How Often Do You Have To Cut Your Dogs Nails?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never have to cut them, not even the dew claws. The walks file them down, sometimes I worry they are too short. I dont know why her dew claw never grows though as we dont ever have to cut that either.

It depends how active your dogs are. With my old long departed whippets Kiri and Iris, I rarely needed to cut their nails because they and I were alot more active. I used to take them out riding with me and their nails wore down naturally. As the whippets I have now are aging I need to cut them more often, the girls probably once a month and the boys maybe every 2 months. Penny's always had lovely small fine nails that wear to a point, they're like little prickles whereas Kibahs and Feathers are naturally thicker too.

Never had to cut Maui's nails, we have a concrete backyard (with a grass patch for him to roll/sunbake in) and he goes for daily walks on concrete/grass/paddock...

But I do file his dew claws though, he lays back in my arms whilst I file them, enjoying it immensly :)

Tempeh has been here since last September and I am yet to need to cut any of her nails. Stussy on the other hand has nails that grow overnight and she had a bad nail cutting experience a couple of years ago so cutting them now is a nightmare. She (and her talons) were booked in for a bath and a nail clip last week but then she ended up having emergency surgery before the appointment and the vet's did it while she was out. I was so embarrassed they saw them so long. We have concrete paths and walk on the road and paths but it doesn't seem to help. I've tried filing and desensitizing her but as soon as you touch her toes she flinches and runs off.

My Fauves get their nails clipped weekly and if I didn't I would have a real pickle. Fauves have very fast growing nails and they get out of control VERY, VERY quickly. The other dogs are probably done every couple of months.

Sares I've never had to cut dew claws either, they just don't seem to grow much.

They probably do grow, but active dogs wear them down. Some people think dogs dont need dew claws and although I know they can tear them and it's dreadfully painful when they do, they still use them.

Sares I've never had to cut dew claws either, they just don't seem to grow much.

They probably do grow, but active dogs wear them down. Some people think dogs dont need dew claws and although I know they can tear them and it's dreadfully painful when they do, they still use them.

My dogs are very active, they run on concrete as well but I still have to clip them regularly.

I think some dogs nails just grow faster then others.

They sit pretty high up on her leg though, I can't fathom how she would wear them down where they are LOL

My girls dew claws never touch the ground, they are halfway up her leg! Luckily my boy doesn't have them, so that's one less drama to worry about.

they often use them for sudden stops like this

and look here at the fawn dogs right pastern, this is how they're mostly worn down, it's just that we dont see how they flex with the naked eye.

Here's a good one show flexion where the dew claw comes into play.

Edited by Kirislin

I try to do my guys once a week. Chips nails grow like weeds get really long plus the quick is down quite far. So I'm trying to get it to shrink back in by cutting them regularly. I haven't really seen a difference so far but if the quick keeps coming further out we're going to be in trouble.

I have to do my standard poodles weekly they grow like weeds!

Maddies grow like weeds as well! She has very long quicks so I snip a bit off weekly. Stan's only get done a couple of times a year, beleive me he is not a very active dog so he's not wearing them down they are just stumpy :)

they often use them for sudden stops like this

Ah but see that would require speed to start with, something my basset hound is allergic to :laugh:

lol my pug prefers to use things like walls, or me, or her brothers for sudden stops, her dew claws don't come into it :p