This Is Just Wrong On So Many Levels!

tdierikx

recently I read about a woman in the UK who was walking her King Charles down a path when it was set upon by a Pit Bull.

Apparently the attack went on for 25 minutes - all of which she filmed FFS!! (I've seen the film and it is a Pitty for those who will insist it couldn't have been plus the other owner had told the owner that too)

I couldn't get over that, I'd have been trying to kick the crap out of the other dog or insisting it's owners grab it.

It was all a bit strange. Eventually another walker came along and separated the dogs. Why the owner filmed it and did nothing to help her dog, I simply cannot fathom.

As for this case, it would have been terrifying to have tried to intervene with those large dogs in attack mode but perhaps I'd have driven at them or something ...

Edited by dogmad

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

recently I read about a woman in the UK who was walking her King Charles down a path when it was set upon by a Pit Bull.

Apparently the attack went on for 25 minutes - all of which she filmed FFS!! (I've seen the film and it is a Pitty for those who will insist it couldn't have been plus the other owner had told the owner that too)

I couldn't get over that, I'd have been trying to kick the crap out of the other dog or insisting it's owners grab it.

It was all a bit strange. Eventually another walker came along and separated the dogs. Why the owner filmed it and did nothing to help her dog, I simply cannot fathom.

As for this case, it would have been terrifying to have tried to intervene with those large dogs in attack mode but perhaps I'd have driven at them or something ...

WTF! I'd have just picked the cavvie up. I've had to do it before when we had a cattle dog mix rush Bella and I while the owner just stood there watching.

I think that story is utter baloney and the footage I've seen looks more like someone working a young fighting dog on a bait dog than anything else.

Pro dog fighting sickos getting their jollies IMO.

:flame::flame: Donning my flame suit here, but the comment by the son about being disappointed nobody helped him is a bit hypocritical I feel. He says he could hear all the screaming from his 15th floor apartment, and then later found out it was his father. He heard all the screaming, but he didn't do anything to find out who was screaming or why? He found out later that it was his dad. To me that reads that he wasn't prepared to do anything either, but now that it has personally affected him, he is disappointed others acted the same way he did. Particularly if you are listening to the noise for 10-15 mins, as was described.

This, times a billion.

The son (apparently ) made no effort to help someone in trouble, He shouldnt be complaining about others not helping either.

Getting down 15 floors takes time. I don't see anywhere in the article where it says the son never tried to help?

I understand the son being upset. His Dad was mauled by a pack of dogs and then, no doubt, he had to deal with a pack of journalists.

I am terrified of most bull breeds, so I don't think I could help even if I wanted to. However, I would call the ploice and get into my car and try to drive up to them and scare them off.

Poor man. In other articles I read the dogs were on leash but got away?

Yes, probably 3 minutes if you're doing it really slow down the stairs. The attack apparently went on for 10-15 minutes.

I feel sorry for the dad, nobody should have to suffer that.

Obviously I seemed to have a watched a different video to some of you here - Seems people love to judge without even really considering what we are shown.

Why judge the man who filmed - for a start there is only a few minutes of filming and although the man was calling for help he wasn't screaming nor were the dogs in a fenzy of attack - they were baiting him - same as when you see dogs go after sheep or goats. The person filming was in a car and stopped... probably scared to get out (who would blame him).... reporter says he was tried to call the man over to the car - probably filmed to at least get some record and perhaps he did call police. Reporter says 5 dogs only really see 4 in shot and there were two who appeared to be the main problem.

Mr Tat was sensible enough to get into a bit of a corner to protect himself as best as possible and stay fairly still which meant he probably minimalised the damage these dogs could have done. He tried very bravely to keep some semblance of calm - this may have had the effect of keeping people back a bit as they were not sure how to help.

As far as any judgement of his son - In the video Dad wasnt 'screaming' just yelling so consider how long before his son (15 floors up - approx 50 metres) would realise something is going on other than perhaps two drunks having an argument - Even after say 4-5 minutes and then looking out the window would he even see that distance IN THE DARK and realise there is a serious problem let alone that it was his dad in trouble..... Sheese people be a bit sympathetic.

Truth be said they are big friggin dogs - I'm not at all surprised that people were hesitant to step in.... there would be many people scared to intercept with these dogs - including 90% of us dog owners - I don't know how I would react in that situation, those dogs were friggin scary. Careful how you judge someone without walking in their shoes first.

Hope those dogs are dealt with .... they are a danger to the community and although obviously the owners are the problem.... some breeds are more of a problem and our dog community needs to be prepared for the fallout .... could you imagine a pack of corgies doing the same thing.

Edited by alpha bet

Firstly there's no point 20 separate people all calling the police at once, there is a reasonable chance that someone was attempting to call for help even if others were filming. Secondly, it's a big ask to ask someone else to get in the middle of that, as an emergency service member potentially involved in rescue we are always taught to look after yourself first because there's no point having an extra casualty if you couldn't have done anything to help anyway and thirdly the film as others have pointed out is valuable evidence, it's not filming that is wrong it is what you do with the film, we are also asked that if we stop to assist in an emergency and need to move things that might be considered evidence later that we photograph or film and were told that it is also worth doing as a member of the public. If you hand those images over to police as evidence you have done nothing wrong, what is dodgy is when people think it's ok to share these images on things like youtube for notoriety.

I hope those who were supposedly "in control" of the dogs (supposedly taking them for a walk) are prosecuted as well...

Seriously though, it's kinda funny how many of us are saying that they wouldn't try to assist for fear of themselves being injured... I wonder how many of us would feel the same about others witnessing one of us being attacked like this and not trying to help?

Much as I'd hate to bear the brunt of a well aimed AmStaff bite (or a few bites) - I simply couldn't stand by and just "witness" another human being taking that sort of attack from FOUR large AmStaffs... if I could divert the attention of even ONE of them, that would be better than standing by, filming it on my phone, and essentially letting it carry on.

T.

I agree T, I would feel compelled to assist though I can understand others being too frightened, esspecially if they don't have any experience with dogs.

If this were a child or an elderly person, a small female or youngster it probably would have been disaster.

I have lost count how many times I have heard strangers have assisted people and dogs in this position and saved their lives. I don't think anyone can blame the son, though I have no sound on my PC :(

I do think the video is helpful for the police.

I would like to point out that those must be some huge AmStaffs. The son said his father is tall.. Well those dogs must actually range in that mystical 50 kg range then, because they look like miniature ponies!

Don't really have a comment on the not helping bit. I don't know if I would or not but would like to think that I would. Surely four people could be found, each to grab a dog. The dogs did not appear in a frenzy to me or that man would be dead. They were baiting him, as somebody else said. He is lucky he behaved as he did but at this level they were not in a mindless blood frenzy and it should have been possible for people to calmly approach them and restrain them as is evidenced by the security guard grabbing one and walking him away and the others following.

I hope the owners are found and prosecuted over this. Just goes to show what a pack of dogs, even if they are unknown to each other (since one was supposedly being walked and then joined in) are capable of. The owner who was walking their dog definitely does not need to own this dog, they are obviously unable to control it at all...

Edited by BlackJaq

Firstly there's no point 20 separate people all calling the police at once, there is a reasonable chance that someone was attempting to call for help even if others were filming. Secondly, it's a big ask to ask someone else to get in the middle of that, as an emergency service member potentially involved in rescue we are always taught to look after yourself first because there's no point having an extra casualty if you couldn't have done anything to help anyway and thirdly the film as others have pointed out is valuable evidence, it's not filming that is wrong it is what you do with the film, we are also asked that if we stop to assist in an emergency and need to move things that might be considered evidence later that we photograph or film and were told that it is also worth doing as a member of the public. If you hand those images over to police as evidence you have done nothing wrong, what is dodgy is when people think it's ok to share these images on things like youtube for notoriety.

Better 20 calls then none, all thinking someone else has though........dreadful to see, that poor man.

I would like to point out that those must be some huge AmStaffs. The son said his father is tall.. Well those dogs must actually range in that mystical 50 kg range then, because they look like miniature ponies!

Don't really have a comment on the not helping bit. I don't know if I would or not but would like to think that I would. Surely four people could be found, each to grab a dog. The dogs did not appear in a frenzy to me or that man would be dead. They were baiting him, as somebody else said. He is lucky he behaved as he did but at this level they were not in a mindless blood frenzy and it should have been possible for people to calmly approach them and restrain them as is evidenced by the security guard grabbing one and walking him away and the others following.

I hope the owners are found and prosecuted over this. Just goes to show what a pack of dogs, even if they are unknown to each other (since one was supposedly being walked and then joined in) are capable of. The owner who was walking their dog definitely does not need to own this dog, they are obviously unable to control it at all...

I have seen dogs whose owners tell me straight to my eye, are staffordshire bull terriers that come to my knee at the shoulder. I know they are either lying or duped by the puppy seller.

I've never seen dogs attacking people before and watching that footage it isn't how I expected them to do it. I imagined there'd be more fast grabbing and shaking, but those dogs almost appeared as if they were playing. I dont for a minute think they were, I know the poor man suffered serious injuries, but the way one would tug a bit and then let go, it was strange, well it was to me, as I said, not how I imagined a dog attack. It would take a long time to die from being mauled the way he was, a slow painful death.

Yea, that was the impression I also had Krislin, I just didn't want to say "they looked like they were playing" :p

The picture of his injuries does not look very serious to me, I have seen a sheep disembowled by dogs before, and it took about 30 seconds for that to happen. I can not imagine that the dogs were too serious at this stage. Still unacceptable, obviously, just makes the onlookers seem more cowardly rather than rightfully concerned for their own safety in my eyes.

I'm trying to imagine what I would have done in that situation. I might have been too scared to get out of the car, I dont know, I think I would have driven the car up onto the foot path honking my horn, and tried to get close enough to scare the dogs and hopefully allow the man to get into the car, but who knows. I hope I'm never in such a situation to test it.

Firstly there's no point 20 separate people all calling the police at once

So everyone should "assume" someone else has called the police?

Is this the offical stance of emergency services....hope someone else calls the authorities?