Dogs Who Visit Hospitals And Nursing Homes

Guest donatella

My Bon would be perfect for something like this, absolutely loves everyone and cute as a button, looks more like a stuffed toy.

I'd probably be too scared someone would break her :eek:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When my Mum was in a hospice in England a lady visited regularly with her two labradors most of the patients staff and visitors loved the visits.My Mum was so happy when they came in . :)

A lady with Multiple Sclerosis was having respite care and only able to move her head and arms but her fingers were locked in a fist position.I watched her patting one of the dogs and her fingers released slightly it was such an amazing thing to witness.She had not been able to use her fingers for such a long time.The lady and I have kept in touch and although sadly the older dog has since died she continues to visit the hospice with the younger lab.I have been to visit her and the dogs since my Mum died and she is such a beautiful person.

When I lived in Adelaide, I filled in all Delta's forms and was to be included in the next testing. They never bothered to contact me but I now assume it was my dog's breed as I have since seen first hand how Delta are unable to handle big dogs like GSD's. At the time, I was already connected to Delta doing Dog Safety Talks in schools.

Now I live in rural SA, I took my dog into the local hospital and nursing home asking if they would be interested in us visiting. Both were but the hospital already had a nurse bringing in her dog. I frequently take my boy into the nursing home and love seeing the resident's faces light up. In fact, they were so impressed with us, I am now a qualified carer and work at the home. Staff are allowed to bring pets in and the home has a bird, turtle, fish and an outside aviary with more birds. I don't take my boy in when I am working so my focus is completely on the residents. It is nice to have the time to sit and talk when I have my dog and really get to know each person individually.

If anyone is thinking about doing it, I would suggest approaching the organisation and find out their approach rather than relying on an organisation that may not service within your local area.

I have heard of Caring Canine Companions in SA and would certainly recommend them. I have/had friends who were visiting through them and they couldn't recommend them highly enough. (Especially when they heard how Delta behaved.)

Thanks for this great thread. I have a 12 month Golden Retriever. She is doing obedience now but is still a bit too "friendly" to visit frail people however II definitely would like to do this with her in the future.

Until this thread I had no idea there were organisations, like Delta, which coordinate this service. I've bookmarked the site, and it is now a goal for our training.

She is such a kind affectionate dog, with the most beautiful eyes. I know she would bring a lot of joy to people whose lives are limited by health and other issues.

Looking forward to giving back

I have two Dogs Victoria certified Pets as Therapy dogs (Standard Poodles).

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/profile.asp?dog=6688

Fabio visits a local Nursing Home once a month, the residents love him. At 9yrs of age, he is still in full show coat, creates a lot of conversation. It is so rewarding to bring a bit of pleasure to their day. My old girl Freya is 12 1/2 yrs and only visits occasionally. They are both visiting this week for Mothers day, Fabio is taking his mother with him.

(posted by Marlene)

My girls have been visiting as Delta therapy dogs for two and a half years now, they both love it as do the patients and the staff. We visit our local hospital, so they have to have pathology testing every 3 months which our vets do pro bono which is fantastic!

We visit with another DOLer (Mawson) it's great visiting in pairs we can go into rooms together or split up if need be. Its amazing as my girls and Mawson are completely different dogs as you will see from photos. A lot of people are attracted to the big dog and amazed to see him in a hospital, then there is the ones who are more attracted to the small fluffies like my girls.

It is amazing what dogs can do as therapy in these facilities, we have seen some pretty amazing things and changes in people that have been unresponsive and it always makes some peoples days to have a visit from the dogs. There is the odd person who doesn't want a visit or doesn't like dogs but they are few and few between.

More recently my boys have been visiting a nursing home as my MIL is in respite, they love it too, my youngest wouldn't make a therapy dog as he is a bit wary of people he doesnt know unill he gets to know them which obviously isn't ideal. But Cooper loves everyone but is a little bit to over zealous and likes to love everyone too much, and explore every inch of every room. :laugh:

I picked some photos but I have so many, its hard to choose. :laugh:

When we first started the girls were on the front page of our local paper.

file_zps788a7bb0.jpg

Lacy and Mawson on Australia Day

file_zpsb9713be3.jpg

Our first official visit and the paper came to take our photos.

file_zps190410c8.jpg

Tully and a happy patient.

file_zpsaae97aef.jpg

Everyone loves the dogs tricks.

file_zpsf3a22f80.jpg

This is probly one of my favourite photos of a visit, Tully with a very happy patient!

file_zps98659fb1.jpg

My girls at a volunteer day with bob the builder. :laugh:

file_zpse6965011.jpg

Lacy loving this patient! :laugh:

file_zps41fa976d.jpg

Migs is great, she comes to our training some Sundays and we have play dates, she gets on great with my 4 which is awesome. I was at Shannon's the other day and she loves to sit on Mawson and when I say sit its exactly that, she just backs up and plonks herself on him. :laugh: it's hilarious to watch! Maws is so patient!

Migs is great, she comes to our training some Sundays and we have play dates, she gets on great with my 4 which is awesome. I was at Shannon's the other day and she loves to sit on Mawson and when I say sit its exactly that, she just backs up and plonks herself on him. :laugh: it's hilarious to watch! Maws is so patient!

OMG :rofl::rofl: I would love to see that. Tell Shannon I was asking after her.

Tic, those photos are wonderful.

When our tibbie, Angel, did pet therapy at a children's hospital, the researcher in charge told us something interesting. When the program was evaluated .... it turned out that the doctors, nurses & hospital staff loved the visits by the dogs, as much as the children!

The hospital maintenance men, who were not noted for being bleeding hearts, went all out to design a little 'rest-room' garden with picket fences & gates for the dogs.... & a couple of small trees specially for the boy dogs.

Edited by mita

How lovely is that Mita :thumbsup: .

Yes, DD, the staff were quite chuffed. The maintenance section was also in charge of space allocation ... & were notorious for being brick walls when anyone needed some extra room space, no matter how small. But when asked to provide a 'home-room' for the therapy dogs, they found one in a flash. It was said 4 paws & a tail brought great influence at that place.

OMG :rofl::rofl: I would love to see that. Tell Shannon I was asking after her.

Will do!

• 7 months later...

Zeph visiting the nursing home just before Christmas dressed as an elf

18122013366_zpsab863c33.jpg

18122013367_zpsee448266.jpg

And when he was presented with his therapy dog vest in November

12112013330_zps4a4efab6.jpg

It is so rewarding when the residents come alive as Zeph walks in their room. Some days they do not remember us or feel like a pat, but their family members get just as much out of the visits even if their loved ones don't want a pat on the day. The staff also love the distraction and antics of the dogs. We are currently working on some dances with dogs moves for the new year, God help us :eek:

Dezzy and I have been Delta Pet Therapy for 4 years now and still look forward to our days we visit....we started in a nursing home and was there for about 2 years but had to leave to allow someone else to go on the days they could visit.....we had a couple of nursing homes we went to but was asked to leave after a couple of visits due not to the residents but the staff who had read in the papers about Dezzys breed and didn't want him there and at first I was a bit down but realised soon that they are the ones who are missing out :thumbsup:

For the last year or so we have been visiting a disability day centre where we have had many many breakthroughs with residents who normally will do nothing will smile, laugh and pat Dezzy as soon as he walks in the door also many residents so happy to see Dezzy, we also visit a dementia nursing home and believe me when Dezzy walks in the door they are all smiles and remember his name but forget mine....I also posted a pic just before xmas with a photo I was giving a resident who has no family in Australia

It is such a rewarding thing to do with a lot of good and bad stories but I feel as long as we can make a difference in somebodys lives with just a visit then it is all worthwhile and such a terrific thing we can do just to make someone happy for a day :)

Dezzy and I have been Delta Pet Therapy for 4 years now and still look forward to our days we visit....we started in a nursing home and was there for about 2 years but had to leave to allow someone else to go on the days they could visit.....we had a couple of nursing homes we went to but was asked to leave after a couple of visits due not to the residents but the staff who had read in the papers about Dezzys breed and didn't want him there and at first I was a bit down but realised soon that they are the ones who are missing out :thumbsup:

For the last year or so we have been visiting a disability day centre where we have had many many breakthroughs with residents who normally will do nothing will smile, laugh and pat Dezzy as soon as he walks in the door also many residents so happy to see Dezzy, we also visit a dementia nursing home and believe me when Dezzy walks in the door they are all smiles and remember his name but forget mine....I also posted a pic just before xmas with a photo I was giving a resident who has no family in Australia

It is such a rewarding thing to do with a lot of good and bad stories but I feel as long as we can make a difference in somebodys lives with just a visit then it is all worthwhile and such a terrific thing we can do just to make someone happy for a day :)

Oh that is so crappy and very short sighted. I am so sorry that you experienced such breed prejudice.

One of the reasons we were accepted was because being a larger breed, the dogs are able to cope with the not so gentle patting from older people with tremors and the unsteady movements of disabled people.

I agree with you it is rewarding and hearbreaking. Three days after our coat presentation visit one of Zeph's favourite residents passed away. However, he made friends with two new residents on the next visit. Some residents or their visiting relatives can be scared, others are delighted. Some like a visit one day but not the next. You never take it personally as this is the nature of old age.

The unconditional love and acceptance from a dog is priceless to residents.