15yr Old Cattle Dog In Hawkesbury

Bless you, Nic, & all who were stepping up to help her. May had so much love in that short time. I'm sure it made her poor, dear heart glad. She closed her eyes for the last time, still feeling that she was a much loved princess. Now she can't suffer any more.

May's memory will live on in that she's made people even more willing to do what they can for the old dogs. So, bless her, too.

My thanks too, to the people who made May's last few days comfortable, warm, well fed, worthwhile and respected.

Thanks to Nic for giving us all such an invaluable insight to her last days and to the way Hawkesbury people treat "their" dogs.

No doubt, Kelpiecuddles, you will shed a little tear for "what might have been", but without your intervention, questions and interest, May might have been just another statistic and Nic might not have gone to assess her today and by doing so has made her an ongoing part of the DOL awareness and education.

The only thing sad about this story is the past. As Mita says, hopefully her legacy will be that more people realise the value and worth of elderly dogs and go out of their way to help them.

RIP Beautiful May. :rainbowbridge::rainbowbridge:

Edited by Danny's Darling

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest Sheridan who gives a toss :shrug: I posted this old dear in the hope that someone may be able to help. DD and Gilly have offered $200 in donations to see if that can help KC give this old girl a warm bed. KC has been completely honest in her posts and has not at any time said she will take this dog if she can't afford large vet bills or if she does not fit in with her family. So lets get back to the task in hand...and that's doing what we can for this golden oldie.

Amen to that !!!

Good on you Stans mum for doing what you coul. Also to Nic & everybody who tried to help but I just sadly read poor May had to be pts. Her said life of neglect had eventually caught up with her.

RIP Sweet ol' girl :cry: Run free now :angel:

Edited by BC Crazy

Run free sweet old girl... we will not forget you May. Look for my Woosie at the Bridge, she'll show you the best sunny sleeping spots, OK?

Nic - have I told you lately how much I like and respect you? Thank you for giving this girl the dignified end she deserved.

T.

Wow where do I start :( I've had two friends lose their beloved oldies in the last 24 hours and now dear May joins those shining stars in the sky. Thank you to all that helped in giving dear May a chance, cause as we know all they ask for is a chance. Kelpiecuddles thanks for doing everything you could to save this dear girl. DD and Gilly, goes without saying your generous offers of financial help were very much appreciated and Nic...well how do I thank you for going to the pound, giving her a name and showing her the love and respect she deserved at the end.

:rainbowbridge: run free May.

post-38965-0-11558400-1367656253_thumb.png

Wow where do I start :( I've had two friends lose their beloved oldies in the last 24 hours and now dear May joins those shining stars in the sky. Thank you to all that helped in giving dear May a chance, cause as we know all they ask for is a chance. Kelpiecuddles thanks for doing everything you could to save this dear girl. DD and Gilly, goes without saying your generous offers of financial help were very much appreciated and Nic...well how do I thank you for going to the pound, giving her a name and showing her the love and respect she deserved at the end.

:rainbowbridge: run free May.

Thank YOU so much Stan's Mum :heart: A bunch of us were able and willing to help this little girl in different ways, and we did everything we possibly could. I hope that spirit keeps going and going.

DD was spot on, I would not have even known about May other than your post SM advocating on May's behalf. I am grateful for your post and (while I had my hopes pinned on being able to offer better news for May) ultimately to have assisted May in running free sooner rather than later does in a way offer some sort of peace.

Thank you GillyB :heart:

Dogmad, you are spot on. There is NO excuse. I have met people who are homeless yet they care for and feed their dogs before themselves.

I think our little Miss May will keep us inspired and motivated in doing our best to help other oldies in need :heart:

Thank you Nic for going and sharing your love with May and ensuring her last little while was peaceful. It is extremely sad that it had to come to this but I am glad she ended up in HP rather than dying probably alone and in pain at home from infection.

Aww RIP May. :rainbowbridge: now at the rainbow bridge where there is no pain, just friends and love and lots of juicy meaty bones.

Thankyou to everyone who made her feel safe and loved in her last days. :hug:

The fact that good people intervened on May's behalf saved her from something far worse.

Not only did they offer a chance of a better life, if her condition permitted, but they saved her from a lingering very painful further decline, when it didn't.

Which is why, I'd be willing to offer a donation to good people who try to help an aged homeless dog (as Gill & DD did). There's mercy in both directions.

Sleep in peace, sweet May.

Edited by mita

May would be so happy to know she was very important :) and that there were goodness knows how many people willing and able to support May in health and happiness ( and she was given that chance).

As Mita has said so well (and so many others) May deserved her chance. An honest, up front assessment at the very least.

It is really difficult as a dog lover to assess unknown dogs at times. We would all like so much more for the dogs we meet in pounds and shelters. And we think "what if" or "if only".

My kelpie Bella is 13 now so only a tad behind May in age really, though most people (aside from our Vet and Bella's grey muzzle) would put Bella at 2 or 3 years of age in terms of her physical condition, activity levels and her (silly/she drives me batty) antics.

Working breeds are fairly robust, tough and are most certainly a breed who dig fairly deep in terms of health issues if they are given that chance.

Perhaps that is how and why May kept going for so long without any help? May was without doubt a tough, strong, deeply trusting and biddable old timer who was so very worthy of every single effort made on her behalf.

I am glad we offered that for May.

As much as we all hoped for so much more for May (and I would have done anything for May once I met her) it was very much (IMO) kinder to offer May a dignified and humane death rather than put her through what she needed to face (surgery) if she were to have any quality of life in her future at an old age.

I agree there is no excuse for this type of neglect. Passive neglect is abuse, and is probably the most common neglect/abuse seen in pounds and shelters.

Sorry for the rant. It frustrates me beyond belife that this sort of thing hapens over and over again and that people who love and adore dogs who help these bugs, are left to pick up the peices.

IMO there needs to be a register for tosser owners. If the dog is chipped and suffers neglect it should be recorded.

May deserved her chance. An honest, up front assessment at the very least.

IMO there needs to be a register for tosser owners. If the dog is chipped and suffers neglect it should be recorded.

From now on, a dog like that will be 'a May dog' to me.

You're so right that passive neglect is the biggest form of pet cruelty around.

And the owners tend to get off scott free while, if the dog is lucky, some compassionate people pick up the pieces... or, if not, the dog has a truly horrible decline.

I wish there was a campaign to raise community awareness... & standards...about 'May dogs'.

Their fate shouldn't go unnoticed & unrecorded.