Run Free Piper

piper

Thanks everyone. The house still feels very empty :(

Been thinking of some of her funny quirks. She was very much a one person dog, she worked at a few pet expos and would sit for pats etc but always looking at me and only because I told her to. If I didn't tell her to she would side step away from them, not shy - just totally focussed on me. She didn't like other dogs in her space and I put it down to the fact that in her mind if she was out with me she was "working" - as a youngster it only happened on lead. Once we started agility the circle in which she would tell a dog to rack off grew to 10 or 15 meters - the same sort of distance that she would take commands at. Then we introduced herding, and well she could be over 100m away from me and take a command and the circle of reacting grew even more. She didn't want a fight and preferred to get out of the way, she just wanted to be left alone to continue focussing on me.

My husband and I have been together well over half of her life and yet right to the end if he got home before me she would not even enter the house until I got home. No matter how hot, cold or wet it was she would remain by the backdoor. I was oblivious to this for a long time as she would always greet me at the front door having come inside when she heard my car. The same happened if I went out without her and he stayed home - she would take herself outside and stay by the backdoor until I returned.

Right now I am missing sitting here with the laptop and dropping my arm to feel her head right next to my chair and in my reach :(

• 1 month later...

Not a day goes by where I don't think of you. Today was especially hard.

Today I had Jazz entered in advanced on ducks at the trial for the first time. You are the only other dog in the state to have been there. Today Jazz got your herding champ for you - I didn't think she was ready but she was runner up high in trial with that last pass over 85 that you needed. Brought me to tears when I saw what she had scored.

That 1 was for you Piper.

• 4 months later...

They say it gets easier with time. I'm still waiting.

Sitting on the coffee table next to me is the catalogue from the herding state champs held in August. There is a page in there dedicated to you, written by a friend. I still haven't ever opened the catalogue, I just can't do it.

• 6 months later...

1 year ago today you told us that it was time to say good bye. The night before you were a little quiet but I had no idea that 12 hours later we would need to say good bye.

I think of you all the time and it still hurts to say your name. Everywhere I go, everything I do with Jazz and Cinna I think about you and what you would have done, how you would have reacted how awesome you were. Cinna takes after you in so many ways, there is no reason she should but she does. Sometimes I look at her and think it is you and the pain is there when I realise it isn't you. Not enough time has passed for the wounds to be healed yet.

In some ways I think the first anniversary is almost as hard as the first few weeks after. I was so numb for months after Tip passed, and I see now was depressed.

When it came to the first anniversary it all hit me really har, and that is the experience I hear so often

Take the time to grieve all over again, hug your dogs a lot, and try to remember some of the better days when Piper was healthy and energetic.Be kind to yourself as you go through this.

Di

Thank you Piper, 12 years you wereeverything I could have wanted the most loyal dog in the world.

PiperHerding-15March162013_zps87e5991a.jpg

Those ears are just beautiful. They express her special look.

Your tribute is lovely. Expresses your bond so nicely.

I hope all the sheep at The Rainbow Bridge are in awe of you, Piper. They should be.

Be free, dear Piper.

:love: