Gnarla's Story

Thank you everyone for your advice and help. Today Gnarla ate some ice cream but was not keen to try the tinned Pedigree puppy food. She did eat some raw steak and drank lots of water with Nutrigel paste in it. She also took her AB's no worries. She seems a little brighter but is still reluctant to move so cleaning her bed is not really an option at the moment. I tried enticing her out with some raw meat but that only resulted in her deciding not to eat so can't say that was a success. I could put all the pups in a crate and that might allow her to move but she looks at me so apprehensively when I try I am reluctant to force the issue. She did try to clean a few bums tonight but not a lot of effort in it. Calcium powder is on the way and I will have her back at the vet as soon as I can, but honestly she does seem a little better today. Pups are fat, warm and seem healthy, even though they can't be getting a lot from her, she is doing all the "right" things. I will try chicken wings and formula next, but am confident she is doing better. :D I'm thinking a calcium milk shake with extra ice cream is on tomorrow's menu!

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Small but postive advances Chezal :thumbsup: . Now that her pups are doing well, she might be able to relax and have some left over energy to devote to her own healing. I hope so. God, I am a wreck just trying to keep some weight on my elderly and overall very well cat. You must be exhausted with the worry and horror of what Gnarla and her pups have gone through.

Now, I'll just have a quiet private word with Gnarla. Listen gorgeous girl, you are safe and loved now, you will never know deliberate physical or emotional pain again, or have any of your needs neglected. Start getting all that delicious food into you, clean up your fat happy little bombas and let's have a little tail wag. :love::love:

Retained placentas and no care are a recipe for disaster! Thank you Cheryl, you're amazing! May I suggest kfc chicken? Or the most greasy tuck shop chicken and bacon you can find? Only a little bit but mixed with rice for a filler? Also I would be wary about letting the pups suckle at all as it may be causing pain and taking away very important nutrients. Could you possibly feed them yourselves and then just put them in with her for company with a barrier so they can't suck? That way they still get be together but aren't depleting her system any more than it already is. Again, I can't believe how wonderful you guys are. If I had the money I would donate.

That's a promising update Cheryl. :thumbsup:

You and hubby are doing an amazing job with Gnarla and bubs. :thanks:

It's no wonder she is so sad and depressed, she's been to hell and back, poor girl. It's great she is eating and seems a little brighter though. :)

I am sure with some love, care and time she will come out of her shell. :heart:

Hugs & strength to Gnarla, bubs and to you guys. :grouphug:

Oh and I finished baking her some treats tonight. I did a couple of batches this morning and another tonight. I will post them off tommorow. :)

Dogs are pretty resilient and heal fairly quickly from surgeries that would flatten most humans for a lot longer... but if they are in real pain, it will have an effect of them wanting to eat or move around much.

To promote healing, Gnarla needs to eat and move around more. Can you call the vet and ask about safe pain relief for her? One of my Rotti girls responded well to half a panadol tablet twice a day to take the edge off her surgery pain, and she only needed it for a couple of days - my Lab girl needed Noracarp for hers. Normally you shouldn't give a dog paracetamol, but if you check with the vet for dosage for her current weight, you can tide her over until you can get something better. Looking at her size, I'd say the vet shouldn't have a problem with half a standard 500mg paracetamol tablet for short term use.

T.

Thanks T. I will check with vet today when I collect calcium powder. I am sure she will feel better soon.

Its now an issue of the freezing conditions we have here at them moment. The shed is not real warm and although she is on a heated pet bed, I have found her half off it on two occassions and she will not allow me to lift her (as if I could) back on it. Last night when I went down to feed pups, her whole back end had slid off and the pups were barely on the warm bed. I wish I had a box the same size as the large warm pet bed, but she does tend to lay on the pups at times especially when they crawl into the blankets for warmth. The pups are very warm to touch when I pick them up so she is doing a good job. Once I get a jacket on her I will feel better. I don't know what her reaction will be though as I'm sure shes never worn one before!

I would love to bring her into the house in front of the heater but her poos are like land mines (and still a bit sloppy) and I am very sure she is not house broken, and I have to go to work and leave her too much.

Thank you k9angel. I'm sure she will appreciate your efforts, as much as I do.

See if you can find some newspaper - put it all round the areas that may get cold, 4 or 5 layers worth at least, then put some extra bedding on top. The newspaper will act as a bit of insulation from the floor.

When I have pups out in my granny flat in cooler weather - which is just an old garage divided into 2 rooms - I will put one of those fairly cheap upright heaters in the room, just to raise the temperature in there to a non-freezing level. I also make sure that the pups can't get to it by erecting some of the Bunnings compost cage panels around it or them...

T.

I use hay bales all the time in the winter as it is very cold round here.

stack them in a hollow square or other arrangement to suit the shed.

Great insulation.

Straw or hay + an oil filled heater + old horse blanket over the top = very cosy!

good tip in the breeders thread from Kirislin, try getting some straw bales to build some walls around the area, very insulating

Yes, hay bales are good. Also, as it's inside a barn, see if someone has a roomy but still compact pop-up tent to put their bed in... with flap open, so it's like a cave. That'd help keep the combined body heat of mum & pups in.

It's also possible to get at Op shops, those padded quilts for toddler's beds. Would be great on the floor as they don't get as scrunched up as blankets. Putting blankets underneath the quilt helps hold in heat.... & also goes easy on the poor girl's bones which are sticking out.

Edited by mita

I use hay bales all the time in the winter as it is very cold round here.

stack them in a hollow square or other arrangement to suit the shed.

Great insulation.

Straw or hay + an oil filled heater + old horse blanket over the top = very cosy!

Loving this idea. I wll try to get some ASAP. I do know that a lot of our farmer lost their Hay in the floods in March but maybe there will be some around. I will also insulate from the floor up tomorrow when hubby is home to help me get her out and moving. I have an oil filled heater somewhere I think. I do have blankets here but just need time to bring it all together so that she is cosy. I am sure I can get this done tomorrow!

Thank you for the suggestions.

good tip in the breeders thread from Kirislin, try getting some straw bales to build some walls around the area, very insulating

Yes, hay bales are good. Also, as it's inside a barn, see if someone has a roomy but still compact pop-up tent to put their bed in... with flap open, so it's like a cave. That'd help keep the combined body heat of mum & pups in.

It's also possible to get at Op shops, those padded quilts for toddler's beds. Would be great on the floor as they don't get as scrunched up as blankets. Putting blankets underneath the quilt helps hold in heat.... & also goes easy on the poor girl's bones which are sticking out.

All great suggestions. She is lying on a heated pet bed - the largest one - so its a foam mattress with a lambswool topper and its on a tarp on the floor with blankets on top of that - I think I just need the hay bales to help her stay on the pet bed. Thank you.

Thank you k9angel. I'm sure she will appreciate your efforts, as much as I do.

No problem at all Cheryl. It was my pleasure. They were posted off this morning so should arrive by the end of the week. :)

Yep, I made an actual igloo with a roof and tunnel I had to crawl along to check on the pups. I was so warm in there.

That is so sweet! And practical. A stable 'cave' that keeps the body heat inside.

Guest Wildthing

Old clean cardboard boxes make very good insulation for the floor and do not get messed up like newspaper. A large one could also be used like an igloo, but doubt there would be one big enough for this girl. Straw is an excellent idea - must remember that one for myself for the other animals I have.

Yep cardboard boxes are good too.

104-0493_IMG.jpg

You might be able to get a washing machine one, or an oven or fridge box.

One thing I'd worry a bit about if Gnarla wears a coat is that the pups could get caught in it. They might strangle if they got hooked in the straps.

Cheryl, I don't often post but always read the threads in the rescue section. I think you are doing a wonderful selfless thing for Gnarla and her puppies. I have made a donation into your account to help with your vet bills. It isn't much but hope it helps. Actually, everyone who has commented in this thread has to be commended for all their suggestions and offers of help. You are all wonderful people:)