Looking At A Small To Medium Size Dog

Hi everyone, a friend of mine is getting older & has a large dog, but for the next dog would like a medium to small size dog (preferably a short coat) she has had 2 rhodesian ridgebacks before but would like something smaller next time. Any ideas of what dogs to research? Thanks Ridgiemum.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi everyone, a friend of mine is getting older & has a large dog, but for the next dog would like a medium to small size dog (preferably a short coat) she has had 2 rhodesian ridgebacks before but would like something smaller next time. Any ideas of what dogs to research? Thanks Ridgiemum.

Beagle??

Cardigan Corgi (the small-medium dog to be having when you're not having a Tibetan Spaniel :) )

Sensible, good natured, all rounder. Great housedog ... but great playing in the garden and going for walks.

post-3304-0-41792300-1367819778_thumb.jpeg

So many more things to consider than just size:

* Temperament? People focussed? Or more aloof/independent?

* Trainabiiity? How important is an easy to train dog?

* Activity Level? An energiser bunny or a more laid back breed?

* Inside or outside dog?

* Exercise levels? How much exercise will the dog get?

I know a few RR folk who also have Whippets and that seems to be a good mix but your friend needs to think about other issues too. No point recommending Whippets if this is to be an outside dog though. However if your friend is a "hound person", most other breeds might not suit.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Guest Maeby Fünke

A Pug!

Your friend will need to vaccuum regularly, though, because they shed like the blazes... You'd be amazed at how much hair one little Pug can make!

Edited by Maeby Fünke

SCHIPPERKE

Hi Rusty & Bucket, can you please talk to my dog Fleur and tell her that she isn't supposed to be a lap dog or a cuddly dog!

She loves to sit on OH's lap and have her belly rubbed until she falls asleep.

Schipps are smart, shed once a year maybe twice. Can self exercise themselves.

Any other questions just ask me.

BB

* Inside or outside dog?

I know a few RR folk who also have Whippets and that seems to be a good mix but your friend needs to think about other issues too. No point recommending Whippets if this is to be an outside dog though. However if your friend is a "hound person", most other breeds might not suit.

Hope I am not being OT but my situation was similar to that in the OP. Before I got my little terrier schnauzer working dog mix (which was not what I was looking for but I fell in love with her instantly) I was also looking for a small to medium short coated dog for me, an older person, who, having owned boxers all my life, was now looking for a smaller dog and I could not find a suitable breed.

In answer to HW's extra criteria I was looking for a people focussed temperament, trainable. medium activity level, inside dog, and daily walk of about 30 minutes ie the sort of dog that would suit an elderly ex big dog person who doesn't really like small dogs as I suspect would also be the situation for the person referred to in the OP.

I would be interested if anyone could suggest a suitable breed and one that is reasonably common and available, not something exotic.

* Inside or outside dog?

Hope I am not being OT but my situation was similar to that in the OP. Before I got my little terrier schnauzer working dog mix (which was not what I was looking for but I fell in love with her instantly) I was also looking for a small to medium short coated dog for me, an older person, who, having owned boxers all my life, was now looking for a smaller dog and I could not find a suitable breed.

In answer to HW's extra criteria I was looking for a people focussed temperament, trainable. medium activity level, inside dog, and daily walk of about 30 minutes ie the sort of dog that would suit an elderly ex big dog person who doesn't really like small dogs as I suspect would also be the situation for the person referred to in the OP.

I would be interested if anyone could suggest a suitable breed and one that is reasonably common and available, not something exotic.

Boston Terrier (not rare but not common), or Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

Edited by Haredown Whippets