Zig Isn't Well

Staffyluv

About 6.30 he came in at dinner time and I noticed a long bit of drool hanging from his mouth. I checked his mouth and teeth and couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. Teeth all OK, no cuts and pink gums that when pressed go back to pink quickly.

He ate a bit of dinner - had a play for a while and seemed to be fine.

He was going in and out (via the dog door) a few times so I went out to see what he was doing and he was eating grass.

About an hour ago, I noticed another long drool from the other side of his mouth.

His tummy is rumbling a bit and feels quite tight (not overly so but more than usual), he is still drooling (it is pooling under his lips on the blanket he is laying on), his nose is quite warm and so are his ears (I don't have a thermometer here at the moment). He is abnormally quiet - just laying there, awake but just laying still.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is he trying to vomit but not producing anything?

Is his stomach distended? If both of those are present, I'd be headed for the vet.

Otherwise, he sounds nauseous. Watch him closely. If he starts getting restless or uncomfortable, head for the vet.

Lets hope he's just off colour.

is he trying to vomit but not producing anything?

Is his stomach distended? If both of those are present, I'd be headed for the vet.

Otherwise, he sounds nauseous. Watch him closely. If he starts getting restless or uncomfortable, head for the vet.

Lets hope he's just off colour.

No, not trying to vomit at all. Did have a feast on grass earlier but that was it.

Tummy isn't distended but is definitely firmer than it should be.

He is just laying there - like he doesn't want to move.

Is he a drooler normally? That would concern me but only because mine aren't droolers, even when they have an upset tummy. Hopefully he's just got a tummy bug.

Only really a drooler if there is really good food smells but other than that, no.

Phone a vet clinic and speak to a vet ..not a receptionist ... in case of bloat .. better to get there early than wait too long ...or have it just be a belly ache !

Hope he's feeling better soon.

take care

I just called the emergency vet and spoke to them over there.

They got me to go over him, check his mouth again, feel his tummy and tell them what it felt like.

They also think it is probably just an upset tummy but if the drool continues and I am worried, I can call them and go over.

Bloat is what I was worried about - the thought of it scares the bejeebus out of me.

Thanks guys, I can't see me getting much sleep because I am watching him like a hawk at the moment..

Yep they do know how to worry us.

Yep, you'll be the walking dead in the morning... we've all had a few of those. Hope you don't have to do the trip to Fyshwick.

Me too HW. I am hoping it is just an upset tummy from eating some manky bone he has dug up.

He just got up and walked outside again and when he is standing up, his tummy is really tight. Not as bad when he is laying down.

It could be nothing but if i see stuff like that i don't muck around as it's the sign of poisoning among a couple of other things. Just call your vet and have a chat, better safe than sorry.

I have already called the vet MUP. They said to monitor him and if I am still concerned to bring him in.

Our yard is very enclosed and I have had locks on the gates since some tool followed me home home last year asking about him.

I doubt there is anything that could poison him in the yard, no compost heap and all chemicals are in the shed up high (he has no access to the shed).

I have a sneaking suspicion that he has dug up a bone and it has been more 'off' than usual and it has upset his tummy - well that is what I am hoping for because he will recover from that pretty easy.

I'm paranoid with the hound - he is on intimate terms with our local 24 hour vet - particularly the vet nurses who work long weekends, late night shifts or even late night shifts on long weekends *L* Hoping Zig just has an upset tummy and all is OK - fingers crossed he can settle and you can get some sleep

Hopefully it's just an upset tummy, poor little Zig.

Daina had very similar symptoms late one Good Friday night (of course). I was very concerned so took her to an emergency vet. They did 2 examinations with a large break in between and couldn't find a thing wrong with her! When they brought her out she was perky and wanting to play, little bitch :laugh: Scaring me like that!