Mars Coat King - Which Size

Hi All,

Have read a lot of good reviews about the Mars Coat King, and equally had excellent reviews from the Breeder I got my puppy from. I've read on one site by someone who is a professional groomer, specifically stripping mini schnauzers, that for dogs not being shown, the 6 blade and the 10 blade have been excellent, but not the recommended ones on the Mars site.

Just wanting to check what the experience from all of you has been.

Also, at what age would I start? We have a 10 week old puppy, and he's getting brushed daily for him to get used to it (still trying to eat the brush though!). Is it ok to start now?

Would love to hear from experience - do's, don'ts, success stories and whoopsie stories of any who have used one.

Edited by wonder

The mars coat kings we rarely use on the Minis & it would have to have an amazing coat to start with for the coat king to be any good.Very few show people use them

The coat kings are fine for the Stds & giants as there coat texture naturally are way harsher but Minis not so much but this is for pets only again

If you wish to maintain the harsh coat you really need to hand strip it correctly the first time & then try & roll the coat .

The coat King will not keep the coat harsh & do all the work you will still need to use other tools especially for the head .

Once you have a good coat you can use a slick n Easy to pluck the dead coat out & other tools plus the obvious part of clipping throat ,bum,belly & ears unless you plan to strip the ears as well (not many do

The sizes you have listed wouldn't be suitable ,you would need the higher numbers i think its 24 (without looking at ours)

Edited by showdog

save your money and get yourself a set of curved Mikki stripping knives.

When pup is about 4 months old, pull out the long hair and this will start the harsh coat to grow in as a new coat, meanwhile use the stripping knives to comb through the undercoat to pull that out from the roots too (this is in effect taking the weeds out of the garden to allow the plants - aka harsh top coat - to grow in.)

Not all mini coats are going to be good for stripping, if your pup is still looking more dobermann then pomeranian, then you should have a good coat to work with, the fluffier the pup at this age, the more work you will need to do on a more regular basis to get a mediocre coat.

There is NO WAY I would put a coat king anywhere near any of my show dogs - mini or giant and both my breeds that I own have harsh coats (and the giants have harsh leg hair too which can be stripped)