15yr Old Cattle Dog In Hawkesbury

To be honest Sheridan who gives a toss :shrug: I posted this old dear in the hope that someone may be able to help. DD and Gilly have offered $200 in donations to see if that can help KC give this old girl a warm bed. KC has been completely honest in her posts and has not at any time said she will take this dog if she can't afford large vet bills or if she does not fit in with her family. So lets get back to the task in hand...and that's doing what we can for this golden oldie.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no question at all here of my time commitment and willingness, I've just spent 18 months rehabilitating a rescue british shorthair who I had shipped all the way from Perth who wouldn't come within five feet of a human being and will now practically lie on your face purring and I spent 6 months doing physio on a corella with a fractured pelvis just to get him walking vaguely normally and he's still a work in progress as he is still unable to perch or fly... So time and patience I have, reasonable vet bills I can deal with, it's only if she has a temperament that means she wouldn't fit with our house or things are likely to completely get out of hand financially that I will have issues. Of coarse I realise that she may seem fine now and then go downhill in 6 months time but by then I should be working and things will be easier anyway.

So Nic I thought I would just make a little list here for you of questions since I'll be working when you go tomorrow and so you don't have to try to look back through the thread for my ramblings :)

Any history for her on how she ended up at the pound?

Do they know how she is with other dogs(my two are girls and also working breeds)/cats/kids?

Any other health problems they know of/have checked for? - How do her joints seem/is she still quite mobile?

Does her hearing seem OK(does she seem to have any sight at all or is it completely gone)?

Does she show any tendency to snap or lash out if she is surprised?

Are they aware whether she is house trained?

Any behavioural stuff that we should be aware of, barking, etc?

Given she doesn't fit within their adoption process what are their 'terms' for release for her(costs, is she desexed, etc)

I'm sure I'll think of a few more, I'll add them to this post as I think of them

Edited by kelpiecuddles

To be honest Sheridan who gives a toss :shrug: I posted this old dear in the hope that someone may be able to help. DD and Gilly have offered $200 in donations to see if that can help KC give this old girl a warm bed. KC has been completely honest in her posts and has not at any time said she will take this dog if she can't afford large vet bills or if she does not fit in with her family. So lets get back to the task in hand...and that's doing what we can for this golden oldie.

As I said.

She is blind I would say. Actually Nic can you ask what they think of her hearing, I have found blind dogs do OK as long as their hearing is still OK and vice versa but when both senses go they can get stressed and defensive which would worry me in a family environment.

Sure :)

So Nic I thought I would just make a little list here for you of questions since I'll be working when you go tomorrow and so you don't have to try to look back through the thread for my ramblings :)

Any history for her on how she ended up at the pound?

Do they know how she is with other dogs(my two are girls and also working breeds)/cats/kids?

Any other health problems they know of/have checked for? - How do her joints seem/is she still quite mobile?

Does her hearing seem OK(does she seem to have any sight at all or is it completely gone)?

Does she show any tendency to snap or lash out if she is surprised?

Are they aware whether she is house trained?

Any behavioural stuff that we should be aware of, barking, etc?

Given she doesn't fit within their adoption process what are their 'terms' for release for her(costs, is she desexed, etc)

I'm sure I'll think of a few more, I'll add them to this post as I think of them

Thanks :) looking forward to meeting this little girl. If you send me a text, I can give you a buzz from the shelter.

I won't be able to answer my phone today Nic, I work in a shop on Saturdays, we are crazy busy. Apart fom that I seem to have temporarily misplaced my phone which is the only reason I haven't texted you yet :o I'm going to have a dig in the car in a minute before I have to leave for work...

Edited by kelpiecuddles

I won't be able to answer my phone today Nic, I work in a shop on Saturdays, we are crazy busy. Apart fom that I seem to have temporarily misplaced my phone which is the only reason I haven't texted you yet :o I'm going to have a dig in the car in a minute before I have to leave for work...

Oh no! I hate it when that happens! I recently drove off with mine on the roof of my car :cry:

No worries, if you find it text me and I will give you a call later or I can let you know here :)

I will get some more pics, though my email is down so not sure if I can send them...will try to figure something out.

There is no question of your integrity or commitment KC, whatever happens thanks for trying.

:thumbsup:

Stan's Mum thanks for sharing this little girl, you have given her the very best chance at finding a home to live out her days warm, loved and content :heart:

I am heading off to meet this little girl, I have decided to take pics and video with my phone and am hoping it will be easy to send through to you KC rather than fluff around with this stupid PC.

I am heading off to meet this little girl, I have decided to take pics and video with my phone and am hoping it will be easy to send through to you KC rather than fluff around with this stupid PC.

Thank you for going out to meet her Nic, look forward to an update :)

Thank you for going out to meet her Nic, look forward to an update :)

Me too. :crossfingers::crossfingers: it is all positive.

She is blind I would say. Actually Nic can you ask what they think of her hearing, I have found blind dogs do OK as long as their hearing is still OK and vice versa but when both senses go they can get stressed and defensive which would worry me in a family environment.

KC, I agree with you about a blind dog. Our sheltie boy went blind in his last 4-5 years. He did OK in the everyday family setting around the house. His hearing got a little dimmer, but was plenty sufficient for home life. In a funny way, because gentle touch was so important for him ... as well as talking to him before touching so he wouldn't be startled.... there was a very special bond with him.

You sound as if you've had the same experience.

I hope all goes as well as possible when you find out the full picture.

Hi Guys,

I met this dear, dear old bug this morning and she most certainly is a special soul who has been incredibly deserving of assesment, also May had such great love and support :heart:

As always there is a huge amount to consider if we are to ensure good quality of life and meaningful experiences for the rest of this little girls life. I named this little girl 'May', for some reason this name would not leave my mind the entire time.

From the moment I stepped into May's pen I knew we were up against it, though as we all do, I thought, one step at a time.

May had no vision whatsoever, immediately it was clear she had glaucoma and cateracts in her right eye and as her eyeball has sunken back, entropian was also evident. May's left eye had cateract as well. Despite this her hearing was good and despite no vision at all she was happy to meet me in her bed.

May needed gentle cues via voice and lead to walk and relied upon this so that she would not hurt herself by bumping into things, despite this she was good on her feet and responsive. May was happy for me to gently handle her (which is outstanding for a dog with no vision at all and who is also very aged) and for me to pick her up and carry her to the run.

May's physical condition was terrible. She has obviously suffered a life of passive neglect for many years, if not her entire life. May was skin and bone, despite eating a special diet very well 3 x daily at HP she has gained no weight. Her coat was very rough and her belly distended.

May had a number of mammary tumors, a chain of mammary tumors was also developing.

The most concerning issue was pyometra which appeared to be extensive as after urinating (multiple small amounts) May finished with puss and blood.

After great thought, discussion and consideration and a combination of such extensive health issues, May's age, her very poor physical condition, invasive and very risky surgery options, extensive recovery time and what she would endure during this time, the decision was made for May to be pts at the shelter this morning.

I would just like to say that if for one moment I thought May would have benefited and or enjoyed even 24 hours with me at home I would have scooped her up, bought her home with me and set her up in my bed like a queen.

To further unsettle this dear old timer further would have been stressful and put May into a place of even more vulnerabilty with new smells, sounds and a new environment.

It would also have been very unfair for May to have stayed any longer at the shelter given such extensive issues.

May's death was very quick, respectful and dignified while being nursed and cuddled.

May was very at home at HP, sadly HP is probably the best home May has ever experienced :cry: though I for one am very glad May found HP and each of us here. May had a warm bed, a safe small area to explore, jammies, a fantastic diet of quale in tiny peices, cooked chicken and rice, soft chewies and snacks.

Sorry for the long winded post, though May was such a deserving soul and very worthy of every effort made on her behalf, her story should be shared even though we hoped for more.

Oldies are incredibly special and worthy of the most incredible homes to meet their needs. We win some, we loose some. Many oldies have quality of life and will live out their days with every need met with commited owners/rescue.

May is one of the unfortunate (thanks to her owners) (who I would like to have words with) though EVERY oldie deserves a chance to be assited and assesed at the very least just has May.

KC I am sorry, I would have let you know on the spot if I could have. Shaz from ACDR and Shaz from

SLK rescue were also working very hard for May behaind the sceens.

Run Free May xxxx :heart::heart::heart: Yes!! Good Girl!

Hi Guys,

May's death was very quick, respectful and dignified while being nursed and cuddled.

May was very at home at HP, sadly HP is probably the best home May has ever experienced :cry: though I for one am very glad May found HP and each of us here. May had a warm bed, a safe small area to explore, jammies, a fantastic diet of quale in tiny peices, cooked chicken and rice, soft chewies and snacks.

S

Run Free May xxxx :heart::heart::heart: Yes!! Good Girl!

Bless you, Nic, & all who were stepping up to help her. May had so much love in that short time. I'm sure it made her poor, dear heart glad. She closed her eyes for the last time, still feeling that she was a much loved princess. Now she can't suffer any more.

May's memory will live on in that she's made people even more willing to do what they can for the old dogs. So, bless her, too.

Poor May, RIP beautiful old girl. Her owners should be shot. In this life you are very fortunate to be able to own a dog, it is a privilege, not a right and some people simply abuse this privilege in so many ways. I hope they get what they deserve.

I'm glad she is now free of pain and experienced so much tlc and support in her last few days.

Bless you Nic for your loving soul, it's so hard to see things like this, it's what keeps wonderful people awake in the small hours, suffering the pain of losing the ones we couldn't help.

I've been following this girls plight very closely. I'm so sorry it came to this but it certainly sounds like the right decision was made for May. :( Sometimes we just have to accept that it is their time. So bless you Nic (and the pound) for allowing May to peacefully rest.