This Is Just Wrong On So Many Levels!

tdierikx

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/passers-by-filmed-dog-attack-instead-of-helping/story-e6frfkp9-1226634206586

A MAN mauled by a pack of savage dogs has lashed out at passers-by who filmed the attack rather than help him.

Four American Staffordshire terriers attacked the man, Mr Tat, as he went to move his car near his Drummond St flat, Carlton, on Tuesday night.

The dogs attacked him from behind and surrounded him, inflicting many bite wounds in a frenzied 15-minute attack.

Eventually, with the help of a nearby security guard, witnesses pulled the dogs off Mr Tat and called the police.

"He was very upset that there were so many people around and no one helped him," his son, Vi, told the Herald Sun.

"My father was very upset when he saw that they were taping the attack and not helping."

He said he could hear his father's screams from their 15th storey flat.

"It was so shocking to hear all the screaming and then hear my father was involved," Vi said.

"We want someone to come forward and take responsibility for this.

"We want the dogs found.

"My father is very big and tall. Imagine if it was a child the dogs went for."

Vi said his father feared the dogs could strike again.

Authorities have so far failed to find the animals.

The 52-year-old had an operation for his injuries, but doctors at the Royal Melbourne Hospital warn he has suffered nerve damage and may lose feeling in his right arm.

He had deep bite marks to his legs and stomach.

------------------------------------

Why would anyone think it was OK to just film someone being attacked by FOUR large dogs, rather than go and help him??

I'm so ashamed to be human sometimes...

T.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's terrible that it was filmed.

But I will be honest I am not sure I'd go in and try to help, I would be terrified of the dogs attacking me. Maybe if I had a steel pipe or something to beat them off might be a different matter. You don't know till you are in that situation.

At obedience I made a pact with myself that if there is a dog fight I will not go in to break it up while the owner stands idly by and watches. I will however separate dogs if mine happen to be involved which has happened a couple of times, once resulting in me being bitten badly.

I feel awful for the poor man.

It looked dark (although that may have been the video) who walks 4 big powerful dogs like that not leashed? Apart from it being illegal its just stupidity!

Edited by tlc

Seriously though... how many of you that would be hesitant to physically help would pull out your phone and film it happening?

I'd be at least using the bloody phone to call the cops/ambulance, then trying to assist in any other way I could.

T.

Seriously though... how many of you that would be hesitant to physically help would pull out your phone and film it happening?

I'd be at least using the bloody phone to call the cops/ambulance, then trying to assist in any other way I could.

T.

Agreed Tdierikx!

T.

Agree! I would be too scared to help out physically but I would be on the phone to cops and running to look for someone to help ASAP!

The thing I think is curious is the naming of the breed. They're not 'pitbulls', they're American Staffordshire Terriers. That signifies one of two things: they've actually identified the dogs or worse, they've decided that amstaffs are the new dangerous breed du jour.

T.

I would totally be doing every other thing possible to try to help the poor man. Filming it would be the last thing I would think of. Hopefully the height of the man may have helped save his life, had he have been pulled on to the ground he wouldn't have had a hope!

I think it's wrong for the victim to be upset that the witnesses didn't help him. If I were in his position, I would not have expected anybody else to jeopardize their life and limbs for me - those dogs clearly meant business. I'm not sure what he expected them to do - it would have taken a great deal of courage for the average person to get out of their car and go over and help.. and if they had gone about it the wrong way they could have made things worse! The only person this man should be mad at is the fool who failed to keep their animals properly confined.

If I was in the victims position, I would WANT someone to film it happening! You can't dispute such strong evidence in court.. I am sure this man will have no trouble at all pursuing a case with the owner of these dogs and he has every right too. I do hope that the police were called first/called by somebody else in the car.

Poor man - that should never happen.

I'm in two minds about the people recording though. If you watch the video in the link, you can hear them asking people to try and get a weapon to help, and that they were trying to get the man to get into their car. If you're not a dog person, that would be a very frightening thing to try and intervene in.

:flame::flame: Donning my flame suit here, but the comment by the son about being disappointed nobody helped him is a bit hypocritical I feel. He says he could hear all the screaming from his 15th floor apartment, and then later found out it was his father. He heard all the screaming, but he didn't do anything to find out who was screaming or why? He found out later that it was his dad. To me that reads that he wasn't prepared to do anything either, but now that it has personally affected him, he is disappointed others acted the same way he did. Particularly if you are listening to the noise for 10-15 mins, as was described.

:flame::flame: Donning my flame suit here, but the comment by the son about being disappointed nobody helped him is a bit hypocritical I feel. He says he could hear all the screaming from his 15th floor apartment, and then later found out it was his father. He heard all the screaming, but he didn't do anything to find out who was screaming or why? He found out later that it was his dad. To me that reads that he wasn't prepared to do anything either, but now that it has personally affected him, he is disappointed others acted the same way he did. Particularly if you are listening to the noise for 10-15 mins, as was described.

This, times a billion.

The son (apparently ) made no effort to help someone in trouble, He shouldnt be complaining about others not helping either.

Why would anyone think it was OK to just film someone being attacked by FOUR large dogs, rather than go and help him??

100% agreed - wtf is wrong with some people! Are we brainwashed with that much reality TV now that everyone is a spectator even when real shit is going down that they just watch it?!

I would totally be doing every other thing possible to try to help the poor man. Filming it would be the last thing I would think of. Hopefully the height of the man may have helped save his life, had he have been pulled on to the ground he wouldn't have had a hope!

100% agreed - me too

I think it's wrong for the victim to be upset that the witnesses didn't help him. If I were in his position, I would not have expected anybody else to jeopardize their life and limbs for me - those dogs clearly meant business.

What a charming sentiment! All for one and one for none!

It beggars belief that someone would stand by and not only do nothing but film it while someone is screaming out for help! Absolutely he is justified in being upset no-one nearby help! I would be livid........his injuries could have been even less if more people got involved earlier on.........

Its one thing if you are frozen with fear and can't get over there to physcially help but at least seek help one way or another - getting others to help, calling police, rangers, anyone...........don't just stand there like a spectator filming it all!

If those dogs pulled that guy to the ground and killed him do you think the grieving family would rather the evidence to help prosecute the person who owned those dogs even if they track them down and get their dogs euthanised and give them a measly prison sentence if really lucky or have someone not get the evidence on film and possibly help save their beloveds life instead??!

Shame shame on anyone who witnessed this (including the son if that's the case) and did nothing or worse still filmed it.

This, times a billion.

The son (apparently ) made no effort to help someone in trouble, He shouldnt be complaining about others not helping either.

Getting down 15 floors takes time. I don't see anywhere in the article where it says the son never tried to help?

I understand the son being upset. His Dad was mauled by a pack of dogs and then, no doubt, he had to deal with a pack of journalists.

I am terrified of most bull breeds, so I don't think I could help even if I wanted to. However, I would call the ploice and get into my car and try to drive up to them and scare them off.

Poor man. In other articles I read the dogs were on leash but got away?

This, times a billion.

Getting down 15 floors takes time. I don't see anywhere in the article where it says the son never tried to help?

I understand the son being upset. His Dad was mauled by a pack of dogs and then, no doubt, he had to deal with a pack of journalists.

I am terrified of most bull breeds, so I don't think I could help even if I wanted to. However, I would call the ploice and get into my car and try to drive up to them and scare them off.

Poor man. In other articles I read the dogs were on leash but got away?

Nearby security guard and witnesses helped the man, not the son. Even taking the stairs it doesn't take 15 minutes to get to the ground floor.

Easy to judge until the day you're standing in the shoes of the witnesses.

Most would only help if they thought they could. Fewer would help even though they'd have considered themselves at risk.

And some, would simply freeze.

Frankly the video may be the most useful thing done in the end. Its a record of both the attack and the dogs that did it.

100% agreed - wtf is wrong with some people! Are we brainwashed with that much reality TV now that everyone is a spectator even when real shit is going down that they just watch it?!

100% agreed - me too

I think it's wrong for the victim to be upset that the witnesses didn't help him. If I were in his position, I would not have expected anybody else to jeopardize their life and limbs for me - those dogs clearly meant business.

What a charming sentiment! All for one and one for none!

It beggars belief that someone would stand by and not only do nothing but film it while someone is screaming out for help! Absolutely he is justified in being upset no-one nearby help! I would be livid........his injuries could have been even less if more people got involved earlier on.........

Its one thing if you are frozen with fear and can't get over there to physcially help but at least seek help one way or another - getting others to help, calling police, rangers, anyone...........don't just stand there like a spectator filming it all!

If those dogs pulled that guy to the ground and killed him do you think the grieving family would rather the evidence to help prosecute the person who owned those dogs even if they track them down and get their dogs euthanised and give them a measly prison sentence if really lucky or have someone not get the evidence on film and possibly help save their beloveds life instead??!

Shame shame on anyone who witnessed this (including the son if that's the case) and did nothing or worse still filmed it.

I have to agree. There is no way on this earth I would have been able to witness this attack and not do my very best to assist the man personally.

Having said that, I have the benefit of some experience with dogs.

Pack mentality at it's worst :( The fellow being attacked will never forget this, I hope he is doing ok now.

I hope they find the dogs and they are pts.

I hope those who were supposedly "in control" of the dogs (supposedly taking them for a walk) are prosecuted as well...

Seriously though, it's kinda funny how many of us are saying that they wouldn't try to assist for fear of themselves being injured... I wonder how many of us would feel the same about others witnessing one of us being attacked like this and not trying to help?

Much as I'd hate to bear the brunt of a well aimed AmStaff bite (or a few bites) - I simply couldn't stand by and just "witness" another human being taking that sort of attack from FOUR large AmStaffs... if I could divert the attention of even ONE of them, that would be better than standing by, filming it on my phone, and essentially letting it carry on.

T.

God either that guy is short or those are some big "AmStaffs".

I don't think I would be able to run in and help unless I had a weapon (maybe not even then). If it were a frenzied attack and the dogs were acting in a pack like structure there is nothing stopping them from attacking you as well.

I wouldn't stand there and record the incident on my phone though. Its all good for people to be disgusted that the guy did film it, but until you are in that position you can't really say how you would react.

The whole incident seems strange to me though, quite random.