Pet Dogs Stolen Nsw

kiesha09

Article here

This is just the most horrific thing I can think of. A poor pet dog being stolen to bait fighting dogs. I hope the people responsible get their limbs ripped off!

Sorry if this has already been posted, had a quick look and didn't see anything.

Edited by kiesha09

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2ue had a story on it, in Nelson there were 6 dogs stolen in one street , 20 in the area . tageting rural areas as less chance get caught and they type dog they after , kelpie's and prob any dog that fast and will put up a fight to blood their dog with .

a woman called in and said she had two youths try to steal her amstaff pup twice , and that said they had had dogs stolen over fences at dogs parks too

It's disgusting.

There has been reports that this has been happening for quite a while around here in the Riverina. New reports of dogs being stolen from certain suburbs every week.

I can't find it but there was a news report last year of a lady who's husky apparently escaped the people who stole her. Because of her injuries vets said it was most likely being used for fighting and as it was 'useless' put out for bait.

Edited by LisaCC

Sabbath as far as I know they are highly mobile, hard to catch. Back paddocks, empty sheds or abandoned warehouses (could be urban myth but that's what people think they're using in Sydney). They pick up and move. It's too late to pursue them after the dogs are being stolen. :(

This is an assumption, but apart from sourcing dogs and running bets you'd really not have to be a mastermind. Dogs can be hidden in plain sight, easy to move around and in the event you get caught with a perfectly alive unharmed (yet) stolen one it's a slap on the wrist. :shrug:

I'm sorry but where is the evidence that the dogs are being stolen for dogfighting? I'm so sick of these constant articles coming out with absolutely no evidence of such activities occurring.

How else can you explain it? Specific breeds being stolen and in such high numbers is pretty suspicious and would point to dog fighting... if not that than could be by BYB's etc.

How else can you explain it?

With evidence, not unsubstantiated claims that not only give owners misinformation, but also continue to malign certain breeds.

Specific breeds get stolen because they're popular. It's also worth noting that almost every time there are sudden crime waves that are suspected to be dog fighting rings, there are instances of it happening all over the world at the exact same time. Whether it be England, the USA, Canada, etc. The common denominator is always hysterical people and social networks.

It's the whole sticker thing all over again (or, should I say, continued?). There's no doubt in my mind dogs get stolen for dog fighting - it's a very real thing - but it's not around every corner, in every suburb, of every city, of every state. It's not as common as people like to make out. And I'd put money on the fact that so many dogs who are reported as stolen, have actually just escaped, and the owner isn't clued-in enough to realise how the dog got out.

In one article, Hawkesbury MP Ray Williams was quoted as saying:

"These bastards normally like the more aggressive dogs like staffys or cross breeds but they will still take the little ones as well to bait and blood the more ferocious ones before they get into a ring,"

That's an article that has been shared countless times. An article with ignorant, damaging words that further perpetuate a dangerous stereotype that sees certain breeds killed, based on looks alone. And an article that has absolutely no evidence to back up any of what has been claimed.

Unsubstantiated articles like these are never a good thing.

the body of one small dog was found last week in the Hawkesbury area, after being one of a few dogs stolen from a particular area.

An autopsy is being done by the RSPCA but the dog had been mutilated and also showed signs of being attacked by more than one animal.

Is that Rastice you're referring to Dogmad? :( So so sad to think of what that little dog would of went through. :cry:

This area is not far from me :(

My dogs are always inside if I leave the house, this gives even more reason to be so very careful.

I am so sorry for the owners of the dogs stolen and the poor souls already attacked and killed :(

Makes me sick to my stomach.

How else can you explain it?

With evidence, not unsubstantiated claims that not only give owners misinformation, but also continue to malign certain breeds.

Specific breeds get stolen because they're popular. It's also worth noting that almost every time there are sudden crime waves that are suspected to be dog fighting rings, there are instances of it happening all over the world at the exact same time. Whether it be England, the USA, Canada, etc. The common denominator is always hysterical people and social networks.

It's the whole sticker thing all over again (or, should I say, continued?). There's no doubt in my mind dogs get stolen for dog fighting - it's a very real thing - but it's not around every corner, in every suburb, of every city, of every state. It's not as common as people like to make out. And I'd put money on the fact that so many dogs who are reported as stolen, have actually just escaped, and the owner isn't clued-in enough to realise how the dog got out.

In one article, Hawkesbury MP Ray Williams was quoted as saying:

"These bastards normally like the more aggressive dogs like staffys or cross breeds but they will still take the little ones as well to bait and blood the more ferocious ones before they get into a ring,"

That's an article that has been shared countless times. An article with ignorant, damaging words that further perpetuate a dangerous stereotype that sees certain breeds killed, based on looks alone. And an article that has absolutely no evidence to back up any of what has been claimed.

Unsubstantiated articles like these are never a good thing.

If it helps encourage people to ensure their pets are more securely kept though what's so bad about that? I know there is a dog fighting ring in my area, plenty of bull breeds also seem to disappear as well. Must be a coincidence ;)

'If it helps encourage people to ensure their pets are more securely kept though what's so bad about that? ;)'

I have to agree Jade and live in the area recently targeted.

What do you suggest PB as a dog owner who may be targeted in my own home area, as posted in the OP?

If it helps encourage people to ensure their pets are more securely kept though what's so bad about that?

The fact that it's misinformation that is circulated at the expense of an already maligned breed?

There's a way to educate that doesn't do this and those methods should always be supported above the ones here.

Nic.B, keep your dogs safe.

There, I encouraged you to do so without calling Staffies and crossbreeds vicious or aggressive, or insinuating that all they're good for is dog fighting rings.

If it helps encourage people to ensure their pets are more securely kept though what's so bad about that?

The fact that it's misinformation that is circulated at the expense of an already maligned breed?

There's a way to educate that doesn't do this and those methods should always be supported above the ones here.

Nic.B, keep your dogs safe.

There, I encouraged you to do so without calling Staffies and crossbreeds vicious or aggressive, or insinuating that all they're good for is dog fighting rings.

I don't think Jade or Nic.B did that.