few weeks ago and i also sent an adult a month earlier in a plastic crate too??????????)

I was wondering if anyone knows where i could buy airline approved wire crates or what alterations need to be done to a foldable wire crate (i know they have to be welded) but how and where and can it easily be converted back to a fold down again ?

Thanks in Advance

Thanks for that i have spoken to him a little.

I was told by virgins freight that staffords over 14 weeks old MUST flight in a wire crate but like i said when my 2 year old flew to nsw about 2 months ago she flew with the same company in a plastic cage.

i have spoken to someone else now about how to weld my calapsable ones but will need to speak to the airlines before i ruin my crates and weld them if they wont accept them on the plane.

I dont see how a dog could chew through those pretty sturdy pp crates in the short australian wide flights !!??

I know my friend flies her stafford in those fold down wire crates, but they have been welded so they are permanently up and secure. Hope that helps Carmen ;)

Thanks Amy, im going to get my other half to weld my fold down crates if i need to fly with them. But will take them to the airport and get written approval from them to be able to use it prior to ever having to use it :)

Stafford (adult) arrived from NZ last July in a plastic crate, on Qantas. This was about 8 weeks after Qantas refused to allow a 6 month old Stafford to fly Brisbane-Sydney in a plastic crate.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me!

Wayrod told me just the other day that Brisbane are the strictest when it comes to enforcing crate rules. The other airlines tend to vary according to who is on the desk at the time apparently.

Wayrod told me just the other day that Brisbane are the strictest when it comes to enforcing crate rules. The other airlines tend to vary according to who is on the desk at the time apparently.

Queensland has certainly always been the strictest .

Even when it comes to flying show Greyhounds & wanting to charge racing Grey prices even though you have the proof required back then to show it was a show greyhound

Like my origional post says i sent a 4 month old puppy to syd and back only 3 weeks ago in a plastic crate on the same company that told me they must be in a wire after 3 months old. the same people also sentd a 2 year old bitch from me to syd in a plastic crate ... go figure !?

Id rather have the right crate (wire) then turn up at the airport with MY crate only to be told i cant use it cos its plastic and have to come up with $110 for crate hire. (return)

i was only speaking to a guy yesterday about his welded foldable wire crate to get info on how to weld them with him saying he flew from darwin to sydney with a stop over in bris nd he was allowed to fly darwin to bris but at bris they wouldnt allow him to use the same crate the dog had just flown in on .......they need to make a rule and EVERYONE STICK wtih it !!