Your Preferred Flea/tick Treatment

Just wondering what everyone's preferred preventative for fleas and ticks is? Is there anything other than advantix or frontline as my kelpie seems to have a reaction to the advantix and the frontline gets a bad rap around here so not sure it's worth spending money on it. I've been using the advantix on the basset and putting it on the kelpie if we are going somewhere with a very large risk of ticks but I can't use it on her all the time as she gets quite upset over it.

I'm also trying to work out what to use on the cat for fleas if anyone has any suggestions on the feline side of things..

Guest Maeby Fünke

Edited because I didn't realise, at first, that you were talking about ticks as well...

We don't get any ticks here :)

Edited by Maeby Fünke

Just wondering what everyone's preferred preventative for fleas and ticks is? Is there anything other than advantix or frontline as my kelpie seems to have a reaction to the advantix and the frontline gets a bad rap around here so not sure it's worth spending money on it. I've been using the advantix on the basset and putting it on the kelpie if we are going somewhere with a very large risk of ticks but I can't use it on her all the time as she gets quite upset over it.

I'm also trying to work out what to use on the cat for fleas if anyone has any suggestions on the feline side of things..

I wouldn't keep using it if it is effecting her badly. Have you tried the Frontline on her - it is worth a try. Have you looked at using a collar at all?

I think it irritates her skin somehow, she gets quite agitated and when we were using it every two weeks she was quite upset all the time and would snap at our other dog any time she came near, etc. We stopped using it and she became our happy girl again. It's obvious she doesn't like it because if she sees a pipette now she will run and hide in the yard and not be called over.

Just to be clear, up until now I have only used it occasionally as I didn't feel there was another GOOD option. Her being slightly irritated and grumpy for a few days is preferable to death because I missed a tick when checking her. I pulled four ticks off myself the other day and I'm not covered in fur to make them hard to find.

Has anyone used Permethrin concentrate made up in a spray bottle for ticks? It says on the bottle to spray weekly for ticks, just wondering how effective it would be. I thought maybe I could make a bottle up and keep it with the leads and give her a spray when we are heading out for a walk 'offroad'

i'm sorry I can't offer any advice concerning ticks --- I don't live in a tick prone area so I wish you very much the best of luck...

during the warmer months [say nov to april], I treat my dogs with comfortis [for fleas] and interceptor spectrum [for worms, including heartworm]; during the colder part of the year [may thru to sept depending], I drop the comfortis and treat my dogs with sentinel spectrum which deals with adult fleas and takes care of the usual wormage.

Tick collars, and Permoxin, which you dilute in water and spray on the dog weekly.

I think permoxin is one of the ingredients of Advantix, so maybe try it on a small spot first? Also check Advantix pack to see whether Permoxin is in it

If you think she is reacting to as advantix then I would not ever touch it agin, nor use permoxin. Allergic reactions often get worse each time.Frontline spray. Top spot is useless, spray much better but not cost effective.

To be honest I just can't afford the frontline spray. I use a third of a bottle every time I treat her because of her size and I have to do her every two weeks. It costs me a fortune that way. :(

I am willing to trial the permoxin as there are two other ingredients in Advantix that may be at fault and her reaction isn't large enough for me to be concerned enough to not try it.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Yep, Advantix is permoxin, it's the ingredient that messes cats up. I can buy permoxin liquid so I'm thinking that might be the go as long as that isn't the ingredient that messes the kelpie up too :)

Advantix has 2 active ingredients, Imidicloprid and PERMETHRIN not Permoxin.

Permoxin is a product (brand name) that contains Permethrins.

Permethrins are not suitable for use on cats. Cats cannot metabolize permethrins.

Best available FLEA treatment is Comfortis. I am in a bad tick area,I use Comfortis monthly for fleas and Frontline SPRAY every 3 weeks for ticks.I also frontline spray my cats. I found the top spots not very effective with fleas . There is a new tick collar now available called Scalibor - it lasts 3 mths and can be used from 8 weeks of age, but only for use on dogs.

I think it irritates her skin somehow, she gets quite agitated and when we were using it every two weeks she was quite upset all the time and would snap at our other dog any time she came near, etc. We stopped using it and she became our happy girl again. It's obvious she doesn't like it because if she sees a pipette now she will run and hide in the yard and not be called over.

Some dogs show signs of agitation when topical products are applied and it can be due to the sensation they feel while the product is disseminating to the lipid layer of skin where it needs to be to be effective. The feeling a dog can get is likened to "someone walking over your grave" or tingling, pins and needles, or a cold breeze reaction and is not painful at all. Some dogs cannot understand this feeling and react strangely. Some dogs/cats soon relate it to the packet being produced and/or the owners mindset that the product application is "altering" their dogs behaviour somehow. If there are no physical signs or side effects visible then maybe your dog is reacting to this foreign sensation. I know one of our dogs likes to roll, twitch and be a touch restless for a short period of time after application (sometimes an hour or so) and we are fascinated just watching and observing her reactions (there is no pain involved whatsoever). I now take her walking after applying to distract her during this time.

Humans reactions to the "ohh someone just walked over my grave" experience are equally interesting to watch. I hope this helps.