Thinking About My Next Breed... Shortlist Now Chosen!

I have a Greyhound (race bred) and she is gorgeous. :) She is a silly, goofy dog who loves everyone and everything. As a puppy she was quite boisterous and naughty (like any puppy) but she is now very laid back. She likes to sleep - a lot - but she is just such a funny dog. She knows what she wants and isn't afraid to tell you lol.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I was told when I started researching the Brittany, was that the French lines are more the hunting lines & the American lines are more suitable for pet/show homes. Call a few of the breeders and talk to them (that's what I did) Our boy is from American lines. They really are super smart & just love everyone. You can hunt with them one day & then take them to a show the next.

There are some fantastic breeders in Australia that I have spoken to, really helpful and been with the breed for years and years. Even though I didn't purchase my dog through their kennels they are happy to offer support and ideas - Most of the breeders know each other & who has puppies too. Depending on the time you may have to wait for a pup as most have long waiting lists before the litter is even born.

Thanks for that, first hand accounts from people with the breeds is just what I was after. Any other info you can give is much appreciated, everyday life stuff that you don't tend to find in books and on the Internet especially is very helpful.

Actually there are great show dogs in both European and American lines, I have seen both, American dogs in Australia and European dogs in Europe. They are a different type, most peole who have European lines in Australia and New Zealand do not show, but there are some around and some nice ones. There is a Brittany club in New Zealand that you may wish to contact as well, http://www.brittanydogclub.co.nz/

I think you should reconsider a ridgeback! We have a 7 month old boy and hes got a gorgeous temperament and with meeting people at park/friends houses; he actually is probably a bit too dog friendly lol he wants to play when dogs dont; his dad is the same it does all depend on their lines though; their is a couple ive met at the park who arent like him or the RR's weve met at shows they werent aggresive just not interested in interacting, At home we have two house bunnys and he is very calm around them! He has his crazy moments but with mat training they've been minimized, he's also great at letting us know when someones coming but aslong as I let him out to greet people he relaxes straight away. He is a big lapdog, infact he is lying on me now, also very smart dogs!