Rspca

Jed

As to the dog in the picture in the OP ..... I can only tell you what I have read from a few comments in FB and that is that the person holding the dog is not happy and is upset that the photo has become the face of this year's Million Paws Walk, he himself knowing that after the photo, the dog was killed.

This year's? I thought it was claimed he was the face of the 2010 Victorian Million Paws Walk.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doing a historical search there was no advertising I could find using the dog in the picture. RSPCA Vic on FB have no pictures up for the 2010 MPW [yet 2009/2011/2012 are there]. Historical pics from RSPCA Vic show nothing in 2010 in regards to the 2010 MPW.

I don't know what to make of it. I like to research before sharing things, so opted not to share in this instance.

But yes, there is plenty of damning evidence against the RSPCA Australia wide that is researchable...but in this instance I'm not passing judgement, I'm just in two minds in regards to it all.

Things like this pop up on Facebook all the time and more often than not, they are proved to be untrue. I also searched for advertising for MPW from the last few years and didn't see this dog, or any dog even remotely resembling this dog, anywhere.

There are plenty of reasons to dislike the RSPCA, but I will stick with things that I know are true rather than believing some random Facebook post.

I've been through 4000+ MPW photos on Flickr, google image search, and the only photo of that dog is the one framed with the accusation. No photo of a red ACD being the the face of a MPW.

Have you tried googling "Clifford"? There are no references about him, except links to DOL. RSPCA covers their corrupt practices, so there is no history.

Edited by mantis

If the dog does not exist who is the dog in the first post? Are you saying that it is just some random dog someone has made up a story about?

Wouldn't be the first time.

Exactly. A video of Stacey Westfall has been going around FB lately with the blurb stating that she is deaf and mute and had only had the horse a few weeks before the clip, all of which is completely false. Yet people still shared it :banghead:

There's plenty of stuff to criticise about the RSPCA without having to make stories up.

Agree again, the only way to improve things regarding the RSPCA is to lobby for government intervention in animal welfare issues and getting the responsiblity for prosecution and enforcement into public hands not a private charity. Getting het up about unsubstaniated claims does nothing more than make people look irrational and hysterical, neither of which have ever achieved anything worthwhile.

I know someone involved in a legal capacity at the Ipswich RSPCA and you couldn't find a more dedicated to animal causes person anywhere..so I guess as an organisation it has its detractors, but at grass roots there are some people with hearts definitely in the right place.

That is the case with so many organisations, Pollywaffle. Those at the grass roots are working their butts off, scrimping and saving and giving their hearts and minds, while those at the top are living the high life, squandering resources and, it would seem in the case of the RSPCA, spending millions on legal fees, directors' remuneration, high profile and often malicious prosecutions, etc etc.

Very True, DD...I guess that's why it's not right to tarr all with the same brush...

I've been through 4000+ MPW photos on Flickr, google image search, and the only photo of that dog is the one framed with the accusation. No photo of a red ACD being the the face of a MPW.

Have you tried googling "Clifford"? There are no references about him, except links to DOL. RSPCA covers their corrupt practices, so there is no history.

Mantis, what type of dog was Clifford? Was he a red ACD called Charlie?

And please, attempt for once some logic. This dog Charlie is being touted as the face of a MIllion Paws Walk. Whether the RSPCA killed him or not, there should be some evidence of this dog being the face of a MPW somewhere on the Internet before he was supposedly pts. The RSPCA, as powerful as you seem to think, cannot remove all trace of a dog from the Internet if said dog was used as publicity.

Look there is a lot of people who are pro no kill or who are anti RSPCA who are in the mix here but the reality is if the RSPCA did determine a dog - any dog was unsuitable for rehoming the onus is on them to determine this and take action. Surely you cant expect that just because a dog is a poster dog and - there is no evidence that it was anyway - that they should get out of being assessed not suitable as any other dog would.

The same loonies who have been telling lies and falsifying stories about breeders for years are involved and you cant believe anything you hear anyway.

the RSPCA have policies in place that the governments approve of because they know that when they rehome animals they are sure they wont cause more problems for the government . Just because some people decide a dog has been killed which shouldnt have without knowing anything real about the circumstances want to bang a drum it doesnt change the fact that some will see it as a bad thing and others will see it as a good thing. The more the emotional stuff and lies are circulated the better they look to those who dont think everything should be saved and that no kill is a bad thing. Believe it or not that's the majority of the community and government who believe that if the RSPCA decided a dog was not suitable for rehoming it should be bumped off whether it was the face of the MPW or not.

Does Clifford look aggressive in any of the photos even with all his injuries...NO !!! R$PCA policy is they do not re-home pitbulls, this vile organization prayed on the emotions of the general public using this poor dog to get as much money as possible then released a statement saying poor Clifford had suddenly became aggressive and was killed... yeah right...SHAME...SHAME...SHAME R$PCA :mad :mad :mad

ps. not having a go at you Noishe, thanks for the links.

Edited by tarope

The RSPCA has many problems and needs an absolute shake up- there will be no argument from me there. But getting up in arms about something without a factual basis does not help this cause.

I never knew anythinga bout Clifford- never heard of him till i joined DOL. I don't know whether the RSPCA are lying about him or not. But dogs can display sudden aggression- i know a dog that was in foster care pending a court case. He had been in the home for months. One day he bit the carers face very badly- she had to have multiple plastic surgeries. The dog was put down- everyone was devastated. What should have happened in that scenario?

Redangel has posted a facebook link on her thread in "IN the News". Some information on there although I would like to see something more.

https://www.facebook.com/justice4max

There is no doubt that Clifford existed. He was saved by the RSPCA who said he was used as a bait dog - which is likely. I don't think he had temperament problems, he was touted to the presss and the public and frequently handled by strangers. When his wounds had healed, he got the chop. Maybe because he was a pit bull; maybe because he couldn't pass the temperament test. Maybe because it is more cost effective to knock the dogs off. This organisation is big bu$ine$$ and seems to have some right wing animal rights committee members - and they have no regard for dogs. Their only agenda is to stop people having pets, to close zoos and circuses and to ensure everyone is vegetarian.

Plants apparently scream when they are cut or picked (according to scientific data).

WnH

Exactly. A video of Stacey Westfall has been going around FB lately with the blurb stating that she is deaf and mute and had only had the horse a few weeks before the clip, all of which is completely false. Yet people still shared it

Who is Stacey Westfall, and what is her real story please?

Edited by Jed

Re Clifford's Temperament

from the RSPCA link

Clifford shows his joy and appreciation to every caring person he meets. He is very much loved by RSPCA staff and enjoys spending time in the Inspectorate office. He was even ‘blessed’ at this week’s Blessing of the Animals Ceremony at the shelter. We give thanks for the ways that animals like Clifford enrich our lives here at the RSPCA.

They used Clifford as a donation magnet. 28% of their income is actually spent on animals. From their annual report.

Does Clifford look aggressive in any of the photos even with all his injuries...NO !!! R$PCA policy is they do not re-home pitbulls, this vile organization prayed on the emotions of the general public using this poor dog to get as much money as possible then released a statement saying poor Clifford had suddenly became aggressive and was killed... yeah right...SHAME...SHAME...SHAME R$PCA :mad :mad :mad

ps. not having a go at you Noishe, thanks for the links.

What an absolutely ridiculous statement. It is completely impossible to determine whether a dog is aggressive from photos. I'm not saying he was aggressive or that he should have been killed as I don't know the full story but when people make crazy statements like "you can tell from the photo the dog wasn't aggressive" or "you can tell from the photo the dog wasn't sick" (as is happening on Moorook's page), all you do is undermine any credibility the rest of your comments may have.

You think my statement was absolutely ridiculous do you, well what about these R$PCA statements.

"Clifford shows his joy and appreciation to every caring person he meets. He is very much loved by RSPCA staff and enjoys spending time in the Inspectorate office. He was even ‘blessed’ at this week’s Blessing of the Animals Ceremony at the shelter. We give thanks for the ways that animals like Clifford enrich our lives here at the RSPCA".

Then this...

"The RSPCA announced today (31 January 2005) that an expert veterinary and shelter team has had to make the extremely sad and difficult decision to humanely euthanase a severely abused dog, for the safety of animals and people.

RSPCA Chief Executive Officer Bernie Murphy said ‘Clifford’ who was emaciated and covered in ulcers when he thrown from a vehicle onto a roadway at Ramsgate last September, had displayed increasingly aggressive behaviour to staff, despite four and a half months of intensive rehabilitation and training at the RSPCA’s Yagoona shelter".

I wonder if poor Clifford had gone to a rescue group instead of the dog killers, would he have suffered the same fate...I think not even a person with a 6th grade education would smell a Rat here. Poor Clifford was murdered 8 years ago, but his memory lives on...RIP poor Clifford you will never be forgotten. :cry:

Your response doesn't even make sense. My point was that stating a dog is not aggressive on the basis of a few photos is ridiculous.

Well maybe if you had just pointed that out calmly and not so aggressively, Tarope wouldn't have come back so emotionally. :shrug:

I agree that making a decision as to a dog's character, personality, aggression or otherwise from a photograph is making a huge and most likely erroneous assumption, but you don't have to beat the person around the ears.