Should I Be Worried?

RubyBlue

Found some raw chicken buried at the dog park this morning. Or more accurately my dog found it. I don't think he ate any but I will be watching him very closely to be on the safe side.

I gathered up all the pieces I could find and now have it sitting in my fridge. Any ideas what I should do next?

How was it buried? Sometimes people will do that to occupy their dogs. Watch your dog carefully, and get it tested at the vet if you're worried. If you find anything then take the test results to the local council that control the park

Whether you should be worried or not, you will be :) . Keep a very close eye on your dog and as MUP says.

This. :)

Keep the meat just in case and if you take the dog to the vet take it with you so they can look at it.

Thanks guys. So far he seems completely fine. This was at a dedicated fully fenced dog park that is nearly always busy. The chicken looks like wing tips and was buried just under the surface of some loose soil/tambark. There is a bin nearby. It just doesnt seem like something a dog owner would do.

I called the council and they said theyd send someone to look incase there was more but unless dogs start getting sick they're not interested in testing the meat and told me to chuck it out....Ill freeze it for at least a short while I think.

buried wingtips .... that's what is used here to bait foxes .it is laced with 1080 ..and buried just under the surface to deter birds from taking it.

I hope you have it/them double/triple wrapped , totally drip proof ..and are handling with gloves. there is no way i would have put it in my fridge :o

if it was 10 80 and your dog ate any he would probably have shown violent symptoms very soon after .

Could you phone Werribee Vet Hospital or someone perhaps and ask ? .. or maybe National Parks /wildlife orgs ..or ...RSPCA. I feel it should be tested . IF someone is doing this it could be nasty.

The other thing.. a dog may have thrown up its breakfast, and owner kicked tanbark over the mess ? .....

worrying .....

I live in a very suburban area. Id be surprised if anyone could get 1080 here. Plus dog is thankfully not violently ill. Im more worried about warfarin or some type of rat poison. You can buy it at the local supermarket. Already had to deal with this at the beginning of the year...and the local councils use it for rabbits and foxes in westerfolds park.

The chicken didnt look like it had been thrown up.

How bad is 1080? Its been in my fridge all day.... :/

I worked for parks vic and private wildlife reserves in suburban Melbourne and I can tell you that it is used in some surprisingly suburban areas where there is reasonable security from pet animals. It all seems a little suss to me too, I would be inclined to see if someone will test it for you.

I'd avoid the park for now too just in case.

It could have been some training bits someone had leftover and threw on the ground, could have been covered by a bird or something.

Having said that if it's what is commonly used for baiting just be careful.

If you think there's any chance he ingested some, run an activated clotting time in a couple of days. :)

Pindone is used in the greater Manningham area, I'm fairly sure there would be no 1080 around here - too risky to humans.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

If the council is using baits I thought they had to put warning signs up near the areas?

I was looking at our local council the other day and found all the areas currently baited on a map on their website. In the information it also said warning signs where/would be placed around the sites.

You'd think council would not put bait out in a dog park... Nobody is that stupid

ETA: Baits can easily be moved though and are available to people who did the short course as far as I am aware. I guess it depends if the chicken is baited and if o with what. 1080 is fox bait commonly used but rat sack or similar would probably work, too and anybody can buy it

I would get it tested for peace of mind. Even if your dog did not get any, whoever put it out might put out more

Edited by BlackJaq

could be training treats :)

The cynic in me always thinks of those who really dislike dogs ..and can access various poisons ....and then bait doggy areas

There are certainly those types around Pers - not an unreasonable thought. :)

Yep I am a tried and true cynic as well - that was my first thought. I hope your boy is okay and it is nothing sinister.

So any ideas where to get it tested? The council said it was expensive to get done so wouldnt do it unless dogs started getting sick.

Might be worth contacting a University in your area? They may be able to test it for you?

One of the puppies from my last litter died early last year from fox bait poisoning :cry:

Her owner was out walking her in their suburban st & she picked up something from the nature strip & ate it swallowed it quickly before her owner could do anything about it.

A couple of hours later she became violently ill & they rushed her to the vet. The vet did everything possible, but she died 2 days later :cry: She was only 9 months old :(

Apparantly there was an animal hater in the community planting 1080 fox bait, in areas where dogs where being walked, & Skippy was the 1st of about 12 dogs that where poisoned & died :mad

They caught the person doing it, but my puppy owner said the identity of the person has not been revealed to the communtity!

So any ideas where to get it tested? The council said it was expensive to get done so wouldnt do it unless dogs started getting sick.

Might be worth contacting a University in your area? They may be able to test it for you?

I would ask at your vet's maybe?