When To Stop Locking A Pup Up At Night

Leela and PJ

I've been wondering about this too. My boy is 5 months old and varies between being crated at night and sleeping outside (he has a covered kennel in the backyard that he loves). When he's in the crate he sleeps in the lounge room as has been sleeping through the night (about 9pm-7/8am) since about 9 weeks. He generally is good with toileting but can get himself into things he shouldn't. I'm thinking of puppy proofing my bedroom and letting him sleep in my room. Not sure if he's ready or not. I have wood floors so if I shut all the other doors he'll only have access to my room and the hall so can't get into too much trouble... :S Should I try leaving him in a very safe room (like the laundry) first?

My boy is in a very large crate (big enough for when he is full grown and we need to car travel with him) with an extension and fake grass for when he sleeps at night, this is in our room, he hasn't used the fake grass yet and prefers to hold his business till we wake up, he calls to me about 6am which is good as this is when I get up anyway and I take him outside for his morning business, if he continues to do this for another month I might have him free roam sleeping in the bedroom.

Koda is an outside dog during the day, I have erected compost fences on the sidings of my house so he cannot get near any gates but he has access to the whole yard, we have 2m high wooden fences with no cross beams showing on the outside, a kennel and also a covered area for shelter is provided, as well as lots of toys and bones to chew on during the day.

When we are home from work he has access to both areas and choices himself where he wants to be, if inside though he is being taught its quiet time and relaxed time, if he wants to play we go outside.

Edited by JackC

My Belgian Shepherd Puppy is nearly 10 months old but she is locked in a run when I am not home and is locked in her crate at night. My 3 year old White Shepherd is out all the time except for at night when she is also locked in the crate. Both girls enjoy their crate time at night and their crates are also where they get fed. I don't feel guilty putting my dogs into crates at night as it keeps them safe and they sleep through the night except for waking me if they have to go to the toilet. My mum started out not liking the idea of the dogs locked in the crates but even she found that they were more obedient and they would happily go in the crate.

I personally think crating is a personal choice. when you feel that your dog is ready to be allowed out of the crate unattended or at night that is up to you. I personally am glad that I have no worries about what my dogs are doing and they do enjoy it. plus all my training starts in the crates.