12 Year Old Cav King Charles Free On Gumtree

Well, I have broken my promise (again :eek::eek: ) to my dogs. I've sent off an email to them giving my email address (required by GumTree) and phone number saying I would love him, but if I was successful, he would be going to rescue.

However, as I was the 3,049th visitor, I doubt Tyler is still available.

I tried phoning first, but there is just a "silly bugger" message on the phone, that is, just some girls giggling and someone saying, "Umm."

The ad may not even be kosher ..... School Holidays.

Well, I have broken my promise (again :eek::eek: ) to my dogs. I've sent off an email to them giving my email address (required by GumTree) and phone number saying I would love him, but if I was successful, he would be going to rescue.

I tried phoning first, but there is just a "silly bugger" message on the phone, that is, just some girls giggling and someone saying, "Umm."

The ad says "that's why my parents bought him for my siblings and myself" so the ad was created by a kid. On one hand I hope the parents knew about it, but on the other hand I hope they didn't know about it and put a stop to it as soon as they found out :mad

The ad says "that's why my parents bought him for my siblings and myself" so the ad was created by a kid. On one hand I hope the parents knew about it, but on the other hand I hope they didn't know about it and put a stop to it as soon as they found out :mad

Not necessarily. Might be ploy by parents to increase Tyler's attractiveness.

However, having tried a few times now to phone and just get silly gobbledegook and giggling, I think it is a prank.

I thought it may have been a hoax at first but then I couldn't figure out what on Earth would be funny about it :(

And sadly I've heard stupid reasons like this before....

If the number has that message then I'm hoping it is a hoax with stolen pictures.

There's just been another strange ad about a 'free' dog on Gumtree. Heading was P/B Tibetan Spaniel. Picture was of a dog that didn't resemble a Tibbie in any way. Looked like a Silky Terrier. Ad said he'd lost one leg in an accident. As the dog was wrapped in a baby blanket, with only face showing ... that couldn't be verified.

Bless one of the best of rescuers who emailed an enquiry. But no reply.

BTW, I just looked at PetRescue's Home Page. Pop-up Gumtree ads are scrolling across the top, bottom & side. They're overwhelming the Pet Rescue information. Could give the impression that the dogs advertised on Gumtree are rescue dogs.

http://www.petrescue.com.au/

ADDED: Well, that's interesting... on a second visit, the Gumtree ads were just scrolling on the side.

Edited by mita

BTW, I just looked at PetRescue's Home Page. Pop-up Gumtree ads are scrolling across the top, bottom & side. They're overwhelming the Pet Rescue information. Could give the impression that the dogs advertised on Gumtree are rescue dogs.

ADDED: Well, that's interesting... on a second visit, the Gumtree ads were just scrolling on the side.

They could fix that if they wanted.

They could fix that if they wanted.

Makes lots of sense running that much advertising for your competitors... NOT!

T.

Talk about the full circle. Visted PetRescue Facebook a third time.... & one of the Gumtree ads scrolling at the side was for the 12 yr old Cav.

A lot of the time they have no control over what ads get played. They sell the ad space and "relevant" ads get shown. Although you'd think someone with some common sense would say "uh, maybe selling dogs in the classifieds on a pet rescue site isn't do good as it looks like we are advocating the buying and selling of dogs through classifieds?" :banghead:

I've seen it happen in an odd way on an American rescue site. I'm on an international Tibbie list.... lot of Americans. I was checking a US rescue site to look at a mislabelled Tibbie (as a Peke). The pop-up scrolling ads at the side were for a general dog rescue based in Q'ld.

Made me think they'd been triggered by my location.

Talk about the full circle. Visted PetRescue Facebook a third time.... & one of the Gumtree ads scrolling at the side was for the 12 yr old Cav.

A lot of the time they have no control over what ads get played. They sell the ad space and "relevant" ads get shown. Although you'd think someone with some common sense would say "uh, maybe selling dogs in the classifieds on a pet rescue site isn't do good as it looks like we are advocating the buying and selling of dogs through classifieds?" :banghead:

I think if you have the Google ads you can adjust them to prevent certain types of ads appearing.

So many free dogs on Gumtree - had a look today and the first six are free. Labrador, Cocker Spaniel, American Bulldog - young and none desexed. I notice someone keeps putting in an ad advising people not to give their dogs away free it might help save a few I suppose.