Meant To Be?

As some of you know, I have a litter of pups ATM and I have a bit of a dilemma and want some opinions.

My girl had 9 beautiful puppies and the agreement between my husband and myself was that my sister would be taking the pick of this litter and I would be keeping the pick from the next litter. My sister has chosen.her puppy (with my assistance) and all other pups have deposits on them except for a gorgeous female pup. This pup was initially chosen by a family but before they paid a deposit they advised that they could no longer take the puppy at this time. By this stage she had really taken my (and everyone who saw her) eye. She is very striking to look at is turning into a lovely girl. I told my husband I wanted to keep her but he wants to wait until next litter still. So a few days ago a friend asked to visit puppies and mentioned that they would be interested in one. As I know them and they already have a dog of his breed I agreed and they fell in love with her and wanted to take her. Then I received a message from her last night and they have to find a new house to rent in the next 6 weeks as the owners have decided they want to move back into the house asap and they have a wedding to plan and pay for in the next few months so will be not able to take her.

So by now I'm thinking that this puppy is meant to stay here with us. I do have other people on my waiting list I could contact but I have such a strong feeling that she should be with us!

Just to add, my husband is away ATM and won't be home for another 3 weeks and our contact is sporadic and i'm not guaranteed to be able to talk to him again until he comes home.

So by now I'm thinking that this puppy is meant to stay here with us. I do have other people on my waiting list I could contact but I have such a strong feeling that she should be with us!

I'd go with third time lucky - contact a few people from your waiting list, and if she is still with you after that, then she was meant to stay... *grin*

T.

Sounds like an unstable future for the pup, with owners in rented accomodation, that would be the cause of many dogs being surrendered. :( You know best, when you absolutely have to have something, I would go for it. :D

no reason you have to breed a 2nd litter from your adult bitch if you are going to keep a daughter.

What is the arrangemnet with your sister? Do you have breeding rights with her pup for instance? Are you allowed to keep 3 or more dogs where you are? ie Mum and maybe 2 offspring, do you own Dad as well?

Numbers can build up very quickly if you are not careful, could you rehome your oldies? Would you be prepared to not breed for several years while waiting for the oldies to pass on?

All this and more needs to be taken into consideration.

Edited by Rebanne

Good luck in making your decision.

I can't get my hubby to agree about one of our dogs, he is just being stubborn for some reason.

Have you had another person in your breed go over your litter just to see if what you see in this pup is there?

Doesn't hurt to have a second opinion.

BB

I don't envy your position, but certainly sympathise. Plenty of stories in the Rescue forum about "the one that got away" and the regrets people feel at rehoming particular dogs.

If you suspect there might be difficulties with your husband if you decide to keep this dog, why not just wait until he comes back? In the meantime, just keep going as though she is still up for adoption and if the right home comes along, well then make a decision.

I recognise that after 3 weeks of waiting until husband comes home and the dog is still with you, the idea of adoption will be even more difficult :) .

Rebanne's suggestions seem to be on the money (except for rehoming your oldies).

Rebanne's suggestions seem to be on the money (except for rehoming your oldies).

I wasn't suggesting the OP do this, just pointing out how choices might have to be made. Keep breeding and rehome your oldies, stop breeding and wait. Or keep breeding, keep your oldies and possibly get visited by authorities for animal hoarding etc.

Would it make you more comfortable if you could keep in contact with the people that buy her? Maybe there is a very special home out there for her.

Our boy was the breeders partners favourite, but he wasn't suitable for showing so was sold to us :D We are more than happy to keep in regular contact with them & catch up every so often so that they can see how happy we all are. He is very loved & that makes them very happy to see.

As chance would have it I just received an email from a lady who would like to meet my bitch and learn more about the breed. From the info she gave in the email they sound like a great family (they already own a PB Beagle and 2PB Devon Rex cats), have 4 kids (from 6-16). She mentioned that she is doing research on what breed would fit their lifestyle and wanted to meet my dogs if I'd allow it.

I've told her she is welcome to come for a visit and a chat and we'll see what happens from there.

If I insisted that I keep her it wouldn't cause any major problems with my husband :)

Good luck in making your decision.

I can't get my hubby to agree about one of our dogs, he is just being stubborn for some reason.

Have you had another person in your breed go over your litter just to see if what you see in this pup is there?

Doesn't hurt to have a second opinion.

BB

My bitches breeder and the breeder of my bitches dam have visited and both agree that there is something about this girl (although they also think the whole litter is amazing)

BB

My bitches breeder and the breeder of my bitches dam have visited and both agree that there is something about this girl (although they also think the whole litter is amazing)

Would love to see some photos! :)