Hipdisplasia In Lab

Sam321

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So did they actually say it had HD or did they simply comment on the waddle ?? Tad confused.

If the dog is a tad tight it may have its back out & needs to see a chiro or bowen person .

Some puppies can pace /waddle & this can do with the handling (not getting into a good gait or being sore) it doesn't mean HD .

You need to talk to your breeder & give them the chance to give advice & suggest optins or see the dog themselves .

Someone making a comment doesn't equate to wanting there comp out of the ring at all,you ask for an opinion & one was given but it depends on what exactly they said .

They may have said pup is very lose at present & waddles,could be an age thing but in all seriousness you need to address these issues with the breeder who hasn't had the chance to say anything except at this stage have it mentioned on a forum a pup they breed may have HD when infact it may not be

Sounds like you are over reacting.

Why are you even bothering taking 'some other breeders' advice on your puppy. All puppies can have slightly wonky kind of movement, which may well firm up in time.

Your pup is obviously on full registration to consider showing therefore chances are your puppies parents may have been hip scored so this would start to give you a picture of what is going on.

Talk to your breeder first, don't listen to some 'unknown expert' who might just be trying to show off their knowledge and frighten you. There is so much bullshit out there even in the dog fraternity..... or perhaps we should say especially in the dog fraternity.

4 months of age is very young to see signs of hip displaysia and definately too young to consider doing any hip xray.... wait till dog is over 12 months and then get it done properly and assessed thru the xray scheme

In the meantime enjoy your pup.

So did they actually say it had HD or did they simply comment on the waddle ?? Tad confused.

If the dog is a tad tight it may have its back out & needs to see a chiro or bowen person .

Some puppies can pace /waddle & this can do with the handling (not getting into a good gait or being sore) it doesn't mean HD .

You need to talk to your breeder & give them the chance to give advice & suggest optins or see the dog themselves .

Someone making a comment doesn't equate to wanting there comp out of the ring at all,you ask for an opinion & one was given but it depends on what exactly they said .

They may have said pup is very lose at present & waddles,could be an age thing but in all seriousness you need to address these issues with the breeder who hasn't had the chance to say anything except at this stage have it mentioned on a forum a pup they breed may have HD when infact it may not be

I haven't said who the breeder is or myself for that matter nor have I said who gave what advice all people seem nice,I'm just really worried my son has grown attached to his pet and helps him talk I'm scared of what will happen and how he will react if the worse happens silly I know

I don't mean to hurt any reputations or feelings and I doubt they would be awake and reading this anyway.even if they were they wouldn't know and I hope aren't affended as they r all probably right in some way please except my apologies I'm just more interested in my pup and family than them this dog has some very important things to learn showing was just going to be an outlet for me

Thanks for your reply food for thought

I wouldn't GA and Xray at this age.

How much running is she doing at the beach?

Talk to her breeder.

Most young Labs I have seen waddle to some degree, how bad her waddle is??? Who knows. Unless she appears in pain, has an obvious gait issue, or her breeder thinks it necessary, leave her until 12 months and xray her then.

I haven't said who the breeder is or myself for that matter nor have I said who gave what advice all people seem nice,I'm just really worried my son has grown attached to his pet and helps him talk I'm scared of what will happen and how he will react if the worse happens silly I know

I don't mean to hurt any reputations or feelings and I doubt they would be awake and reading this anyway.even if they were they wouldn't know and I hope aren't affended as they r all probably right in some way please except my apologies I'm just more interested in my pup and family than them this dog has some very important things to learn showing was just going to be an outlet for me

They don't need to be awake and reading, this will all still be here tomorrow. And I have no doubt that both the breeder and those who commented on the pup could recognise who you are from your description of your situation.

Take a deep breath, calm down and phone the breeder tomorrow.

If you do decide to go to a vet with your concerns, get a recommendation for a good one first, before going down the x ray route.

They don't need to be awake and reading, this will all still be here tomorrow. And I have no doubt that both the breeder and those who commented on the pup could recognise who you are from your description of your situation.

Take a deep breath, calm down and phone the breeder tomorrow.

If you do decide to go to a vet with your concerns, get a recommendation for a good one first, before going down the x ray route.

Thanks will do

The pup is 4 months old. Unless it's lame or having mobility problems why are you panicking? Labradors are wobbly and stay wobbly for a while, it's how a lot of large breeds are which is why it is recommended not to over exercise. Stop panicking and don't go running to a PennHip vet for no good reason at all - I know one that recommends surgery no matter the score because it's 'better to be safe then sorry' in a lot of pups.

Keep the pup lean, follow the breeders advice and if at 18 months you're having problems then get the breeder to pay for it. Don't go putting your pup under anaesthetic for no good reason but some uneducated persons opinion. Sorry but a breeder is just that - a person who breeds dogs. There is nothing in it to say they are ethical or actually know what they're talking about.

I second the recommendation for a chiro. The whelping process itself can throw a pup out of whack, not to mention all the rough and tumble they do in a litter. Our litters have their first chiro at 4 weeks and are usually trashed :laugh: Then they get another one at 8 weeks before they go to new homes. After that it is dependant on how much they are doing but usually every 6-8 weeks to make sure everything is lining up right as they grow. Issues can develop if hips aren't lining up properly as the puppy grows, and muscles etc can develop unevenly. That could be why your puppy is waddling.

I had someone suggest to me that my first dog Cody had HD when he was about 9 months old. I did actually take him to the vet but we never progressed to x-rays as she informed me that it was normal for cattle dogs to waddle. I didn't know any better so just left it. Knowing what I know now, I would bet anything he was in desperate need of a chiro and it probably would have sorted everything out.

A good chiro will also be able to feel if the joints are particularly loose or if they don't seem to be fitting right. I don't know whereabouts you are in QLD, but someone might be able to help you out with recommendations. There are some mentioned in this thread: Chiros in Brisbane

Is there a reason you havn't just contacted the breeder for a chat?

Seems the most sensible thing to do, they surely know you are new to this , you said you bought her to breed from, are you intending to breed with her or are you sending her back to the breeder?

Seems the most sensible thing to do, they surely know you are new to this , you said you bought her to breed from, are you intending to breed with her or are you sending her back to the breeder?

She is just adorable we love her to bits

Probably desex and ask to keep her a less price and get another for breeding I'm not sure

I have contacted the person I bought her from says to X-ray then talk

Ok, going to be straight with you here, if your breeder is telling you to get an xray this early, and has sold her to you to let you breed when you clearly know nothing is ringing alarm bells to me.

I would tell people here where you are and get a good vet recommendation first and go and see what they say.

Breeding is not easy, and shouldn't be done just because your dog is cute. :(

She is just adorable we love her to bits

Probably desex and ask to keep her a less price and get another for breeding I'm not sure

I have contacted the person I bought her from says to X-ray then talk

Are they a registered breeder? And are you a registered breeder?

You are grossly overreacting, no one can tell if a dog has hip dysplasia just by looking at it, the only way to diagnose dysplasia is by x-ray. The 'waddle' you speak of is pacing, not uncommon at this age or indeed at any age if the dog is moving slowly, dogs with perfect hips will pace occasionally. If your dog isn't showing any signs of discomfort or lameness I don't think you have anything to worry about AT THIS STAGE, wait until she is 12 months old and then have her x-rayed under the AVA scheme. However be aware that good hips and elbows are not the only criteria for breeding, conformation and temperament are also important considerations and above all your dog must have good type and be a good example of its breed.

I also agree with juice, IMO no reputable breeder would sell a puppy to a complete novice just for breeding. For a start breeders aren't clairvoyant and no breeder on this earth can say with complete certainty that an 8 week old puppy will be suitable for breeding as an adult. Secondly there is a LOT involved, it's not just a case of putting a female to a male of the same breed and getting lots of cute puppies that you can sell.

Let the puppy mature, keep her lean, don't over exercise and try to learn as much as you can about labs before you even think about mating her, believe me breeding isn't easy.

Edited by Miranda

Well been to vet to check her out cancelled X-ray as pin hip is what one would use at this age

Head vet checked her over

Has said in perfect health,extraordinarily clever as she sat and stood stayed walked and even took my treat bag from the side of room and gave to her so as to get treat when everything was finished

Says that obviously excellent pedigree lines

Wonderful dog should go really well and have I thought about tracking as is clever

As to hips a titbits is keeping a dog lean greatly improves hip scores etc

Says to ignore other rival showers and have fun his obviously feeling like I'm competition

Again thank you all who commented and correct cant be really 100./. Before 12 months and growth spurts are weird things

On a personal note if the person that made such a loud big judgment against us (hips) reads this which I doubt watch out for us in ring may the best dogs win