15yr Old Cattle Dog In Hawkesbury

May deserved her chance. An honest, up front assessment at the very least.

IMO there needs to be a register for tosser owners. If the dog is chipped and suffers neglect it should be recorded.

From now on, a dog like that will be 'a May dog' to me.

You're so right that passive neglect is the biggest form of pet cruelty around.

And the owners tend to get off scott free while, if the dog is lucky, some compassionate people pick up the pieces... or, if not, the dog has a truly horrible decline.

I wish there was a campaign to raise community awareness... & standards...about 'May dogs'.

Their fate shouldn't go unnoticed & unrecorded.

I couldn't agree with both of you more. If only the RSPCA could direct more of their energies and funds towards prosecuting and exposing neglect like this.

Nic has probably seen more than most of us because of her involvement with Hawkesbury, but everyone involved in rescue sees it to some degree and it is heart breaking. One of the difficulties is getting general awareness of the problem first and then, secondly, it is not alright to neglect animals.

I remember making a poster and putting it up at work. It was about a tiny little red Pomeranian shockingly neglected whom Cordelia had rescued. She'd been left at the pound, because her owner bought a puppy!!! The dog was in a terribly state but went on to lead a great life.

The point I'm coming to is that one of the men at work stood in front of my poster and said to his colleague, laughing, "Well that's enough to put us off our lunch." My boss came up and told me to take the posted down, saying, "I think you've made your point."

Sadly, I had.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic