Gnarla's Story

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy tears here...

Gnarla is absolutely gorgeous. She has the sweetest face and she is looking better and better with each update.

I love the pics of her with Jezzi and Rocco. So sweet. :heart:

Bubs are beautiful and are looking great too. :)

Great job Cheryl & hubby! You've made a huge difference already. :flower:

How old would you say Gnarla is? She is certainly looking younger with each photo you take... and she's deadly beautiful!

Loving your current name choices for the babies...

T.

Found out just yesterday that she has only had one other litter so I'm guessing, given their propensity to let her breed every cycle - she could be as young as 15 months or as "old" as two years. Also found out her first litter was 17 pups - but not sure how many survived. Poor baby. I'm glad she won't have to go through that again. Also have a pic of puppy's daddy from when he has been an inmate at our pound.

DUKE post-34335-0-07076000-1368912921_thumb.jpg

Guest Wildthing

WOW What a difference in the family and particularly Gnarla! Tears of joy here too. Country towns are good for some things! Someone can usually tell you the history of the dog and now even Dad is known to all of us. Hope he found a good home after being an inmate in the pound. Still wish I was there to give you all a big cuddle! Cheryl you and your hubby have done an amazing job - such dedication and determination to see them through this terrible situation successfully. Sending positive vibes to you and the canine family.

Seriously - she's only a baby herself... *sigh*

On the upside, her youth will be a big factor in her recovery - it's simnply amazing how the younger dogs can come back from something like this with very few issues.

It's lovely to see her with your 2 smalls - she seems like she's going to be a really great new family member for whoever is lucky enough to adopt her (when she's ready).

Can't wait until the babies have eyes... and when they start getting older and want to play and explore everything... you are seriously going to have your hands full then... lol!

May I suggest that when they get to about 3 weeks old (or when you can feel their teeth budding), that you start offering them slopped down puppy wet food? The sooner they only need Gnarla for comfort feeds, the better for her in the long run. I'm not suggesting weaning early or taking them away from her, just to introduce solids a little earlier than usual - if they will take to it.

T.

she's deadly beautiful!

T.

Couldn't have put it better! First update, I thought she'd grown pretty. But now.... she's a knockout.

I'm no help with the puppies' names. All I can think of is Lucky 1, Lucky 2, Lucky 3 etc. Lucky their mum came into your care.

PS I'm wondering about a more feminine name for Gnarla, too.

she's deadly beautiful!

T.

Couldn't have put it better! First update, I thought she'd grown pretty. But now.... she's a knockout.

I'm no help with the puppies' names. All I can think of is Lucky 1, Lucky 2, Lucky 3 etc. Lucky their mum came into your care.

PS I'm wondering about a more feminine name for Gnarla, too.

I've also been thinking she needs a 'nicer' name as she is so pretty..................what about Nala from the Lion King, would still sound the same for her, just looks nicer :)

You have both done a wonderful job and can't wait to see the pups grow.

Speaking of her name is the G silent?

I think it would be. I can't think of any word starting with Gn- where the 'g' isn't silent.

ADDED: Looked it up & found:

There are some ‘gn’ words from Greek; these preserve the /g/ when it follows a vowel (agnostic, anagnorosis), but not at the beginning of a word (gnostic, gnome).

Not suggesting it.... but seems if there were an 'A' starting her name, the 'g' would only then be pronounced.

Edited by mita

Speaking of her name is the G silent?

I think it would be. I can't think of any word starting with Gn- where the 'g' isn't silent.

ADDED: Looked it up & found:

There are some ‘gn’ words from Greek; these preserve the /g/ when it follows a vowel (agnostic, anagnorosis), but not at the beginning of a word (gnostic, gnome).

Not suggesting it.... but seems if there were an 'A' starting her name, the 'g' would only then be pronounced.

'gn' is common in Italian, eg gnocchi, lasagna :)

It is pronounced like a chewed 'ny' sound, like the 'ny' in canyon!

I assumed it was silent and probably just my spelling. It was meant to b Narla (as in Lion King) so that will do. I have info that says Narla is a Bull Mastiff X

Bullmastiff

Dog Breed

The Bullmastiff is a large breed of domestic dog. It has a solid build and a short muzzle. The Bullmastiff shares the characteristics of Molosser dogs, and was originally developed by 19th-century gamekeepers to guard estates. Wikipedia

Life span: 8 to 10 years

Origin: England

Temperament: Reserved, Reliable, Alert, Devoted, Docile, Calm, Loving, Loyal, Protective, Courageous, Powerful :thumbsup:

Height: Male: 64–68 cm, Female: 61–66 cm

Weight: Male: 50–59 kg, Female: 45–54 kg

Colors: Red, Fawn, Brindle

She is all of these and more. Here is a pic from today cleaning up after the babies and modelling her new coat from kelpiecuddles. Thank you so very much! She was not real sure but loved it once it was on.

post-34335-0-72899700-1369022489_thumb.jpg post-34335-0-53500100-1369022500_thumb.jpg

Edited by chezal58

Oh yay! I was so paranoid it wouldn't fit LOL. With her dimensions being all weird at the moment it just didn't look right :) Will that belly strap be long enough for a while? If it starts to get short on her send me a message and I can throw a little extender in the post for you.