Dog Changing

MrBusy

Our Border Collie (male, desexed) is now four years old. My husband is a shift worker and therefore away from home for a day or so at a time. Last night when getting the dogs dinner ready, hubby walked into the kitchen, the dog squeezed between me and the cupboard. Hubby came over to say hello to me and then went to pat the dog but the dog beared his teeth, didn't growl but not good. I gave hubby a piece of meat to give the dog but as he held the meat out, again the dog bearded his teeth. This is a big worry for me and husband. Would appreciate any help in how to deal with the problem as I do not want it to escalate. Thank you

First suggestion is a vet check to make sure there's nothing physically wrong.

Second suggestion is to bring in a professional behaviourist to evaluate the situation. There could be any number of explanations, including health and eyesight issues, but you need someone who can actually look at your dog and its interactions with your family to diagnose the issue. If you tell us where you are located people will be able to suggest the right person for you to consult.

Good on you for wanting to sort things early.

Our Border Collie (male, desexed) is now four years old. My husband is a shift worker and therefore away from home for a day or so at a time. Last night when getting the dogs dinner ready, hubby walked into the kitchen, the dog squeezed between me and the cupboard. Hubby came over to say hello to me and then went to pat the dog but the dog beared his teeth, didn't growl but not good. I gave hubby a piece of meat to give the dog but as he held the meat out, again the dog bearded his teeth. This is a big worry for me and husband. Would appreciate any help in how to deal with the problem as I do not want it to escalate. Thank you

Add some blood tests onto the vet visit. I'd be starting with a thyroid check.

Make sure you get a professional who is both qualified and experienced with dog aggression. You are unlikely to get what you need from a franchise pet dog trainer.

As Aphra has posted. I hope you can get it sorted quickly.

Are you away from home through the day, or is the dog with you most of the time?

Hello,

The dog is with us almost all of the time. On most days I take him to work and he is very occasionally left in the yard for a day if I cannot take him to work. If hubby is off shift he looks after him.

I was wondering if he thinks he may be the boss.

MrBusy if you are happy to provide the area you are in someone should be able to recommend a good local behavioural trainer :) It's impossible to accurately advise on this sort of thing over the internet.

Just thinking, Mr Busy is your dog a "smiler"? Sounds to me that your dog was worried about your husband's approach and hid behind you. Has there been any kind of interaction between them that you don't know about? Some rough handling perhaps?

Some dogs bare teeth as a sort of anxiety/uncertainty based reaction.

You need a decent behaviourist but rereading your post, a dog baring teeth when offered meat does seem a bit odd.

Forget any Cesar Milan type thoughts about dominance and get a decent professional to advise. "Boss" dogs don't hide. This sounds more like fear but you need someone in the room to advise.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Your dog and you need personal help from a recommended professional

And no, not one of the franchises..

There could be a couple of things happening, and trying to fix things without help

May be detrimental.

If you post your location (state, town or city) someone here will suggest where to for trusted help and advice :)

I used to have a Jack Russell cross, he was a rescue and at first - when I didn't know him - I was really worried when he'd show his teeth but after some time, I realised he was just doing that when I got in the door or I said would you like some dinner Herbie? He was very smart and was communicating with me by smiling ... it was something I had to be very wary of when rehoming him because most people thought he was baring his teeth.

Yes get him assessed. So many possibilities.

One of which is him potentially deciding to guard you, and keep your husband away, as if you're a possession.

And another of which is your dog couldn't see properly (as suggested in an earlier post) and interpreted your husband as a potentially scary intruder.

Your training response in each case would be completely different.

So get to the vet, and if all seems ok health-wise, ask someone to come out for a look and to give you some professional advice.

Thanks snook I just presumed they would give a warning snarl or some sound..

If the dog was being aggressive wouldn't he be growling or making some sort of noise?? I know dogs that show teeth but they are definately not being aggressive..

A dog doesn't have to be making any sound in order to be giving a warning and baring teeth should most definitely be considered as a warning unless you are told otherwise by a professional, in relation to a specific dog.