Gnarla's Story

I just saw this. May bad karma and bubonic plague affect those who let this girl suffer so much.

Kudos to those helping.

Donation has been made.

Bubonic plague is far too kind. A disease that leaves them dependent on the kindness of others for all their physical needs for a very long time is my wish.

ETA Donation sent.

Edited by SchnauzerMax

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been thinking of you, mum and bubs all weekend. Hang in there matey - you are doing an amazing job! They only have a chance because of you and your hubby. Nothing but kudos and admiration from me for all you have done and are doing for them now.

While we can't help physically in anyway, know that we are all behind you every step of the way and are crossing everything we have for this poor little family to thrive so they get to experience the joys of a loving and caring home of their own one day.

Take care buddy.

[

Excellent reading material mita... and looks very similar to how we nursed our Minnie back to health. We did adjust a bit for added calcium intake due to her needing to nurse her babies too.

T.

Exactly. Sounded very familiar when I read it! You'd already made the same points. But adding extra calcium for baby feeding

OMG how sad. :cry:

Thank God you found them when you did and thankyou to you & hubby for helping them Cheryl.

How anyone could keep any animal in those conditions and then abandon them like that is beyond me. :(

Hoping Gnarla feels better soon and that she & bubs thrive and go on to live long, happy lives. :crossfingers:

Eta; Although I am not in a position to donate financially atm, I'd be more than happy to bake and post Gnarla some home baked dog treats if that's ok?

Thank you k9angel. I do hope she will eat them. She seems rather fond of raw meat at the moment and we are just giving her whatever she will eat most readily. She hasn't touched a tray of kibble that is near her bed. :(

She's probably not cleaning them because their waste doesn't taste right from the AB's she's taking - you are going to have to stimulate and clean them yourself before and after feeding methinks. A warm damp towel or facecloth will simulate her tongue.

Also, the fact that she has been desexed means that her hormones are all out of whack, and that will reduce milk production.

Go easy on what you feed her - if it's too rich, she may react badly to it. Can you cook up a large pot of rice with a couple of chicken stock cubes in it (for flavour) and see if she'll eat some small amounts of it to fill her a little? You could even mix ice cream through it for extra boost - dogs don't care about things we may find weird with food. You can also try Pedigree puppy tinned food - I haven't met too many dogs who will turn their noses up at that - mix it into some boiled rice and see if she'll take it.

The aim of the game is to try to up her milk production some, so she can feed her babies as much as she can - while also trying to put some weight on Gnarla. Lots of small meals is the trick.

Could she also be in pain from her surgery? Can the vet give you anything for that which is safe for her babies? My bottle of Meloxicam doesn't say anything about not giving to lactating animals...

Minnie - the girl I posted pics of - responded very well to all of the things I've posted here. We had her on a drip for the first 3 days and really thought she wouldn't make it at that point. She had 11 pups 4 days later, of which 3 survived - which was no mean feat, as we thought for sure they were all going to be dead. It was a lot of hard work, but the outcome was well worth it all for Minnie and her surviving babies. Minnie's weight on arrival with us was 29kgs (and a good portion of that was her babies in utero) - and when she left us, her weight was 65kgs, which was a perfect healthy weight for her size.

T.

Thank you T I wish she would eat cooked food. She just wants raw meat. I do feel that perhaps its what they had been feeding her before. Or maybe it just tastes good. She ate more steak tonight and I left her some sardines, kibble, steak and rissoles to go on with during the night, but after eating a small amount of steak she wasn't interested in anything more. I did try cooked meat and she was not keen. I cooked of some chicken and will try rice with it. I wish she would eat more but she wont. I am still supplementing the pups and all look healthy. I am also stimulating them to wee and poo at each feed. Poor girl looks so sad!

Does she fret when you take the pups away to feed them?

If she doesn't care perhaps you should just take them away, she could be really stressed about having to deal with them, and need time to relax and recover alone?

just random thoughts.

Have you tried giving her Buscopan for the pain? I was told to give it to my bitch, and it made a huge difference!

Also, we find that goats milk does wonders for both mum and pups. Better than formula if you are supplementing pups.

i'm making a donation now too help with your costs.

Gnarla and her pups are so lucky to have you and your hubby fighting for them.

Does she fret when you take the pups away to feed them?

If she doesn't care perhaps you should just take them away, she could be really stressed about having to deal with them, and need time to relax and recover alone?

just random thoughts.

She does fret a bit and this morning wouldn't move off the blankets so we could get to them underneath. Most times she hides away when we touch the pups. I really would like them to grow up with their mum but it may come to this if she doesn't get in some more milk. I wish I knew the right answer. If only she could talk.... :heart:

Edited by chezal58

Well Gnarla still seems very depressed, but she is letting the pups suckle and will take steak and mince when she is hand fed. She is still taking Antibiotics and I will see the vet about some calcium supplement for her tomorrow. She still has a way to go, but at least she is eating something. I hope she gets her appetite back soon as nothing would give me greater joy right now than to see her eating voraciously! Here are a few more pics.

post-34335-0-21024900-1368449689_thumb.jpg post-34335-0-35099500-1368449681_thumb.jpg post-34335-0-28221400-1368449708_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow I will try for pics of the pups. All boys - two blues, two brindles and a black with white chest. Cute chubby jelly beans!

That last picture is heartbreaking - poor girl does look like she may be in a bit of pain from her surgery - or depressed in some way. Please talk to your vet about safe pain relief for her... you may see a marked increase in her appetite and enthusiasm for survival. Getting more calcium into her will also see her perk up some.

Her condition is bad, but definitely looks recoverable - she has a bit more meat on her bones than our Minnie had... and if Minnie could come back from her condition, then Gnarla can/will too.

Seriously, try the Pedigree puppy tinned food... with or without flavoured rice... and maybe mix in some powdered calcium with it.

Have you tried offering her ice cream yet? And try some raw chicken wings if she has a preference for raw food - beef/lamb may still be a bit rich at this stage. Keep up the addition of Nutrigel and/or honey in her water.

Did you try offering her some of the puppy formula?

Apart from feeding herself, she is feeding pups, and as she's been desexed, her milk production will be much less than if she wasn't - more things like formula, calcium powder, or even a daily sub-cut shot of calcium will help her milk come in better. Thankfully she is only having to try to produce milk for 5 pups, so if you can get it to come in better, they will have a better start too.

How old would you say she might be?

T.

I agree with trying the tinned puppy food too, its smelly so she will be attracted to it.

I would be getting the vet to give her some more pain relief ,she looks really sad so something is hurting. :(

Lots of good advice here, but would like to suggest when I was vet nursing we used to try barbecue chicken, & sometimes tinned cat food to tempt reluctant feeders.

Sending strength & healing thoughts to you all at Narrandera!

Seriously, try the Pedigree puppy tinned food... with or without flavoured rice... and maybe mix in some powdered calcium with it.

Have you tried offering her ice cream yet? And try some raw chicken wings if she has a preference for raw food - beef/lamb may still be a bit rich at this stage. Keep up the addition of Nutrigel and/or honey in her wate

Yes, again. Seeing she likes raw mince, try mixing a little bit of the Pedigree tinned food in with it. The smell of the raw mince will still be strong. Then, over time, as that goes down OK, add a little more of the Pedigree.

My apologies if I'm repeating what you already know ... but keep to that regime of small meals frequently across 24 hours. The small meals can add up to a reasonable daily intake.

Another trick is to try to get highly nutritious sweet potato into her. Grate some, cook in the microwave & put some in the raw mince/Pedigree mix.

Edited by mita

That last picture is heartbreaking - poor girl does look like she may be in a bit of pain from her surgery - or depressed in some way. Please talk to your vet about safe pain relief for her... you may see a marked increase in her appetite and enthusiasm for survival. Getting more calcium into her will also see her perk up some.

Her condition is bad, but definitely looks recoverable - she has a bit more meat on her bones than our Minnie had... and if Minnie could come back from her condition, then Gnarla can/will too.

Have you tried offering her ice cream yet? And try some raw chicken wings if she has a preference for raw food - beef/lamb may still be a bit rich at this stage. Keep up the addition of Nutrigel and/or honey in her water.

Did you try offering her some of the puppy formula?

Apart from feeding herself, she is feeding pups, and as she's been desexed, her milk production will be much less than if she wasn't - more things like formula, calcium powder, or even a daily sub-cut shot of calcium will help her milk come in better. Thankfully she is only having to try to produce milk for 5 pups, so if you can get it to come in better, they will have a better start too.

How old would you say she might be?

T.

Agree with this - another vet visit seems in order.

Good luck with her - such suffering poor thing. :(

what a sad story and good on you for rescuing her and the puppies. I hope the ex-owner is tracked down and prosecuted for cruelty and neglect and slugged for costs of saving her and the puppies, as well as fines for (probably) unregistered dogs and abandoning them.

I hope she can recover and find a loving responsible home for the rest of her days.