Not Happy

bel

My young boy recently won his first neuter in group yesterday and I was very disappointed that all we win was a ribbon.

Why is it that we have to pay the same entry fee as entire dogs but dont get the same reward for winning our class in group?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In SA you don't generally get prizes for all classes in show, only the bigger shows fork out for all classes.

Fringies are great, lots of people would be thrilled with one but I agree it would be irritating if every other class had received something along with their ribbon.

If your reason is that you want to redeem some of your financial input, I suggest choosing another hobby, dog showing is never going to be finance neutral. My hubby refers to it as The Black Hole Of Cash :laugh:

In SA you don't generally get prizes for all classes in show, only the bigger shows fork out for all classes.

Fringies are great, lots of people would be thrilled with one but I agree it would be irritating if every other class had received something along with their ribbon.

If your reason is that you want to redeem some of your financial input, I suggest choosing another hobby, dog showing is never going to be finance neutral. My hubby refers to it as The Black Hole Of Cash :laugh:

Horses, blue water sailing and flying lessons make dog showing look like a Grade A investment. :)

I suggest choosing another hobby, dog showing is never going to be finance neutral. My hubby refers to it as The Black Hole Of Cash :laugh:

Horses, blue water sailing and flying lessons make dog showing look like a Grade A investment. :)

He does get a 'Be thankful horses aren't my thing' every now & then :laugh:

The numbers involved in horses make me shudder, I would imagine the other two you've mentioned are even worse

I suggest choosing another hobby, dog showing is never going to be finance neutral. My hubby refers to it as The Black Hole Of Cash :laugh:

He does get a 'Be thankful horses aren't my thing' every now & then :laugh:

The numbers involved in horses make me shudder, I would imagine the other two you've mentioned are even worse

Im not sure flying East this year i will spend (cough cough ) over $3000 to get the kids to shows & that doesn't include all the other stuff :eek: ]

My young boy recently won his first neuter in group yesterday and I was very disappointed that all we win was a ribbon.

Why is it that we have to pay the same entry fee as entire dogs but dont get the same reward for winning our class in group?

I completely understand how you feel. At a show last year, I won neuter in show with my girl, and the prize we received was less than what all the other class in show winners had received. While I was obviously still thrilled to win, it did make me feel a bit like a poor cousin to the other class in show winners.

I do think it is a rare occurrence though, other times when we have won either NIS or NIG, we have received the same as the other class winners.

Hopefully they will realise that any in group, any in show that is offered.... is exactly that....

You offer the classes, you must reward the dogs accordingly. No difference between BIG BIS and Neuter BIS.. you offer them, they are entitled to the same prizes. Most are past wonderful winners anyway, so please just acknowledge them. Cant understand if they offer the classes, why they cant deliver. !!

:)

Hopefully they will realise that any in group, any in show that is offered.... is exactly that....

You offer the classes, you must reward the dogs accordingly. No difference between BIG BIS and Neuter BIS.. you offer them, they are entitled to the same prizes. Most are past wonderful winners anyway, so please just acknowledge them. Cant understand if they offer the classes, why they cant deliver. !!

:)

One pretty obvious difference is the number of dogs competing for those prizes. A dog that beats hundreds of dogs for BIS is IMO entitled to a larger prize than a dog that beats perhaps 20?

Neuter in Show shouldn't be a shabby prize but it's not equivalent to BIS from where I sit. It's a class in show win.

If all the Neuter competitors are past entire Champions, I have to question why people are getting upset about it. Hardly a level playing field for someone cutting their teeth on the first dog they've ever exhibited in the neuter ring. Personally I'd like to see past entire Champions prohibited from entering neuter classes. Let it be a class where people can learn the ropes before entering the entire classes.

Mind you, I'd like to see the most junior of Junior Handlers limited to exhibiting neuters... that might improve the number and quality of neuter entries rather smartly.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I don't really understand that point of view Haredown Whippets. No one would suggest that once a dog has won a certain number of BIG or BIS it should no longer be allowed to compete. So why would people consider putting restrictions on which dogs can compete in the neuter classes?

Also, I don't believe there is any issue with the quality of dogs entered in the neuter classes, not that I have seen anyway.

One pretty obvious difference is the number of dogs competing for those prizes. A dog that beats hundreds of dogs for BIS is IMO entitled to a larger prize than a dog that beats perhaps 20?

Neuter in Show shouldn't be a shabby prize but it's not equivalent to BIS from where I sit. It's a class in show win.

If all the Neuter competitors are past entire Champions, I have to question why people are getting upset about it. Hardly a level playing field for someone cutting their teeth on the first dog they've ever exhibited in the neuter ring. Personally I'd like to see past entire Champions prohibited from entering neuter classes. Let it be a class where people can learn the ropes before entering the entire classes.

Mind you, I'd like to see the most junior of Junior Handlers limited to exhibiting neuters... that might improve the number and quality of neuter entries rather smartly.

I agree with you that the BIS prize should be better than Neuter in Show BUT truly don't agree on the other points.

Am I biased in my views - definitely - but the dogs I cheer on at most shows in the Neuter Class ARE past champions - why aren't they entitled to multi titles? If a dog is desexed because it has made its contribution to the breed in the eyes of its owner, yet still loves to show, why should it be excluded???

As for the most of junior of Junior Handlers being limited to exhibiting neuters you would be leaving my daughter unable to show unless or until I neuter a dog already in my home. How the hell is that fair or encouraging to the most junior of Junior Handlers? I think it is important to remember that the bulk of junior junior handlers are the children of exhibitors so they may well not have a neutered dog in their home :confused:

Hardly a level playing field for someone cutting their teeth on the first dog they've ever exhibited in the neuter ring. Personally I'd like to see past entire Champions prohibited from entering neuter classes. Let it be a class where people can learn the ropes before entering the entire classes.

My neuter, who is not easy to show, has taught my adult daughter a lot. My neuter is the first dog they have ever exhibited.

my first show dog is a neuter, it was a great way to learn the ropes without too much pressure. I do notice he is up against past entire Champions, but at the end of the day you aren't playing for sheep stations its just for the thrill of winning occasionaly against the big names in my experience.

Am I biased in my views - definitely - but the dogs I cheer on at most shows in the Neuter Class ARE past champions - why aren't they entitled to multi titles? If a dog is desexed because it has made its contribution to the breed in the eyes of its owner, yet still loves to show, why should it be excluded???

Plenty of titles to work towards on the other end of their names. :shrug: Or change the rules and allow juniors to show any dog entered OR a neutered CH.

But a junior handler (ie any child over the age of 7) can show any dog - my daughter shows her own pup in the breed exhibition? What have I missed that you're saying?

ETA Or do you mean tiny-tots (children under 7)? If so they are only allowed to show with an adult at the end of the lead and only at shows that have tiny-tots junior handling, which, IME, has never been a sanctioned junior handler's event. OR (another or) are you saying that in Junior Handler competitions the handlers should be able to show either an entire dog or a neuter dog?

Edited by Trisven13