Run Free Piper

piper

They say you get the dog you need not thedog you want. Piper is not the dog I was waiting for and then her breeder contactedme and said she had this pup that would be perfect for me. It turns out she wasright.

Anything I wanted to try, Piper tried.Anything I asked her to do, Piper did and did it well. As a baby we dabbled inshowing and she gained a baby in group, then her ears pricked. But that’s ok –they were part of who she was. We trialled in obedience and agility and shegained her CD, AD, JD titles, quickly and with good scores and fast times.

Somewhere along the line we got introducedto the world of herding and both fell in love. Not the most stylish of workers,she was very effective. She liked to work close but was soft enough that shedidn’t upset light stock but with pushy enough that heavy sheep moved. It wasvery rare for a sheep to try and stand her up. Piper participated in the firstinstinct test, herding test, pre-trial test, A course sheep trial, A courseducks trial, B course sheep trial and B course duck trials ever held in SouthAustralia. She was the first main register dog in SA to get a trial level titlein herding, the only dog in South Australia to have an advanced title on ducks,the first ANKC registered dog to gain a B course title in SA (in 3 consecutivetrials at the age of 10 and not having trained on trialled on sheep in severalyears). There is more, but I can’t remember it all right now. She ended hercareer 1 pass short of her Herding Champion title. A title she deserved andthat I know if we were in another state or able to get to more trials she wouldeasily have attained.

Ildanach Kennels is so named as it meansversatile and Piper showed me the versatility of the Border Collie. At thefirst Border Collie nationals she was the only dog to place in all performancearea on offer – herding, agility, jumping and obedience. But for the last barin agility she would have qualified in all as well. We went with noexpectations and left with 3 thirds and a fourth.

Thank you Piper, 12 years you wereeverything I could have wanted the most loyal dog in the world.

PiperHerding-15March162013_zps87e5991a.jpg

So very sorry for the loss of your lovely girl.

I too love the photo. She looks totally content.

What a willing, versitile BC she was.

R.I.P. Sweet girl.

Edited by BC Crazy

A lovely eulogy for an amazing dog!

It is a pity that they burn so brightly for such a short time.

But they light up our lives so well, and we are so much better off for the short time they spend with us.

ricey

Guest Clover

:cry: I am so sorry Piper. Your girl sure sounded like a wonderful friend and partner.

Rest easy pretty girl :rainbowbridge:.

I was Really sorry to hear about Piper. She was a beautiful girl, and one of my favourite dogs to see piccies ofon DOL. Take care of yourself, and cry as much as you need to.

Di