Rspca

Jed

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm... the AWL have the same policing powers as the RSPCA, yes? Wouldn't it be interesting if they did a spot check on some RSPCA shelters? I wonder if anyone has reported an RSPCA shelter to AWL?

I have been exposed for more years than I care to recall to the way organisations work ..... I imagine they have a policy of "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours."

They certainly used to - I reported the AWL shelter I worked at for cruelty to the RSPCA and was told to get lost - I was shocked as I had witnessed everything personally and couldn't believe they wouldn't investigate.

RL was quoting rossetta, who assumed that the info was true.

Just because someone doesn't believe everything posted on FB, or believes that some people in the RSPCA do good work doesn't make them apologists for the whole organization.

Exactly who I was quoting.

"rossetta" was quick to jump in with the bloody disgusting RSPCA comment without any evidence or proof that this dog was PTS or even exists.

I know someone involved in a legal capacity at the Ipswich RSPCA and you couldn't find a more dedicated to animal causes person anywhere..so I guess as an organisation it has its detractors, but at grass roots there are some people with hearts definitely in the right place.

That's my problem. Too many people on this forum jump onto the RSPCA hate wagon and blanket the whole Org.

Edited by RL1

Ummm... the AWL have the same policing powers as the RSPCA, yes? Wouldn't it be interesting if they did a spot check on some RSPCA shelters? I wonder if anyone has reported an RSPCA shelter to AWL?

I have been exposed for more years than I care to recall to the way organisations work ..... I imagine they have a policy of "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours."

Didn't help AWL in Ipswich, did it.

So you know all that went on in the background, do you. Gosh, I wish I could be so clever and knowledgable :cry:

They certainly used to - I reported the AWL shelter I worked at for cruelty to the RSPCA and was told to get lost - I was shocked as I had witnessed everything personally and couldn't believe they wouldn't investigate.
Disgusting, but hardly surprising. Anyone would have a hard time convincing me that the people at the top of these two organisations weren't well known to each other and helping each other to "hide" the less savoury of their activities. Edited by Danny's Darling

RL was quoting rossetta, who assumed that the info was true.

Just because someone doesn't believe everything posted on FB, or believes that some people in the RSPCA do good work doesn't make them apologists for the whole organization.

Exactly who I was quoting.

"rossetta" was quick to jump in with the bloody disgusting RSPCA comment without any evidence or proof that this dog was PTS or even exists.

I know someone involved in a legal capacity at the Ipswich RSPCA and you couldn't find a more dedicated to animal causes person anywhere..so I guess as an organisation it has its detractors, but at grass roots there are some people with hearts definitely in the right place.

That's my problem. Too many people on this forum jump onto the RSPCA hate wagon and blanket the whole Org.

I will say again - why jump on my comment out of the many? I was expressing my disgust at the idea that a dog could be "failed" for turning aside when someone tried to look into its mouth. I look forward to seeing your responses to all the other posts which are negative towards the RSPCA - I wont hold my breath though.

If the dog does not exist who is the dog in the first post? Are you saying that it is just some random dog someone has made up a story about?

Edited by Rosetta

If the dog does not exist who is the dog in the first post? Are you saying that it is just some random dog someone has made up a story about?

Well, it could be. Nobody has seen this image and blurb outside of Facebook so far. Facebook is full of made-up and misleading stories/images.

Which is probably why Jed was asking in the first place, to find out if there was any truth to the story.

People boycotting the SA million paws walk probably has more to do with the RSPCA raiding Moorook Animal Shelter and seizing some animals, a few of whom were then euthanised. There's been a lot of furor over it by Moorook and supporters, who held a rally demanding accountability by the RSPCA. I think a second rally might be planned for the same day as the million paws walk.

This annoys me! The RSPCA received COMPLAINTS about this shelter. What were they supposed to do? Ignore them and cop the abuse of "doing nothing" or investigate and still cop abuse... Is it really going to help the animals of SA if one of their fundraisers is ambushed.... Is Moorook shelter going to take all of them now??? Wow, nice work SA.???

The blurb said he was the face of the million paws walk, failed the temperament, because he turned his head away when they wanted to look at his teeth - not bit, just turned his head, and then he got the chop.

What a load of crap! I have seen dogs that mouth, have drawn blood and jump and are nervous that are NOT pts, but are put through daily one on one training to enable them to be rehomed! There is NO way that is true! Really does it even sound remotely true??

Have you actually been out and volunteered at a RSPCA shelter to at least see how hard these people work to help and how passionate they are about all animals?? Go out, make your own decisions... Just because it is on facebook or a forum does not make it true! There are so many trolls who love to stir the pot and cause trouble and people fall for it all the time..... people are so quick to think badly of something, especially if it makes them feel morally superior....

The RSPCA is not a perfect organisation. None are. But they certainly do not deserve the blanket condemnation that they receive from a lot of people.

I havent read all of this thread as it will just upset me needlessly!

I do know that the RSPCA was ASKED to temporarily assist with the shelter at Ipswich. It was not a 'hostile takeover' - they were asked.....

Edited for spelling.

Edited by greydobe

[Go out, make your own decisions... Just because it is on facebook or a forum does not make it true!

Greydobe, I tracked the Charlie story to an Animal Liberation Facebook page (said it was 'Global')... where it cited the story to 'one who knows'.

But no mention of who 'one' is, nor how does 'one' know. Incidentally, it located the story in Victoria. So there's a place to directly check.

But I didn't find it on the Animal Liberation Victoria Facebook page.

We support both the RSPCA Qld & AWL Qld (as well as some of the smaller, independent rescues).

So we'll be going on the Brisbane Million Paws Walk.

Edited by mita

People boycotting the SA million paws walk probably has more to do with the RSPCA raiding Moorook Animal Shelter and seizing some animals, a few of whom were then euthanised. There's been a lot of furor over it by Moorook and supporters, who held a rally demanding accountability by the RSPCA. I think a second rally might be planned for the same day as the million paws walk.

This annoys me! The RSPCA received COMPLAINTS about this shelter. What were they supposed to do? Ignore them and cop the abuse of "doing nothing" or investigate and still cop abuse... Is it really going to help the animals of SA if one of their fundraisers is ambushed.... Is Moorook shelter going to take all of them now??? Wow, nice work SA.???

The blurb said he was the face of the million paws walk, failed the temperament, because he turned his head away when they wanted to look at his teeth - not bit, just turned his head, and then he got the chop.

What a load of crap! I have seen dogs that mouth, have drawn blood and jump and are nervous that are NOT pts, but are put through daily one on one training to enable them to be rehomed! There is NO way that is true! Really does it even sound remotely true??

Have you actually been out and volunteered at a RSPCA shelter to at least see how hard these people work to help and how passionate they are about all animals?? Go out, make your own decisions... Just because it is on facebook or a forum does not make it true! There are so many trolls who love to stir the pot and cause trouble and people fall for it all the time..... people are so quick to think badly of something, especially if it makes them feel morally superior....

The RSPCA is not a perfect organisation. None are. But they certainly do not deserve the blanket condemnation that they receive from a lot of people.

I havent read all of this thread as it will just upset me needlessly!

I do know that the RSPCA was ASKED to temporarily assist with the shelter at Ipswich. It was not a 'hostile takeover' - they were asked.....

Edited for spelling.

There is enough factual evidence that the rspca has major issues as an organisation and plenty of people know it. I came to my opinion about the rspca through my own negative experiences and then I found I wasn't alone. It's not ridiculous that they don't pass on minor things, the euth rate for the rspca is very high and I was personally told by shelter staff at Fairfield that they don't ever pass Jack Russells due to temperament. They were also prepared to euth some healthy rats rather than give them to a rodent rescue I worked with that they also had worked with. Rats were due the next day but made rescue pay full price. Then there are all the times I tried to get some action on genuine cruelty cases. Maybe you should take the time to ask some questions before you start calling everyone trolls, you might find there are some very disturbing things going on.

That's all anyone can find, repeated over and over. No actual proof that this dog was the face of anything.

Yep, a share of a share of a share doesn't make it true.

Seems it originated

And whilst they say they have the source, they decline to share it, which is just eye roll worthy.

Edited by minimax

Having seen first hand how animals are judged by branches of this organisation, then yep sounds spot on!! The Temperament testing is only as good as the people conducting it. I have seen some absolute doozies.

Before you start assuming people are acting like sheep..some here have had personal dealings with the organisation on different levels. It wouldn't take much to be morally superior than an organisation that needs a thorough cleansing starting at the very top.

Edited by Crisovar

T.

South Australia are calling for a law to have the RSPCA accountable (as, at the present time, it is accountable to no-one) and that there can be a safe platform for people to come forward with information without fear of backlash from the RSPCA. I wholeheartedly agree with this and if the RSPCA actually does nothing wrong, it should welcome and support the idea, and this should be a nationwide thing, not just to one State.

As to the dog in the picture in the OP ..... I can only tell you what I have read from a few comments in FB and that is that the person holding the dog is not happy and is upset that the photo has become the face of this year's Million Paws Walk, he himself knowing that after the photo, the dog was killed.

As to the "individual" RSPCA orgs .... Does each advertise as a separate entity? Not from what I have seen. If other RSPCA entities are making it hard for the rest because of what it is doing, why aren't they brought to question by the others? And how does "charity status" work? If each is a separate entity, isn't that along the lines of franchise? And is franchise legal for orgs of charity status?

*Note : Not all this directed at you tierikx - just quoted you to get me going :D

Edited by Erny