Basket Of Puppies

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Maeby Fünke

I've never seen the show but the ads look bad enough. I would try to talk your friend out of the whole idea.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

The best we can do is try to influence the show in a positive manner as opposed to calling it awful and calling the host an idiot etc.

You guys really need to come to terms with the fact that not everyone is well educated in the context of pets and yes, people do exist outside our little DOL bubble.

Maybe Lorem can have a positive influence by facilitating the provision of 'a basket of puppies'. Best of luck with the idea, it has great potential if run well. :)

The best we can do is try to influence the show in a positive manner as opposed to calling it awful and calling the host an idiot etc.

You guys really need to come to terms with the fact that not everyone is well educated in the context of pets and yes, people do exist outside our little DOL bubble.

Maybe Lorem can have a positive influence by facilitating the provision of 'a basket of puppies'. Best of luck with the idea, it has great potential if run well. :)

Yes.

They are flippant and know exactly what they're saying ...it brings RATINGS!! people will watch if there is a chance of some sort of titillating action/comments ...

I have watched the show once ....

I wasn't criticising the show, or the host, *because* of the 'basket of puppies' idea... The show seems bad enough in its own right and the host has a reputation for making irresponsible comments. And I think it's perfectly normal and valid for DOLers to have a strong reaction to the idea... I'm a bit surprised by your reply, to be honest; you sound a bit naive.

The producers, including Lorem's friend, know exactly what they're doing. And if she was my friend, I would be completely honest with her about how stupid and irresponsible an idea it is :mad That is the first time I have ever used a mad face on DOL.

It is fine to have a strong reaction to the idea, but it is another thing to venture off on a tangent about how bad the show is or how bad the host is etc. If you are unhappy about something, the best you can do is to try and influence it in a positive manner in the hope of rectifying the wrongs that you appear to have observed. Lorem and her friend are potentially that very influence.

Please note, that my comment was not aimed at yourself specifically, I was making a general comment about the omnipresent DOL bubble. You seem to have taken it personally, please don't. :)

Guest Maeby Fünke

Sorry DR, I have edited my posts because I don't think I have expressed myself very well.

Yes, I agree... I think it was a very good, positive and sensible thing that Lorem approached the DOL brain's trust about her friend's idea :D

eta

Looking back, I'm not sure why I responded the way I did... The 'basket of puppies' idea must must have been an emotional hook for me.

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Sorry DR, I have edited my posts because I don't think I have expressed myself very well.

Yes, I agree... I think it was a very good, positive and sensible thing that Lorem approached the DOL brain's trust about her friend's idea :D

eta

Looking back, I'm not sure why I responded the way I did... The 'basket of puppies' idea must must have been an emotional hook for me.

I thought your response was perfectly reasonable MF. What is naive IMO is thinking that this show will have any positive impact on how their audience views the puppy trade going on past performance and the personality of the host.

Guest Maeby Fünke

eta

I thought your response was perfectly reasonable MF. What is naive IMO is thinking that this show will have any positive impact on how their audience views the puppy trade going on past performance and the personality of the host.

I was worried that it would come across like I was bagging Lorem (which I wasn't).

Agree. Particularly the point made about the DOL bubble. The reality is that the show is a representation of public opinion. Why not take an opportunity to influence that opinion? I hope a rescue or breeder grabs the opportunity and that the producer works a way in for some subtle promotion.

Agree. Particularly the point made about the DOL bubble. The reality is that the show is a representation of public opinion. Why not take an opportunity to influence that opinion? I hope a rescue or breeder grabs the opportunity and that the producer works a way in for some subtle promotion.

Let me stress that I am not bagging Lorem in the slightest; on the contrary, I am very glad this issue has been raised.

However, I am stating very strongly that I think the idea stinks LOL and I think the above posts are the naive ones :). Of course, I understand what you are saying, but the thing is to try to influence or educate you have to pick your arena. A show which cares only for ratings and has a presenter who doesn't seem to have much control over herself and just plays everything for laughs is not the place. Caveat: I am basing this on having seen but one short snippet of one show. But because I watch The Biggest Loser which is on before Can of Worms, I do see advertisements so there may have been a more considered approach to some issues, but going on some of the posts here from people who have seen more of it than it have, it doesn't seem so.

The DOL Bubble?? I have stated before in regards to Rescue that some people think everything that is happening in Rescue is on DOL when nothing can be further from the truth. However, this forum has thousands of members, many of whom register and are never seen again. But there are many who read and never post. I don't think DOL is a bubble.