Best Cars For Showing

Hi Everyone,

We are looking at adding getting a car that would be just for showing and would like to spent up to $8000.

Was thinking the following

2002/2003 Hyundai Santa Fe

2000 Subaru Outback Wagon

2002 Vectra Wagon

Any suggestions also feedback on the above would be great. We live rurally so would be around 400km plus to most shows so would like something to be fuel efficient. Also for toy breeds (IG).

TIA

Edited by whippytails

If you have a fast breed, a scooter, motorbike or quadbike would be better in the ring :laugh:

Seriously though, another vote for Subaru. Used to own a Vectra and wouldn't want to do that many k's in it. Friend owns a Santa Fe and the motor cuts out for no reason. Has been back to dealer but they aren't interested as it's never done it to them. Also, parts are expensive. All my friends with Subaru's rave about them and it would be my choice if I didn't need the 4wd due to location.

Subaru parts can be expensive, my mechanic wouldn't touch Vectra with barge pole so I'd be going the Santa Fe.

I had a 2000 Liberty and was a dream to drive but when parts needing replacing it cost a bomb! Had a Holden Viva wag on, absolute gutless piece of crap and computer went just after warranty ran out. Had a 2003 Hyundai Get and it was such a great little car - that's my experience with each of the brands you've mentioned :-)

I second SW on the Subaru - great car but when things start need fixing it can cost a bomb. I upgraded my Forester to a Nissan X-Trail and the services/repairs are by far cheaper! Not sure if that would be in your price range though.

Just recently traded my Holden Cruze for a Holden Sportswagon!

Such a dream and cheap for me to run, and heaps of space for a small wagon! Just all I need, especially when we do our country shows!

When you put the seat down in the back, you get an extra 30cm of space along the back, which is great and can easily fit 3 crates in the back on the back seat!

Edited: Just realised you have Toy Breeds, we have toy breeds as well.

Edited by Tambaqui

To be honest, the BEST dog showing car I have ever had is a 1997 Toyota Camry Wagon. Plenty of room with seats up or down. The aircon is the BOMB! And super-duper economical on fuel!!!!!

Next best was my EL Falcon Wagon. Heaps of room, super comfortable for man and beast BUT would go past everything except a petrol pump.

I have a Hyundai Santa Fe which I love, I choose that for showing & camping after my Ford Wagon was put to pasture!

Its great.....but I also upgraded my show trolley.....which I should have measured BEFORE I spent the money.....about 6cms too wide for the back & the dogs sit on the back seats!!!!....so I wrestle it in behind the front seats. :D

So our second car become a Holden adventurer which is awesome for all the show crap & more than 2 dogs & 2 kids!!! But doubt you could get for less than 8K

Edited by Poodle Mum

I did look at adventurer but didnt think I would find one in my price. Poodlemum can I ask you the dimensions on your boot on the Santa Fe at the narrowest if possible? I havent bought a trolley yet so will need to think about that as well.

I have a 2.4m gazebo so think that should fit in my boots/footwell.

Seems like it will be alot of measuring or taking things to car yards lol

I did look at adventurer but didnt think I would find one in my price. Poodlemum can I ask you the dimensions on your boot on the Santa Fe at the narrowest if possible? I havent bought a trolley yet so will need to think about that as well.

No probs whippytails....will measure in the morning. Am pretty sure the 2.4m gazebo fits as I had one before my 2 human boys trashed it on a weekend away! They didn't use the guy ropes, only the pegs & the gazebo was buckled over in the wind.. :( .....So I went the cheaper option at Bunnings 3x3m only to realise it doesn't collapse down as much as Oz trail ones :doh: ......now its a wrestling match!

We were told we got the cheapest adventurer in Oz.....its great, but much "heavier" driving than my Santa Fe... plus I love having another manual!

I still have some time to car shop as I wont be purchasing until Sept but thought if I had a shortlist and gave them all a test drive then when I find one that fits my needs I will be able to purchase hopefully hassle free.

Bugger about the kids and the gazebo, I have used mine for lots of things and love it :)

Although it's not on your list and may not be suitable depending on the roads you are driving on, but I love my Honda Jazz.

I can fit a compact gazebo, 2 x trolleys, 2x chairs, gazebo mats & sides, grooming kit, trolley mats etc in the boot. The backseat fits 3 x PP30's side by side. :)

Cheap to run, easy to use during the week (parking, u-turns etc)

I Love my Paj as dog car but I think that would be out of the price range.

When we went shopping I took everything I needed for a weekend away except the dogs, if the car yard wasn't happy to let me test the cars I looked at they lost my business, 99% of them were fine and even helped me try and fit it all in :D