Gnarla's Story

Make sure that the AB's are broad spectrum, and the dosage is right for his size/weight.

T.

I would diasgree with this having had a dog with a long term, persistent cough. We tried different ABs, they would work for a while, then the cough would return. Having bitten the bullet for a chest X ray to have a look at the heart & lungs, the tube when withdrawn after the anaesthetic had some mucous attached. We sent this away for a culture & when put on the specific antibiotic to which the bacteria was sensitive, the dog fully recovered & the cough was banished forever!

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Harley, Mita, Danny's Darling & Raineth

Thank you all for your kind comments and further offers of assistance for Bazza & Cheza58

@ Cheza58

I apologize for not posting over the weekend, but as I previously mentioned in another thread, I am a proud guardian of 3 dogs (1 girl, 8.5 yo; 2 boys, 1 & 2 yo) and 3 cats (1 girl, 14 yo & 2 boys, 14 & 9 yo). And yes, they are all rescues.

I take my responsibilities towards my "kids" very seriously and walk my dogs religiously 3 times a day for 1.5 hours every time, rain or shine. My weekends are nearly entirely dedicated to fulfill my dogs (primarily my boys due to their young age) exercise requirements and by Sunday night I am truly exhausted. I have been a keen reader of Dollforums since 2009 despite only recently got myself registered and, due to my busy schedule, the only window available for online activity is after 10pm on weekdays.

I want to reiterate my offer and commitment to cover little Bazza's treatment costs. I believe any animal, regardless its breed or background, deserves a chance of a better life. Should you decide to accept my offer, I am happy to provide you with my contact numbers.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Dmayma

Hi Cheza58

I am not a veterinarian, but often, if you noticed something similar to bite wounds and there was a watery bloody discharge, it means there was some kind of trauma. Puppy bones are very soft and I am wondering that, perhaps, there is a small bone fragment puncturing the inside of this puppy's nasal cavity and therefore, causing an infection. If his lymph glands are swollen, it indicates his little body is actually fighting an infection.

If there is a bone fragment actually dislodged and continually puncturing his nasal cavity, the antibiotics will initially work, but the infection will surely return due to what is causing it be left untreated.

You are 100% correct in getting a second opinion. Is it really necessary to anesthetize a young puppy to get X-Rays from his snout?

I think it is wonderful what you did for Gnarla and her puppies. Sadly I don't live close to you, but would like to help you and Bazza. Would you please book an appointment with a second veterinarian (the best you can find) and have little Bazza's face X-Rayed straight away? I'll cover the full cost.

Thank you so much Dmayma. I would do exactly that but Bazza has improved out of sight since completing the second dose of AB's. He isn't snuffling and is catching up to the other pups in size and weight. It is so rewarding to see him flourishing once again. I will check him out fully when I am not working on Thursday and will do exactly what you suggest if I am even slightly unsure that he has healed. I know you say it can return but I do not want to rush into more expense if it was something that just needed a little time to heal properly. I'm so glad I didn't let the vet put him to sleep - poor little guy. I'm sure he will be OK now but if not I will happily take up the offer of a consult with the Uni vet.

Edited by chezal58

Thanks for your reply Chezal

So glad the little fellow is doing ok.

I am unsure how the a consultation with a Uni vet works (if there are costs associated with it) and fully accept your decision and criteria towards what is best for Bazza, however I shall insist you have his snout Xrayed. I'll be delighted to cover 100% of the costs of his treatment, consultation and will also cover the cost of his meds.

I truly admire your kindness and compassion towards this beautiful young mother and her little ones.How are you going regarding food? I'd be delighted to help you with their feeding needs as well. Perhaps you can provide me with a delivery address as well as your preferred brand and variety of food for Gnarla and her brood and I'll take care of the rest.

I will PM you my phone number and if you need to speak to me you are very welcome to contact me at anytime.

Take care.

Kind regards

Dmayma

Thanks for your reply Chezal

So glad the little fellow is doing ok.

I am unsure how the a consultation with a Uni vet works (if there are costs associated with it) and fully accept your decision and criteria towards what is best for Bazza, however I shall insist you have his snout Xrayed. I'll be delighted to cover 100% of the costs of his treatment, consultation and will also cover the cost of his meds.

I truly admire your kindness and compassion towards this beautiful young mother and her little ones.How are you going regarding food? I'd be delighted to help you with their feeding needs as well. Perhaps you can provide me with a delivery address as well as your preferred brand and variety of food for Gnarla and her brood and I'll take care of the rest.

I will PM you my phone number and if you need to speak to me you are very welcome to contact me at anytime.

Take care.

Kind regards

Dmayma

Thank you. That's super generous. I will make time as soon as I am able to get this done. Probably in Leeton unless the local vet's partner comes back from holidays in the meantime. Just can't trust the local one who wanted to PTS Little Bazza. I have been feeding Advance canned Puppy and am on the last tray. They are getting a can between them morning and night with puppy dry and some home cooked mince and homemade bickkies. They will soon be on two cans morning and night as I notice Narla hardly feeds them any more so have to compensate. Narla eats mostly raw meat and Advance adult dry, and snacks on wonderful home cooked bickkies from k9angel. We have been lucky so far with supplies of raw meat coming from out of date stock at the local supermarket - just amazing! Her milk is drying up naturally and she is getting her girly figure back. :D

So cold here atm that hubby bought a gas patio heater for the pups so we can warm the shed before they go to bed. Of course we have to turn it off but at least they are snuggled down with mum by then. (shed is double garage with roof vents so no gassing may occur). Pups will all need first vacs this Friday so that will be interesting. Collectively they weigh about 32Kgs so will require some creative thinking re shuffling them into the vets. :laugh: Time for more pics and I work towards this soon. Thanks so much again. I will try to keep this post going to keep everyone updated but it has been a wonderful journey so far with the help of the DOL community.

Thanks so much again. I will try to keep this post going to keep everyone updated but it has been a wonderful journey so far with the help of the DOL community.

Great to read your updates.... & not only from the sheer delight of seeing these babies. But we all learn so much from these 'journeys' to save specially vulnerable little ones.

And once again, bless Dymama.

I don't know the process for appointments with the Uni vets in Wagga. Here in Brisbane, it was just a matter of making an appointment at the Uni's vet clinic. Best wishes for whatever you & Dymama decide on.

And huge hugs for the Little Aussie Battler, Bazza. You couldn't have given him a better name that suits. :)

Collectively they weigh about 32Kgs so will require some creative thinking re shuffling them into the vets. :laugh:

Wow! That is a lot of puppy!! They weigh more than my five adults - LOL.

Time for more pics and I work towards this soon. Thanks so much again. I will try to keep this post going to keep everyone updated but it has been a wonderful journey so far with the help of the DOL community.

We'll be keeping you to that, Chezal58. :laugh: :laugh:

As promised here are some photos of Narla and pups taken today. Pups are six weeks old and Narla is only feeding them once a day or when she is ambushed! lol. Pups are already taller and almost as big as my jack russells. They are all booked into the vet for injections tomorrow (Friday) and health checks. Bazza is completely healed and breathing and behaving normally and has caught up to the others in size now.

Narla...

post-34335-0-54828500-1371727543_thumb.jpg post-34335-0-56524300-1371727565_thumb.jpg post-34335-0-10121300-1371727604_thumb.jpg post-34335-0-78810100-1371727631_thumb.jpg

Edited by chezal58

Chezal

Glad to know Gnarla's puppies are safe and well. They are looking very healthy and are all very cute. Gnarla looks a very kind and humble dog and I hope she goes to the best of homes where she can be inside with her family, the expression in her eyes reminds me of my elderbully girl, also a sweetheart.

It appears to me you are comfortable with little Bazza's condition, however, my offer still stands, unchanged, to assist him with whatever he might need. Likewise, my 2nd offer ( to help you with costs associated with their food as well as Gnarla's ) also still stands unchanged. Should you need my assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me at any time. I have a tight schedule tomorrow and unfortunately won't be answering my cell due to attending 2 BM in the afternoon, however you can still send me a text message and I'll call you back as soon as I am at home. Puppies are looking terrific & thanks for the lovely photos.

Kind regards,

Dmayma