Dog Lovers Show

tlc

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Clover

Going to check it out, not really expecting much for my $22 admission but oh well. And I will just avoid the dodgy folk like the plague.

Heavens, tlc. Haven't you been on DOL long enough :laugh: :laugh: . There could be a stoush as to whether or not the sky was blue.

:laugh: Yea I should have known!

Anyway whoever is going have a great day and pop back here and tell us what it was like!

Just went to visit the site - Pet Rescue will be there too. I think someone raised a good point about being louder and prouder.

Yes, I agree to a point. I am always willing to donate my time to do demos with my dogs (4 hour round trip for a 5 min retrieving demo at a winery a few months ago) but there was such a strong emphasis on me doing everything (involving time and money) and them doing nothing (and making $$$) that I decided against it. They contacted me originally, didn't follow up as discussed and then sent emails telling me the audition day was cancelled due to an overwhelming response (huh?), please submit your proposal ASAP (huh?), thank you for proposal but you were unsuccessful (huh?). And didn't respond when I replied to those emails. Clearly generic emails sent to a mailing list but simply not helpful if you're trying to get people to volunteer their valuable time.

Ugh, I would be done with that too!! Maybe they were just the hired marketing help that was so lacking... here's hoping!!

It seems to be more that the organisers are first-time large event organisers, and have taken some bad advice and made some promises that it turned out they didn't have the power to follow through with. At least some of the breed clubs are still going now that the major problem, which was that originally they were told no crates or show trolleys were allowed for the dogs on display to have a break on "advice" from an unknown source, has been resolved. I'm still a bit annoyed about the parking, but *shrug* I'll be there on Saturday, representing my club, and will probably have a look around the rest of it when I'm on a break. I have no problem with organisations that I wouldn't have a bar of being there, if they happen to be dog-related - I am not the organiser. Hopefully the organisers will learn a lot from this year if they do it again in future.

Zeph and I will be there on Sunday. :thumbsup:

The biggest problem I have with the organisers was the stipulation that all dogs over 6 months had to be de-sexed :eek: Thankfully Dogs Vic fixed that problem. They also require a copy of your dog's current vaccination certificate or a stat dec stating current vaccination/worming/fleaing status. It is rather difficult for those of us that are only vaccinating tri-annually.

They also require that exhibitors have Public Liability Insurance (Dogs Vic members are covered for this I believe as it is a VCA sanctioned event) pet insurance and proof of registration.

I think that the organisers have been ill advised in many respects.

Hoping to pick up a couple of birthday presents for Zeph and Baylee :D

Maverick & I will be at the Lort Smith stall on Friday :)

Will also be avoiding certain stalls like the plague but looking forward to have a look at the other reputable stalls, especially happy to see the Rotties will be there! :love: :love:

Edited by MavericksMission

Guest Clover

I was not overly impressed with it, but it is only the first year. Got a couple of freebies. But was not tempted to spend stupid amounts of money on stuff my dogs don't need (collars and cutesy coats, treats and dry food). Stopped to say hello to the JRT stand and didn't even get a hello from the two women manning it :(. To bad if my mum and I were general public wanting to know about the breed.

It was a good day out with my favourite people though :love:.

I saw the little freebie bag on a girl on the train and I had to ask what she got and it didn't really excite me, sad the women weren't very attentive. Seems a waste of time for them to go really!!

Might see what time the other half gets up and if he feels like a jaunt in to town, won't hold my breath... :laugh:

I went and I enjoyed it. I got a few free stuff ( I might have went a bit crazy on the free stuff :laugh: ) and got my boy a couple of things. Was a little disapointed at some of the breed stands as some of the people there didnt really look like they were intersed in talking to anyone. But still I met some goregous dogs and some lovely owners. Fell in love with a Boxer down stairs and a hansome Rottweiler who looked like he was just loving the attention :laugh: and the Bernese Mountain dogs to, also talked to the lady with the lovely Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers. I also got to meet for the first time a Clumber Spaniel and Finnsih Lapphund. Also talked to a nice lady at the Aussie stand about the breed and her goreous Aussie. Everytime I went past someone I wondered if they were a Doler :laugh:

I went today, arrived around 10am and left around 2pm.

Took advantage of all the freebies on offer. Food for humans was very limited and pricey, glad I took my own drink.

One end of the building seemed more cramped with stalls while the other end seemed more roomy, perhaps could of moved a couple towards that end.

Yes I was hoping that some stuff I use would be slightly cheaper than in their stores but nope.

Grabbed alot of brochures as my club is looking for sponsorship of our speciality coming up, got good responses from alot of people.

Checked out the breed stalls after that, Lappie stand was too crowded to say hi.

OES stand seemed abit hidden next to the AVA stand, unless thats where they wanted to be????

Was a good morning out.

BB