Breeders Prefix

Katie P

Since all owners of a bitch have to be joint owners of the prefix used when pups are registered I would say yes :) Bit hard for dogs co-owned with an interstate breeder otherwise unless they expect you to transfer the dog to one of the other for the litter.

A friend of mine has a son living in Brisbane & he & his son wanted to share the same prefix. He's been told by Dogs NSW as they live in different states they have to have different ones as they both belong to different CC's.

A friend of mine has a son living in Brisbane & he & his son wanted to share the same prefix. He's been told by Dogs NSW as they live in different states they have to have different ones as they both belong to different CC's.

But you can be a member of as many state CCs as you want to. I was a member of Vic for many years because I lived in Albury when I first started in purebred dogs and showed in both states so needed both journals. I was also still partners in a prefix with someone when they moved to the ACT. The prefix was still in NSW and registered to my address but the other partner lived in the ACT and retained her NSW membership as well. Most people who live in the ACT are also members in NSW.

Do not believe anything told to you by Dogs NSW! You can have a prefix jointly owned by members in different states (mine is). The prefix only needs to be registered in one state, but can be registered in both if you wish. The bitches need to be registered under the joint membership number which you will receive once the prefix is approved or transferred to joint ownership. Then when litters are born, if the prefix is owned in only one state the litter is registered in the state that the prefix is registered, if the prefix is registered in multiple states then the litter must be registered in the state in which they were born.

So for my sister & I, our prefix is registered in the ACT, all the bitches are registered as being owned by our joint membership & all litters are registered in the ACT.

The regulations relating to jointly owned prefixes are covered by the ANKC regulations.

But if you live in seperate states you do have to have registration with both as puppies will not all be born in the one state if that makes sense?

No, if you register a prefix in NSW and have bitches registered to you here, then put them all in dual names with say someone who lives in Vic, then they have to be a member of Dogs Vic as their home state and Dogs NSW as well. All puppies registered to the NSW prefix are then registered in NSW.

Yes the bitches have to be in the same membership as the prefix, exactly the same as if only one person owned the prefix. They also need to be registered in the state that the prefix is registered.

The prefix does not need to be registered in both states & the people only need to be a member in the state in which they reside. The prefix doesn't need to be registered in both states but it can be if you choose to (although I'm not sure why you would as there's no benefit to it just extra expense!).

For litter registrations, the litter is registered in the state in which the prefix is held (regardless of where it's born) unless the prefix is registered in both states, if it is, the litter must be registered in the state in which it was born.

Hope that clarifies :-) I've had my joint prefix for 10 years now & haven't had any problems, prefix registered in the ACT other member residing in NSW. However, I am aware of someone who has had huge difficulties with Dogs NSW when the joint prefix was registered in NSW, so I would recommend that your friend avoid registering the prefix in NSW if they can avoid it.