Bitch In Season

Kahnazhu

Hi All,

Our bitch has unexpectedly come into season :doh::grimace: . Should I withdraw from the shows we have entered? I'm pretty sure we can still enter, but is it more polite to pull her out?

Sorry if this has been asked before! I tried to search but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance!

I have shown in season bitches and I have withdrawn them depending on how they are acting and how big the show is :)

At a recent show we showed the bitch but scratched the dog as all he could think about was his girl LOL He is fine if any other bitch is in season ;)

Take her to the shows, but be considerate of other exhibitors.

Agree with this.

Don't set up front row near the ring or walk her around & stand in the middle of the marshaling area.

We only showed girls in season at important shows & only if they where a very competitive bitch & she wasn't affected by being in season .

Depends upon the breed. And as others have said, be considerate. Waving a bitch in season under the noses of the boys, whether intentionally or otherwise will do nothing to make friends! :laugh:

Personally, I prefer not to show bitches which are in full standing heat but that is just me. Smooth coated breeds can look just plain UGLY when they're swollen and dripping (sorry to be so graphic), coated breeds aren't quite as nasty.

Whatever the breed though, it is courtesy to mention to the judge that the bitch is in season BEFORE they start to go over the back end, lest they get a nasty and messy shock.

Take her to the shows, but be considerate of other exhibitors.

This, keep her covered in a crate or gazebo with walls, don't parade her around the marshalling area and toilet away from others.

There is no reason why you shouldn't show.

This ^^

Also depends a bit on the bitch herself and the breed and whether she is just started, in full standing heat, or on the way out. Is she going to be cranky, flat or aggressive? If so, leave her home. Is she going to go around the ring flagging her tail showing her goodies and you have a breed that is meant to carry their tail down? OTOH, perhaps she is going to be "Oh boy, look at all these BOYS!" and on her toes showing off in which case as long as you're polite about it you might get a good performance from her ;)

Also depends whether you have boys you want to show at the same time and how they will react to having "their" girl in season around other males.

Keep her out of people's faces, don't let her toilet in or around the rings, warn the judge and usually you are OK. Personally I can't be bothered unless it is a super important show, and there aren't many of those.

Also depends a bit on the bitch herself and the breed and whether she is just started, in full standing heat, or on the way out. Is she going to be cranky, flat or aggressive? If so, leave her home. Is she going to go around the ring flagging her tail showing her goodies and you have a breed that is meant to carry their tail down? OTOH, perhaps she is going to be "Oh boy, look at all these BOYS!" and on her toes showing off in which case as long as you're polite about it you might get a good performance from her ;)

Also depends whether you have boys you want to show at the same time and how they will react to having "their" girl in season around other males.

Keep her out of people's faces, don't let her toilet in or around the rings, warn the judge and usually you are OK. Personally I can't be bothered unless it is a super important show, and there aren't many of those.

Thanks Everyone!

She's just starting, so won't be in full standing heat and we are the only entry for our breed, so we won't have to worry about others in the ring unless we make it to group.

She actually seems perkier than usual, so she may even prance around a bit. I think we'll go and see how she goes and if it's causing trouble we'll come home.

Thanks so much for everyone's advice!! I really appreciate it :)