15yr Old Cattle Dog In Hawkesbury

I pledge $100 for Kelpiecuddles to take him on. Anyone else :D .

Are you going to pledge $100 each week? Vet costs for an oldie are not a once off. I took Mini to the vet this week and checked my account. Five months after he died, I have only just paid off Grumpy's vet bill.

Bless you Sheridan for your usual constructive, supportive, positive, caring and nourishing posting. You are an example to us all.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wonderful to see everyone trying so hard to help this grand old lady.

Very generous offers from DD and Gillbear :thumbsup: and offers of help from NicB and juice :)

kelpiecuddles a friend of mine found a very old cattle dog lost and confused in the middle of a busy intersection. She stopped and took her to the vet for scanning but there was no chip so the old girl went to the pound and my friend put her name on her even though she had four dogs of her own she knew she didn't have much hope of adoption if unclaimed. She was never claimed and Miss Lizzie (named after the queen mother as all her teeth were worn down and she was pretty dottery) lived for another 3 years with a warm bed, good food and lots of love. The only meds she required were for her arthritis other than that she was a tough old bird :) Our vet estimated her age to be around 15 at the time she was found so she was around 18 when she passed in her sleep.

As others have said what special dogs are the oldies :heart:

I am taking heart from the knowledge that working breeds are often pretty robust just by the nature of the animal and the purpose for which they were originally bred. Don't get me wrong, I don't have an issue with paying for her upkeep to ensure she is happy and as healthy as possible but if she has big, major health issues then I would start to struggle that's all. I do have the advantage of having worked as a vet nurse and also as a zoo keeper and having had to do a lot of very interesting and challenging veterinary related stuff over the years so at least I feel confident in my ability to read the signs of whether she is having problems or undertake a bit of home nursing if needed and make a realistic decision on whether she needs more help than I can give at home.

Are you going to pledge $100 each week? Vet costs for an oldie are not a once off. I took Mini to the vet this week and checked my account. Five months after he died, I have only just paid off Grumpy's vet bill.

Bless you Sheridan for your usual constructive, supportive, positive, caring and nourishing posting. You are an example to us all.

Providing a once off $100 to someone rescueing a dog is helpful but only in the short term. You may not like that but it's the truth. You're going to be all 'I helped kelpiecuddles rescue this dog!' but it's not you who are going to be left with the vet bills.

Hi KC, I have popped in home to give the dogs a run though have to go out again, will not be able to make the pound today unless there is some sort of miracle (sorry). Happy to meet her tomorrow am and let you know asap.

If you have a chance, give me a buzz on my mobile (happy to call you back) 0499 644 155 and let me know of any specifics :)

It's mainly just how relaxed she is around people, other dogs and cats. My cat will mostly ignore the dogs and the dogs will leave her alone once they've had their first little excited hello and the kids the same but any insight would be good.

Also it would be nice to know whether she is house trained but might be hard to work out. I can't imagine that she would be easy to housetrain at her age if she isn't already.

Other than that her general health is the main thing.

Just remember that she might have a fair few good years in her left and that needs to be taken into account when looking for a puppy.

Very true. I was called by various breeders in the past couple of years saying they'd had dogs returned to them, could I help. Although, I would have loved to, there was no way I would have added another dog when I still had Grumpy. And a puppy would have been out of the question. Far too stressful for him.

That said, there will a wait for a puppy anyway.

I'm not looking for a puppy any time soon. At this stage I am just considering options with regard to the pup, it took abou 5 years from when we decided to get a basset to actually coming home with one, I don't rush in to something that is potentially a 15 year commitment. ;)

Nic I might need you to ask about her tomorrow. I've tried to call them at least 25 times today and no one has answered the phone, not sure what's going on...

Ok, if you can text me, and leave your number I will call you once I have have my hands on her tomorrow and we can discuss.

Providing a once off $100 to someone rescueing a dog is helpful but only in the short term. You may not like that but it's the truth. You're going to be all 'I helped kelpiecuddles rescue this dog!' but it's not you who are going to be left with the vet bills.

It is obvious from her posts, that Kelpiecuddles is fully cognizant of the pitfalls of veterinary bills and is seeking as much information as she can prior to making any decisions. Very wise.

So why be so negative? Just because you have incurred vet bills that have taken a while to pay off doesn't mean someone else can't rescue a dog.

And yes, of my 18,927 posts in the over 10 years of been a member of DOL (now 18928 with this one), I think 18,925 of them have been bragging about how I donated to save a dog's life.

It is obvious from her posts, that Kelpiecuddles is fully cognizant of the pitfalls of veterinary bills and is seeking as much information as she can prior to making any decisions. Very wise.

So why be so negative? Just because you have incurred vet bills that have taken a while to pay off doesn't mean someone else can't rescue a dog.

And yes, of my 18,927 posts in the over 10 years of been a member of DOL (now 18928 with this one), I think 18,925 of them have been bragging about how I donated to save a dog's life.

Oh, I wasn't being negative about kelpiecuddles, I was being negative about you.

Oh, I wasn't being negative about kelpiecuddles, I was being negative about you.

I know - it has been so for many years and, you want to know something, I couldn't care less except it becomes soooooo boring. I will continue to help where I can and be supportive and positive if I can. Unlike you.

One of the good sides of rescue I have seen on this forum is the collaborative effort made to save some dogs. We can only do what we can and sometimes just one person offering a donation can get the ball rolling as it seems has happened for this cattle girl. Good on you all those willing to help her and staying positive. I find it touching to see, especially for an elderly dog. I hope it works out for her. :thumbsup:

I know - it has been so for many years and, you want to know something, I couldn't care less except it becomes soooooo boring. I will continue to help where I can and be supportive and positive if I can. Unlike you.

Until I disagreed with you about something in recent months and you've taken the opportunity to snipe at me since, I wouldn't have a clue who you are. I don't recall your previous moniker or anything that you've said about any topic at all in the past. Hate to disabuse you of your notions that we have an ongoing dispute going back years but I really have no clue what your issues are.

As to being helpful, I don't think offering $100 and letting someone else cope with ongoing vet bills is actually helpful. I'm believe kelpiecuddles is sensible enough to make a decision without limited financial incentives.

Ta ta then.

She is blind I would say. Actually Nic can you ask what they think of her hearing, I have found blind dogs do OK as long as their hearing is still OK and vice versa but when both senses go they can get stressed and defensive which would worry me in a family environment.