Cat Doused With Kerosine And Set Alight

A family has been left devastated after their pet cat was doused in kerosene and set alight in a 'disgraceful' act of animal cruelty in Melbourne's north.

The six-year-old Siamese cat, Luna, was discovered crawling with severe burns on Canisby Way, in Craigieburn, at about 2.45pm last Tuesday.

She had been doused in Kerosene and deliberately set alight in what her owner Danielle La Rose believes was an attempt to extort money.

The family's other Siamese cat, Lilly, went missing a month ago, and they posted flyers around the area offering a reward for her safe return.

Ms La Rose told 7News she received a suspicious call from a man claiming he had found a Siamese cat, and demanded a reward.

She said he became angry and aggressive when told he wouldn't be given any money.

The next day Luna was found dumped under a missing cat poster and wrapped in a kerosene-drenched towel.

Ms La Rose now believes Luna was stolen by someone who had seen a missing poster and wanted to get their hands on the reward money.

Veterinarian Dr Michael Bell, who treated Luna at Craigieburn Animal Hospital, says he is sickened by the attack.

"People obviously knew what they were doing, which is pretty disgusting," he said.

Anyone found guilty of such a crime could face a fine of up to $70,000 or imprisonment.

Luna was treated for 'extensive' burns to her face, legs, ears and stomach and she had several teeth missing.

The Craigieburn community and staff at Craigieburn Animal Hospital have rallied to raise money for Luna's treatment.

The RSPCA and Victoria Police are investigating.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/latest/a/-/newshome/17140997/cat-doused-in-kerosene-set-alight/

Poor Luna. :(

There are some real sicko's out there... :mad

That is so awful, I hope they find the person who did this and throw the book at him.

My hubby is a police officer and his off-sider recently charged an man for slamming a dog head first several times into the wall of a service station. Despite two witnesses who have given statements we will all be very surprised if any animal cruelty charges stick because in the territory that's a minor crime :(

The mans reason was "I own the dog, I'll do whatever I want to it", seems some people still think of animals as personal property with which they can do whatever they want

I have contacted animal welfare previously about the appalling conditions and treatment of dogs in aboriginal camps, but seems too taboo to do anything about it