How Do I Enter A Trial.

I'm a complete and total n00b to this business of getting titles on dogs.

Can someone explain, in veery simple terms how I would go about entering a trial.

I want to enter my girl in a Victorian ET.

I am in SA and not a member of anything at the moment, how do I go about entering.

Can someone walk me through the process from the start :o

I know nothing about entering ET, but I would assume to enter any dog trial you would have to first join Dogs Victoria.

Sorry just nioticed you are in SA,o it would be Dogs SA

Edited by sheena

No once you join one of the ANKC state affiliates - you can enter in any state affiliate.

So Victorian people entered the recent Mount Gambier dog competitions, and Adelaide people sometimes enter the Broken Hill competitions.

The next trick is to figure out how to fill in the form correctly, and then how to pay for it (do you send a cheque or something else).

Paperwork can take a while to process - I'd be getting on to it ASAP. As mentioned member of Dogs SA is your first step. Transfer of the dog might take a while (luck of the draw sometimes!) so you might consider entering the dog under the registered owner's name if they are happy with that. You can be listed as handler on the entry form.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

The dog has to be entered by the registered owner. So she can either be entered by her breeds and you join DogsSA so that you are able to handler her or (and this is the most likely option) you get her transferred to your name when you join so her papers are in your name and you can enter her in whatever you want whenever you want.

To get her transferred the breeders would need to sign the back of her pedigree papers. You may find these are already signed and you just need to submit them to do the transfer.

Esky why not just ring her breeders and say I'd like to do an ET with her but the back of her papers aren't signed what do I do. They may just send you down a signed entry form. It doesn't matter who pays the entry fees just that the owner signs the form.

Ok I'm willing to guess the entry forms are pretty similar across states and sports/shows.

The agility comp entry form for SACA has a place for

Name of owner/lessee

I'm guessing you're the lessee?

a spot for the "usual signature" of this person and their SACA membership number.

And another place on the form for

Name of Hander if different from the owner (/lessee)

If you have a lease agreement then I don't think you'd need another signature.

If you decide you're the handler not the owner/lessee then you would need the owner/lessee to sign the forms for you and give you their membership number - they'd need to join but you as handler might not (not sure about this).

In agility - I've seen some owners and handlers swap around when the owner got injured and couldn't handle. I don't know what happens as far as rules and trophies go for this, but I guess the title points still go towards the dog - no matter who handles.

Find the entry form on the DogsVic page and see what it needs on it.

Good luck, I remember how mind boggling the whole process was and I did it twice in 18 months.

Can't you just register your dog as an associate without the pedigree- I'm assuming you aren't interested in confirmation which is all you need the pedigree for.

You definitely need to be a Dogs SA member - so that is your very first step.

And I would be contacting the breeder asap (phone or email) to see if you can get Esky's papers transferred into your name .. otherwise, as has been said, you could ask the breeder to sign the entry form as owner, with yourself (complete with Dogs SA membership no) as handler - and you would send the breeder a cheque for the entry money - or pay the breeder somehow.

ETfix typos

Edited by Tassie

desert dobes

The dog gets a life time registration - if it's not pedigree then yes it gets registered as an associate and proof of desex usually has to be produced. ANKC rule.

If it is pedigree - it is supposed to be registered as a puppy and would not need registering again. Though not sure if the person who registered the puppy then rehomes it if the new owner has to pay a fee to get the dog put in their name.

You put both the dog's SACA number and the owner/lessee's SACA number on the SACA entry form. But there is no place on it for the Handler's SACA number.

desert dobes

The dog gets a life time registration - if it's not pedigree then yes it gets registered as an associate and proof of desex usually has to be produced. ANKC rule.

If it is pedigree - it is supposed to be registered as a puppy and would not need registering again. Though not sure if the person who registered the puppy then rehomes it if the new owner has to pay a fee to get the dog put in their name.

You put both the dog's SACA number and the owner/lessee's SACA number on the SACA entry form. But there is no place on it for the Handler's SACA number.

Oh O.K, I thought maybe SACA would accept a stat dec on the ownership of the dog as an alternative? Even though I'm in constant contact with my breeder I sent in a stat dec when I lost some paperwork for my recent puppy as it was quicker than sending paperwork to Vic and waiting for it to come back.

I am in the same stage as you trying to get ready to enter a trial, and am a bit confused at how do you transfer a dog into your name?

I am about to send in my membership application for the ACT, and the pedigree is signed on the back but am unsure if I need to wait in till I am registered and then do something or if I can send the pedigree along with my membership.

I am in the same stage as you trying to get ready to enter a trial, and am a bit confused at how do you transfer a dog into your name?

I am about to send in my membership application for the ACT, and the pedigree is signed on the back but am unsure if I need to wait in till I am registered and then do something or if I can send the pedigree along with my membership.

Well you could ring and ask, but I would probably send both at once. Or if possible drop by the office on a Tuesday or Friday when I think both staff are on and they might be able to do both on the spot.

Canberra is pretty user friendly I have found.