Not Happy

bel

We can debate the wisdom of 7-10 year old children in the breed ring another time.

BUT you raised it here and now. And have consistently failed to answer my questions.

Start a topic on it Trish and I'll be happy to discuss my views. They are safety based. I'm talking in an all breeds context by the way. We have no restrictions on what breed t a child handler can take into the breed ring and I'm no fan of relying on common sense to sort the issue out.

How many junior handler classes have you judged??

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many junior handler classes have you judged??

None. Junior Handlers have won classes using my dogs though. :)

How many young children have I watched drag exhausted or unhappy dogs and pups around at shows?. Several. How many times have I felt obliged to intervene for the safety of the dog? One, so far.

How many large dogs under the 'control' of a child have attacked mine? One so far. How many incidents involving unsupervised children with dogs creating aggression issues have I witnessed? Several more.

I don't expect my views on children being responsible for dogs to be popular or influential but I do have concerns. I support junior handler classes but I want them to be conducted with safety of children, dogs and bystanders paramount.,

One thing that it might pay to bear in mind is that a child handling a dog in an "adult" pursuit (think breed ring) can be held to to an adult standard of care for their actions. I don't find the idea of a 7 year old being legally liable for a dog bite on a member of the public all that ideal really. :shrug:

No doubt nothing's going to change...... but I still have an opinion. That opinion is that very young children should not be expected to control dogs or demonstrate an adult's foresight when handling dogs unsupervised amongst the public.

FYI the youngest a child can handle a dog in ANKC Agility is 11. Are there children younger than that capable of doing it? Absolutely.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Can we please get back on topic!!!!!

What did the schedule say in regards to this show?

I know that the Schipp club of Vic have 18 & 18A and in show for our Open & Champ show and they will receive

the same amount of money spent on it as all other classes.

Same as the Non Sporting Dog club of Vic have 18 & 18A and In Show and that winner will have same spent on them. (even though there was only 3 breeds competing last year.)

BB