Dogs Who Visit Hospitals And Nursing Homes

I didn't want to hijack another thread so have started this one.

Grumpette posted the most beautiful photograph of one her dogs, Baylee, visiting with an elderly lady in a nursing home. I can imagine the great delight that people get from having these dogs visit them and was hoping to see some more photos and stories.

I think tlc's dogs are hospital visitors; there must be more DOLers who do this.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do it with Lexi, but for health reasons I need to stop for a while

We go to the local nursing home and they love it, even people who aren't verbal just love it when the dog jumps up on their bed and they can pat them and touch their fur, you can see the delight in their faces. It is very rewarding work :)

I occasionally take my kelpie up to visit the old farmers in the nursing home. They love her and always tell me stories about their working dogs and I also gain some knowledge and she loves the pats. I used to take my Maremma up but he loses too much hair despite all my grooming so he wasn't ideal, they did love him though.

14 yr old Charlie the Tibbie has a twist on visiting a nursing home. Her elderly owner some months back had to go into a nursing home. Now, where Charlie is in good hands, she gets taken to visit her, every week in the nursing home. The other residents love her visits, too.

Charlie is happy & not distressed because she's with people she loves very much.... people she'd stayed with on many occasions when her owner was hospitalised. She has the best of both worlds & is very healthy for her age.

post-3304-0-50828000-1367115227_thumb.jpg

That's a lovely story, Mita. I am sure [well, hope] it happens more than we hear about.

I hope so too, DD. Lot depends on the nursing home. This one has opened its heart to a workable arrangement.

And it's helped by fact that all are in the same area.

Out of interest - are most nursing homes agreeable to visiting dogs? Are there any conditions they impose? I think it is wonderful for the residents to have that contact - particularly in a case such as Mita has described. Having to part with a beloved pet would be terribly distressing for old folks.

Out of interest - are most nursing homes agreeable to visiting dogs? Are there any conditions they impose? I think it is wonderful for the residents to have that contact - particularly in a case such as Mita has described. Having to part with a beloved pet would be terribly distressing for old folks.

I volunteer with the Delta Society, so does tlc. some nursing homes are more than happy for people to bring dogs, others say no unless its an accredited organisation because elderly people can skin tear very easily and it is hard to explain that mrs Smith developed an infection on her arm because of a skin tear that was caused from a dog. Organisations such as Delta carry insurance for this reason so I know if my dog causes an injury to somebody then we're protected

Saying that a lot of facilities are relaxing their rules and even have resident pets

Edited by GoldenGirl85

I volunteer with the Delta Society, so does tlc. some nursing homes are more than happy for people to bring dogs, others say no unless its an accredited organisation because elderly people can skin tear very easily and it is hard to explain that mrs Smith developed an infection on her arm because of a skin tear that was caused from a dog. Organisations such as Delta carry insurance for this reason so I know if my dog causes an injury to somebody then we're protected

Saying that a lot of facilities are relaxing their rules and even have resident pets

Retirement villages are even starting to advertise that they are pet friendly.

As to elderly skin: yes I can relate :cry::cry: .

Edited by Danny's Darling

Out of interest - are most nursing homes agreeable to visiting dogs? Are there any conditions they impose? I think it is wonderful for the residents to have that contact - particularly in a case such as Mita has described.

I honestly don't know, Rosetta. I only know a few case- by -case examples. And Charlie's the only one I know who still visits her owner.

But, as DD said, there could be more out there.

I guess health & temperament would need ticking off as fine.

Another Tibbie here in Brisbane is owned by the nursing home's manager & he goes to work with her every day. His name is Aspro! Seems she bought him as a puppy with the expressed purpose that he'd go to work with her, at adult age.

I also know a Maltese owned by a nurse & he goes to work 2 days a week with her, at a nursing home.

In both cases, much loved & appreciated by the residents.

My dads nurseing home had a dog he just used to visit each ward one at a time on his own.

Dad loved him.

They also had a cat that used to sit with patients who were dieing.

I was thinking about you and your mum and dad, gillybob, when I started this thread, wondering whether you had had any experiences of dogs and cats in the nursing homes.

I volunteer for an orgainisation that train dogs as therapy/assistance dogs. Part of my work is to go once per week to an organisation where people with brain injury attend.

It is the most rewarding experience to see the joy on these people when they see me walk in with Jimmy (the Collie Smooth that I handle). Jimmy just loves going to see them and has been taught to gently jump up to people in wheelcharis and place his two front feet on their lap whilst they pet, groom or give him treats. Sometimes their co-ordination isn't the best and their patting may be a little on the rough side but Jimmy does truly enjoy it. He seems to know. On the days we go there he pulls at the lead to get in there and visit his mates.

The first time we went there were a few tears from the carers at the responses and reactions we were getting from clients. It's just wonderful how a dog can make such a huge difference to their lives.

Edited by ~Midniara~

I volunteer through the Lort Smith Hospital. It is the most rewarding thing to do.

I have been visiting particular lady for about 2 years. She never speaks. Very sad. One day I walked in and her vacant eyes lit up and she said "Schnauzer" gave Waldo a pat and she went back to her lost self. Her daughter was visiting her at the same time. We both cried. It makes such a difference.

If anyone would like to volunteer we are at least 25 dogs short to fill the roster for our current hospitals & nursing homes and have about 30 places who would like visitors.

Please PM me for more details or go to the Lort Smith web site.

I have been visiting particular lady for about 2 years. She never speaks. Very sad. One day I walked in and her vacant eyes lit up and she said "Schnauzer" gave Waldo a pat and she went back to her lost self. Her daughter was visiting her at the same time. We both cried. It makes such a difference.

There was a similar example here. I used to take our tibbie girls to visit a woman in a nursing home. She used to work with us.... & got early onset Alzhiemers. I'd go every couple of months. She didn't really talk, had no memory of anything that'd happened & didn't speak more than a phrase or two.

Another work colleague used to take her out for lunch occasionally. One day, they were driving along in silence as usual. When suddenly the lady said, 'I hope Mita brings those two little golden dogs to see me again.'

The driver got such a shock, she nearly drove into a tree.

Then the woman lapsed into her usual state.

We were told that this can happen. Sometimes, something triggers a response that was thought to be gone. Then, in a flash, it's gone again.

Edited by mita

I did it with Milly through Delta for a while. I found it very satisfying (although some of the peoples stories were heartbreaking - particularly the younger ones) but though my lack of time and Milly's health upsets stopped going. I would like to do it with Dyson when he gets a bit calmer.