15yr Old Cattle Dog In Hawkesbury

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you going to pledge $100 each week? Vet costs for an oldie are not a once off. I took Mini to the vet this week and checked my account. Five months after he died, I have only just paid off Grumpy's vet bill.

It's so hard to know, at that age he could just potter along until the end and quietly go in his sleep or he could need a lot of vet support. I'm quite willing to consider fostering him at the very least and assessing his quality of life in a more homey environment but my ability to deal with vet costs is limited, it would mean hitting up the credit card which I'm not that keen to do... :( That said as my neighbour would say, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Where he is he has no chance unless someone comes for him, at least in a foster home decisions could be made that aren't simply based on whether there is space in the cages that day. :(

Then there is the other challenge of breaking him out and getting him a few hours down south, I'm not currently registered with a rescue despite caring for quite a few rescue critters of various types, quite happy to do it but would need to come under someones umbrella in order to facilitate things I would imagine.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

It's so hard to know, at that age he could just potter along until the end and quietly go in his sleep or he could need a lot of vet support. I'm quite willing to consider fostering him at the very least and assessing his quality of life in a more homey environment but my ability to deal with vet costs is limited, it would mean hitting up the credit card which I'm not that keen to do... :( That said as my neighbour would say, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Where he is he has no chance unless someone comes for him, at least in a foster home decisions could be made that aren't simply based on whether there is space in the cages that day. :(

Then there is the other challenge of breaking him out and getting him a few hours down south, I'm not currently registered with a rescue despite caring for quite a few rescue critters of various types, quite happy to do it but would need to come under someones umbrella in order to facilitate things I would imagine.

KC the first step will be for you to call Hawkesbury and have a chat with the staff. Anne, Theresa or Cathy will be the best people to speak with Friday am. Hawkesbury are great and will give you a good general opinion on this dear old fellow. Often seniors are adopted out at a much reduced cost, the reason he is reclaim or RTRO may be that due to his age they are not comfortable with desexing, it may also mean he has some health issues related to age.

If you decide to go ahead, the first step will be addressing his quality of life/any medical needs/heartworm test with a great vet. My vet is brilliant and is at Box Hill, I am happy to pick him up and take him for a consult if that helps. I may be able to help with transport as well.

I adopted a dear old senior Shepherd "Old Ray" from HP years ago. He was surrendered at the age of 12 years and was the most noble, gentle soul. My vet had a good look at Ray and while he had some arthritis (which he went on med's for) his quality of life was good :) Old Ray was with us for 12 months, was spoilt rotton and was the light of our lives. He and my youngest daughter Hannah were indredibly close.

Oldies often just love a cosy warm bed, really good food and being a special part of a family. It was not expensive to manage Ray and keep him in great condition, though I was fully commited and aware that that may change at any stage.

Ray slept on a fairly high (free) cot matress which made it easier for him to get on and off, I also raised his food and water bowls. In winter he slept by the fire, he also loved his Pj's :)

I do think the support of a fantastic rescue will be of huge benefit, to understand what is involved with an oldie, or even just someone to talk to at times.

He looks to be the dearest soul. It is getting quite cold here at night, hope he finds something soon :(

:hitself: ETA Call this morning, I went to bed at 7.30 last night, got up and thought today was sat. My body must think it's had two nights sleep in one!

Edited by Nic.B

Nic would HP let you take him to a vet to see how he is before anyone commits?

I have had a few oldies and as Nic has said lovely dogs to foster, both mine only lasted just under 12 months, but they were 2 of the best dogs i have ever owned and i miss them dearly.

Both had had hard lives and just needed a warm bed and tlc, they were no trouble.

However, Dogmad takes on alot of little oldies too and her vet bills are huge for them which she pays out of her own pocket. ( however also saying that, the little ones do seem to need ears and teeth done more, so you maybe ok)

I am near HP if i can be of any help to the old chap. :(

I have to take my kids to school and then I am meeting someone at our property and I don't have any phone reception there. Would someone be willing to give them a call for me and ask the important questions? Other than health stuff I'd love to know if they have tested him with kids or cats and also other dogs(all mine are very friendly and the kids are old dog savvy but if just them being in proximity freaks him out it might be difficult).

Nic would HP let you take him to a vet to see how he is before anyone commits?

I have had a few oldies and as Nic has said lovely dogs to foster, both mine only lasted just under 12 months, but they were 2 of the best dogs i have ever owned and i miss them dearly.

Both had had hard lives and just needed a warm bed and tlc, they were no trouble.

However, Dogmad takes on alot of little oldies too and her vet bills are huge for them which she pays out of her own pocket. ( however also saying that, the little ones do seem to need ears and teeth done more, so you maybe ok)

I am near HP if i can be of any help to the old chap. :(

Hey Juice :) Yes, I am sure we can do that. It's a great idea to have him checked out prior.

I will try to drop in at some stage today KC though have a heap of appt's, might not be able to get in until sat...

ETA dear soul is female not male, sorry. 15 years of age and in the pound :(

KC you can call the shelter 45604644 up until 4pm. Ask to speak with Theresa and or Cathy. Cathy will have a good idea of any obvious health issues.

I will drop in tomorrow and meet her (if you like) if I am held up today. let me know if I can help.

Edited by Nic.B

I have to take my kids to school and then I am meeting someone at our property and I don't have any phone reception there. Would someone be willing to give them a call for me and ask the important questions? Other than health stuff I'd love to know if they have tested him with kids or cats and also other dogs(all mine are very friendly and the kids are old dog savvy but if just them being in proximity freaks him out it might be difficult).

How old are your kids KC? How dog savy are they? and how active are they?