Gnarla's Story

Those pictures just break my heart and makes me so mad. I hope you can take the matter further as these people should never own any other animals. I hope she makes a full recovery and goes into a loving home and all the pups can pull through.

I hope so too pattycake and I will be speaking with my boss in the morning re charges. :mad

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just putting this out there, i have no idea about pups, but is there any chance she will lay on them if she is not wanting to feed them, are they in danger by staying with her?

Thankfully she has not rolled onto any pups so far and we are sup feeding them every three hours and checking on her condition. The saddest thing is she is also not cleaning them or cleaning up after them either. I guess she is just too weak. I have been helping her out with this for the moment. I will keep an eye on her and try to ensure pups are not in any danger.

Cheryl if it is possible to do without upsetting her could you check how deep her chest is for me when you are next out there. I'm concious of the fact that her sizing might be a bit funny given her state and don't want to make anything too baggy on her. Rather than trying to get her chest circumference the length from her spine down her side to where the edge of the coat would sit will tell me half the total width for the coat.

Pups seem strong and are taking to the bottle at last. Mum ate some raw mince and we are crossing everything she can keep this down. She seems to be weeing ok now and all are hopeful signs. Each day seems like a week and progress is slow, but we will keep plugging away and maybe a phoenix will rise from the ashes soon - ish!!

Thank you to everyone who has helped with the vet bill. I am over the moon and your wonderful caring and donations have moved me to tears more than once today.

Hope all the mums had a very special day today - I know mine was made special with your help. Many thanks. Lets hope the next pic I post she will be standing and eating on her own!

Cheryl if it is possible to do without upsetting her could you check how deep her chest is for me when you are next out there. I'm concious of the fact that her sizing might be a bit funny given her state and don't want to make anything too baggy on her. Rather than trying to get her chest circumference the length from her spine down her side to where the edge of the coat would sit will tell me half the total width for the coat.

OK will do in the morning - I'll go put out the tape measure to remind me! Thanks again.

OMG how sad. :cry:

Thank God you found them when you did and thankyou to you & hubby for helping them Cheryl.

How anyone could keep any animal in those conditions and then abandon them like that is beyond me. :(

Hoping Gnarla feels better soon and that she & bubs thrive and go on to live long, happy lives. :crossfingers:

Eta; Although I am not in a position to donate financially atm, I'd be more than happy to bake and post Gnarla some home baked dog treats if that's ok?

Edited by k9angel

Would it be worth putting out a call for another mum to feed these pups and just let Gnarla heal herself? How stressful would it be for her to lose the puppies and have them raised elsewhere? Plus it might enable you to focus solely on Gnarla?

Just an idea as the health and survival risk for all of them still seems so high.

T I remember that girl. Sometimes I hate people when I see what they are capable of doing (or rather not doing). I just don't get it. Surely a hungry dog would cry and once starving would be looking visibly ill. How can sane human beings ignore this? How can neighbours or extended family or other visitors to such houses not notice? If I saw that going on in the yard next door to me I would become crazy lady and make their lives an absolute misery (after retrieving the dog of course). If they have money to drink and smoke, go out, buy new clothes, own a mobile phone or even hire dvd's then they have money to feed their dog and provide suitable shelter.

Thanks for the bank details, I have transferred a small donation tonight, I wish it could be more

I will be following her progress with interest, so please keep us updated we are here to support you and Gnarla xxx

She's probably not cleaning them because their waste doesn't taste right from the AB's she's taking - you are going to have to stimulate and clean them yourself before and after feeding methinks. A warm damp towel or facecloth will simulate her tongue.

Also, the fact that she has been desexed means that her hormones are all out of whack, and that will reduce milk production.

Go easy on what you feed her - if it's too rich, she may react badly to it. Can you cook up a large pot of rice with a couple of chicken stock cubes in it (for flavour) and see if she'll eat some small amounts of it to fill her a little? You could even mix ice cream through it for extra boost - dogs don't care about things we may find weird with food. You can also try Pedigree puppy tinned food - I haven't met too many dogs who will turn their noses up at that - mix it into some boiled rice and see if she'll take it.

The aim of the game is to try to up her milk production some, so she can feed her babies as much as she can - while also trying to put some weight on Gnarla. Lots of small meals is the trick.

Could she also be in pain from her surgery? Can the vet give you anything for that which is safe for her babies? My bottle of Meloxicam doesn't say anything about not giving to lactating animals...

Minnie - the girl I posted pics of - responded very well to all of the things I've posted here. We had her on a drip for the first 3 days and really thought she wouldn't make it at that point. She had 11 pups 4 days later, of which 3 survived - which was no mean feat, as we thought for sure they were all going to be dead. It was a lot of hard work, but the outcome was well worth it all for Minnie and her surviving babies. Minnie's weight on arrival with us was 29kgs (and a good portion of that was her babies in utero) - and when she left us, her weight was 65kgs, which was a perfect healthy weight for her size.

T.

Those pictures just break my heart and makes me so mad. I hope you can take the matter further as these people should never own any other animals. I hope she makes a full recovery and goes into a loving home and all the pups can pull through.

I hope so too pattycake and I will be speaking with my boss in the morning re charges. :mad

I couldn't read the story, but I can tell from people's response that it was very very bad.

More strength to you and your husband to get Gnarla and her pups through this and please please take it to the people with everything you have. :mad:mad:cry::cry: .

Donation made.

Go easy on what you feed her - if it's too rich, she may react badly to it. Can you cook up a large pot of rice with a couple of chicken stock cubes in it (for flavour) and see if she'll eat some small amounts of it to fill her a little? You could even mix ice cream through it for extra boost - dogs don't care about things we may find weird with food.

Could she also be in pain from her surgery? Can the vet give you anything for that which is safe for her babies? My bottle of Meloxicam doesn't say anything about not giving to lactating animals...

T.

Agree that dogs will happily eat weird combinations.

Also good idea to check with vet if she could have post-surgical pain that might be helped.

Meloxicam might be suss, tho'. Hasn't been rigorously evaluated with lactating animals. Also risky when the current health status is poor. So vet check critical.

See Precautions:

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=ed2227e6-8c69-4057-a8b2-94f74cb11264

I carnt stop thinking about this poor dog and pups, the previous owners need to be held responsible, they just carnt get away with this and then go and do it again and again

It takes courage, persistence and energy to pursue these sorts of people, and I hope Chera and husband will have all of that.

You will certainly get cyber support here.

Poor Gnarla and her bubs :( People make me sick sometimes...

Thank you for helping her - have made a sizeable donation to RADAR's account for her vet bills...please let us know on here if there is anything else she requires!

Go easy on what you feed her - if it's too rich, she may react badly to it. Can you cook up a large pot of rice with a couple of chicken stock cubes in it (for flavour) and see if she'll eat some small amounts of it to fill her a little? You could even mix ice cream through it for extra boost - dogs don't care about things we may find weird with food.

T.

Agree that dogs will happily eat weird combinations.

Also good idea to check with vet if she could have post-surgical pain that might be helped.

Meloxicam might be suss, tho'. Hasn't been rigorously evaluated with lactating animals. Also risky when the current health status is poor. So vet check critical.

See Precautions:

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=ed2227e6-8c69-4057-a8b2-94f74cb11264

Thank you for that mita... I'd always check with a vet before giving anything to a lactating bitch - you can't ever be too careful.

There's a comprehensive article by a vet on PetMd on how to care for an emaciated dog. Some things mentioned by other posters mentioned. But even more, of interest:

http://www.petmd.com/dog/nutrition/evr_dg_care_of_the_emaciated_dog?page=show#.UZA_Yxw_-yM

Of course, added demand on Gnarla is feeding her puppies.

Excellent reading material mita... and looks very similar to how we nursed our Minnie back to health. We did adjust a bit for added calcium intake due to her needing to nurse her babies too.

T.

my eyes are leaking reading Gnarla's story, I've just seen this.

Cheryl, you and hub are gems. I think I have met you before..? I transported 16 year old Bless... apologies if I have made the wrong connection..!

In any case - just want to see if you could use some puppy-sized coats for the pups? We have a bunch of pup sized ones we made at our recent workshop. Also happy to send some for other dogs you have in care, I just need some measurements (apx girth at the widest part, and the length of their back, ie. neck to base of tail). Not sure if we have any 50-55cm but can certainly take a look so it can supplement the one from kelpiecuddles.