Gnarla's Story

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful with the cabbage leaves - they can also help dry up the milk. Better to use a cool damp facecloth or the like to reduce the heat in the teat... but the best method is to strip the milk either manually or having the pups do it naturally.

T.

The cabbage leaves are mentioned in this article that's associated with the Amercan Kennel Club Health Foundation:

Cooked white cabbage leaves applied to the glands then wrapped with vet wrap for two hours is anecdotally reported to help draw out fluids and infection. The author has not used this therapy and no studies have been done in dogs and cats however a few promising studies have been done in women [5]. Unpublished anecdotal reports suggest it may help.

http://www.uskbtc.com/article.php/467

ADDED: I found a study which compared use of cold cabbage leaves and hot & cold compresses ... with women. Both worked similarly for the engorgement ... but the compresses worked better to relieve pain.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2763679/

Another study found both cold & room temperature cabbage leaves worked equally well with women:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7669238

Edited by mita

I was only joking about the cabbage leaves as I thought it was only for humans. Can't imagine a dog lying there happily with cabbage leaf boobies!

They love the cooling effect LG, and will happily take to them being applied.

The only problem is that the cabbage leaf compresses can dry up the milk... which, with 5 growing bubs, we don't need happening... err!

T.

The American Kennel Club-sourced article wasn't joking about using cabbage leaves with dogs...applied using vet wrap. They say there's anecdotal evidence so has been used with dogs.

But it's telling that study with humans showed hot & cold compresses worked as well ... & better for the pain.

They love the cooling effect LG, and will happily take to them being applied.

The only problem is that the cabbage leaf compresses can dry up the milk... which, with 5 growing bubs, we don't need happening... err!

T.

BabyMed site says the same as you, for humans:

.Use the cabbage leaves for about 2 days or until the engorgement gets better..

.If you use the cabbage leaves to decrease engorgement while breastfeeding, you need to be cautious with prolonged use, because it may decrease milk supply.

Hi everyone. Narla went to the vet yesterday and had her stitches removed. He said the hardening I could feel was too high up to be mastitis. He biopsied it and could find no abnormalities so I am watching it to see if it is getting bigger. Clayton also found some lessions on her thigh that he shaved and studied under a microscope. No sign of fungal growth but we are treating with topical anti fungal cream and more AB's. Poor girl she just can't cut a break!!post-34335-0-97279500-1369257151_thumb.jpg post-34335-0-36844000-1369257175_thumb.jpg

She was a very good girl Though!!

On the Up side - the wonderful Lexi from Belco Pets organised the Advance rep to donate 4 slabs of puppy food and 15kgs of dry!! Its already been delivered and Narla had some last night! Thanks Lexi and everyone - its because of your generosity I can get this girl the best care and food while she recovers from her ordeal!

Go Narla!

Hi everyone. Narla went to the vet yesterday and had her stitches removed. He said the hardening I could feel was too high up to be mastitis. He biopsied it and could find no abnormalities so I am watching it to see if it is getting bigger. Clayton also found some lessions on her thigh that he shaved and studied under a microscope. No sign of fungal growth but we are treating with topical anti fungal cream and more AB's. Poor girl she just can't cut a break!!post-34335-0-97279500-1369257151_thumb.jpg post-34335-0-36844000-1369257175_thumb.jpg

She was a very good girl Though!!

On the Up side - the wonderful Lexi from Belco Pets organised the Advance rep to donate 4 slabs of puppy food and 15kgs of dry!! Its already been delivered and Narla had some last night! Thanks Lexi and everyone - its because of your generosity I can get this girl the best care and food while she recovers from her ordeal!

Go Narla!

Thanks Belco Pets, you rock!! And a big thanks to chezal58 for doing such a great job looking after these gorgeous creatures, I'm sure you have some wonderful karma coming your way. Narla is a lovely looking girl and I hope she finds a fantastic forever home when she's all better. :thanks:

Does Australia have bugs that burrow into dogs skin, because if we do, that's the first thing I thought of when I saw those lesions. It wouldn't surprise me given the conditions she was enduring before you came along and saved her.

I hope you and hubby are hanging in there too - Narla clearly is. It can often be very stressful finding more and more things wrong with a save like this girl. You just have to trust in fate - she is in far better care with you than she was with her sucky owners and dogs live in the moment. She obviously knows she's safe and trusts you and all the procedures she is going through will be forgotten. Big hugs to all three of you and the pups!

All the things that Narla has been through may mean that her immune system isn't 100% yet - hoping the lumps are because of that, and as she gets stronger and healthier, they disappear by themselves...

Fingers crossed... and please PM me the name and contact phone number for Narla's vet so thatI can call them and donate something towards her care next week when I get paid, OK?

T.

Go Narla!

Poor Narla but I know she's getting the best of care.

Another thumbs up from me for Belco Pets - so suppportive of rescue and very knowledgeable about all matters canine, feline, avian etc. I wouldn't shop anywhere else for my pooches' needs!

Does Australia have bugs that burrow into dogs skin, because if we do, that's the first thing I thought of when I saw those lesions. It wouldn't surprise me given the conditions she was enduring before you came along and saved her.

You know my first thought was ringworm but we've ruled that out now - thank goodness. I now think like you that they are possible insect bites - like green ants or a spider perhaps - from the dirt where she whelped the pups. Thankfully they are all Ok. The vet (Mivet Narrandera)says definitely not bite wounds from another dog so we are scratching our heads and treating them twice a day. They aren't any worse so fingers crossed they get better with better nutrition and AB's!

Narla's spotty sores are healing well with the treatment. She had a bath today and judging by her timidity, I would say her very first bath ever. It needed doing and I am so glad she looks (and smells) so much better now. I have spent parts of today having puppy cuddles and enjoying the little ones. We have the names sorted out (except for the two brindles who are presently too much alike) and with the addition of coloured puppy collars we will eventually be able to identify them all. They had a spell in the warm sunshine today and were installed on clean bedding once again. Here are today's happy snaps....

Narla feeds the pups whilst other foster aunts and uncles look on-

post-34335-0-44083700-1369456511_thumb.jpg

Koda - the biggest and strongest pup

post-34335-0-57570100-1369456553_thumb.jpg